Countdown to Budds Creek

D

Digger

THIS could get fun.

CompetitionPlus.com has learned from multiple sources that NHRA Funny Car racer Bob Tasca III was denied entry for this weekend's IHRA Torco President's Cup Nationals in Budds Creek, Md. Expect the Ford Motorcraft-sponsored team to join in Martin, Michigan on Friday with Don Schumacher's collection of nitro teams testing a multitude of items including the three-rail chassis required by Denver. The new Goodyear 2550 tire will not be available until next weekend in Englishtown.

IHRA President Aaron Polburn told CompetitionPlus.com in an exclusive interview that he'd discourage NHRA teams from using IHRA events as a test and tune venture while the NHRA's moratorium on testing is in effect. He cited championship points, monies for regulars and limited supply of nitromethane as his reasons.

Nice going, IHRA. :rolleyes:

Bunny Burkett will be honored at the Maryland International Raceway at a dedication ceremony.

Bunny Burkett to be Honored at Maryland International Raceway June 12 1985 IHRA Alcohol Funny Car [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Champion[/FONT][/FONT] to be immortalized at her home track

MECHANICSVILLE, MD. - Bunny Burkett, a Fredericksburg, Virginia native who made Maryland International Raceway her home, will be honored Thursday, June 12, when the facility unveils its $1 million [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]facelift[/FONT][/FONT] prior to the 2008 IHRA President's Cup Nationals.

Burkett has donated the Chrysler Lazer Funny Car she drove to her world title to the track and it will be displayed atop the new "Hot Rodz" concession area at MIR. Though Burkett has been asked numerous times to put the car on display at different racing halls of fame, she never wanted to let it leave her possession. However, during a phone call with MIR owner Royce Miller, where he was telling her about the [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]renovations[/FONT][/FONT] to the track she loves so dearly, she offered to put the car on display.

"That car is a piece of racing history," Miller said. "We're honored Bunny wanted to make it a part of our renovation project and it will definitely enhance the look of the place."

For Burkett it was an easy decision.

"I love MIR," she said. "It's my home track and my favorite track."

I WILL be attending this live on scene, and will post pics for MIRDRAG.com and online at my online racing photo album at Southern Maryland Online. ;)

Back
Top Bottom