Craig Breen -- a perspective

So, I'm not even sure why I am posting this here, but I am going to take a shot at making this relevant to NASCAR.....Hyundai World Rally driver Craig Breen was killed in a testing crash today. Yes Hyundai--not Toyota.....I am crushed. Here's why....This guy loved to drive. Rally car drivers often talk about "enjoying the driving." Craig was actually drawn to tears after a stage in Finland because of the overwhelming joy he felt wheeling his car.

Craig made it easy to love rally. His attitude was infectious. I truly wish we could see more of this in NASCAR instead of bitching about revenue sharing, penalties, drivers taking each other out, fights, and bull**** like that.

This is going to be a rough day. The reality sets in that if we don't tune in, these guys don't have jobs....but at least they go home to their families.

Apologies if this doesn't belong here....

RIP Craig Breen

RIP Craig

That being said of everything you said that you wish wasn't in nascar, the only thing I agree with is arguing over revenue sharing. All the rest is what makes nascar, nascar.

Hyundai World Rally driver Craig Breen was killed in a testing crash today. Yes Hyundai--not Toyota.....I am crushed. Here's why....This guy loved to drive. Rally car drivers often talk about "enjoying the driving." Craig was actually drawn to tears after a stage in Finland because of the overwhelming joy he felt wheeling his car.
This is yet another brutal reminder that there will never be 100 % safety in our sport, Rally1 cars are about as safe as Rally cars can be.
There's a back story to this. Finland 2016 was Craig's first podium. His co-driver Gareth Roberts was killed in a crash four years earlier. Craig wanted to retire from rallying after that crash but Roberts' parents encouraged him to keep going.

Rally racing is the auto equivalent of the motorcycles Isle of Mann. They aren't racing on a race track, but on roads in some of the more shall we say "scenic" parts of the countryside at break neck speed. It's surprising there aren't more casualties. Craig Breen died doing what he loved. RIP.

Rally racing is the auto equivalent of the motorcycles Isle of Mann. They aren't racing on a race track, but on roads in some of the more shall we say "scenic" parts of the countryside at break neck speed. It's surprising there aren't more casualties. Craig Breen died doing what he loved. RIP.
well said.

@Mr Excitement do you agree? Rally is to auto racing as ile of man is to motorcycles?

I am suprised more bystanders arent injured they are usually close to the track

well said.

@Mr Excitement do you agree? Rally is to auto racing as ile of man is to motorcycles?

I am suprised more bystanders arent injured they are usually close to the track
Unfortunately there have been several fatalities involving bystanders in the last few years. I often attend local rallies and usually the marshalls keep an eye on the spectators and prevent them from going to dangerous spots but some folks don't listen.

Rallying is dangerous but I wouldn't say it's equal to IOMTT motorcycle racing. When TT riders crash they can only pray that they don't hit anything, rally drivers at least have a roll cage around them.

what is the most dangerous motorsport other than motorcycles?

RIP its been a rough week for racing, lost Justin Owen in a USAC crash over the weekend, Jake Neuman is lucky to not be more hurt from his sprint car crash Tuesday.

This is yet another brutal reminder that there will never be 100 % safety in our sport, Rally1 cars are about as safe as Rally cars can be.
There's a back story to this. Finland 2016 was Craig's first podium. His co-driver Gareth Roberts was killed in a crash four years earlier. Craig wanted to retire from rallying after that crash but Roberts' parents encouraged him to keep going.
Retiring after losing is co-driver would be so Breen. Thank you for sharing that. Not sure how I am going to watch next weekend....but I will. I am gutted. I only root for Toyota, but I cannot tell you how many times I called my wife over to the computer, and said, "Listen to this guy. He just loves this. This cannot be fake." I suppose I look at it this way....If there was one guy I would have loved to have in a Toyota, it was Craig. People who have been around here know that that is the highest compliment I can give a driver.

Retiring after losing is co-driver would be so Breen. Thank you for sharing that. Not sure how I am going to watch next weekend....but I will. I am gutted. I only root for Toyota, but I cannot tell you how many times I called my wife over to the computer, and said, "Listen to this guy. He just loves this. This cannot be fake." I suppose I look at it this way....If there was one guy I would have loved to have in a Toyota, it was Craig. People who have been around here know that that is the highest compliment I can give a driver.
I couldn't care less who wins next weekend but I'm sure there will some moving tributes.
Craig was overjoyed when he was competing for the win during Rally Sweden in February after a difficult 2022 season. It felt like it was a question of time when he'll finally get his first win. No way I would have thought this was gonna turn out to be his last rally.

Craig will be missed and this is how he will be remembered

Back
Top Bottom