Crew Member Injured at Atlanta

I don't remember hearing anything about this during the race...which is pretty strange.

Such a big deal made for Brad fighting thru "flu-like symptoms" for the win.

MEANWHILE, a crew member is mowed down -- blue collar worker doing his best under-the-gun gets a serious injury with barely any mention or coverage. Yet the media want to emphasize Brad's toughness over and over again.

Something is wrong. Cover both and recognize the crew members with a bit more respect.

Off Topic.....Didn't know that JTG got its crew members from Hendrick. Thought that was just a JGR/affiliate thing.....and nobody has ever bitched. :idunno:

Such a big deal made for Brad fighting thru "flu-like symptoms" for the win.

MEANWHILE, a crew member is mowed down -- blue collar worker doing his best under-the-gun gets a serious injury with barely any mention or coverage. Yet the media want to emphasize Brad's toughness over and over again.

Something is wrong. Cover both and recognize the crew members with a bit more respect.
The networks are reluctant to discuss severe accidents until the full extent of the injuries are known. Ever notice they won't show replays of an major accident right away? They do it to avoid possibly replaying a fatal incident. I recall it was at least 10 minutes before they'd show Robert Wickens' injury in the IndyCar race at Pocono last fall. I don't think Dan Wheldon's accident at Vegas was replayed at all during the coverage.

It isn't a matter of driver vs. crewman, it's a case of one person not being likely to die of the flu vs. someone in possibly critical condition.

They mentioned that he was pinned against the wall when the car spun immediately after the incident happened. They said he was able to free himself and walk away......on what turned out to be a broken fibula and torn ACL......I believe they came and took him away on a golf cart and all he wanted to do was "get back out there."

The networks are reluctant to discuss severe accidents until the full extent of the injuries are known. Ever notice they won't show replays of an major accident right away? They do it to avoid possibly replaying a fatal incident. I recall it was at least 10 minutes before they'd show Robert Wickens' injury in the IndyCar race at Pocono last fall. I don't think Dan Wheldon's accident at Vegas was replayed at all during the coverage.

It isn't a matter of driver vs. crewman, it's a case of one person not being likely to die of the flu vs. someone in possibly critical condition.

No.

When Almirola got seriously injured in the Logano/Danica wreck, there was full coverage. Plenty of updates.

NASCAR has been good about showing the team aspects of this motorsport, especially the over the wall crew -- a lot better than Indy and Formula 1. But they missed proper coverage on this event. IMHO

KyBu hitting the wall in an Xfinity Car at Daytona (the start of his championship season) -- Full Coverage, replay after replay shown. Everybody stepping up or pushed in front of the mic to address track safety. Reporting of facts and analysis of what occurred and how to prevent it.

Drivers and pit crew are treated differently. I get that, but NASCAR should balance the coverage. IMHO

Off Topic.....Didn't know that JTG got its crew members from Hendrick. Thought that was just a JGR/affiliate thing.....and nobody has ever bitched. :idunno:
In this case I don't think HMS CC's will pull an Adam.
SHR also provides pit crews to a small team as does RCR.

JGR is teaching them well. :D

When Chad Knaus goes into the #37 garage space, and refuses to leave when requested, and mouths off like an asshat... and when Rick Hendrick responds to the incident by suspending *only* the #37 crew members... that's when you will hear plenty of comment...:idunno:

When Chad Knaus goes into the #37 garage space, and refuses to leave when requested, and mouths off like an asshat... and when Rick Hendrick responds to the incident by suspending *only* the #37 crew members... that's when you will hear plenty of comment...:idunno:

Well, the way Hendrick is running, the 37 is a reasonable target, so conflict is just a matter of time.

View from pitbox.

Ugly truth.

Hope NASCAR doesn't use any of that pit road incident in their marketing. Two mistakes -- not paying attention (tach) on the way out of the box and hanging your ass out in the active lane while struggling to get into your pit box (Mike Joy rant).

Drivers are responsible for controlling their car.

NASCAR going into hiding on this is not a good look.

Why would NASCAR use footage of an injury for marketing? You remember Mike Rich? Bill Elliots tire changer that got killed on pit road. They never used that for marketing. Have they ever used fatalities or injuries for marketing?

Why would NASCAR use footage of an injury for marketing? You remember Mike Rich? Bill Elliots tire changer that got killed on pit road. They never used that for marketing. Have they ever used fatalities or injuries for marketing?
No, someone is making something out of nothing.

NASCAR uses crash videos for marketing all the time. I didn't say they would use this one.

Out of respect for the family. It's nuts to do so. Hopefully we as a people can understand and respect that.

I understand the man walked away. Broken leg and torn muscle. He should do a commercial. For some tough guy product. The man is a bada!!.

Simple solution for today's problems on pit road is Green Pit Stops ONLY.

That is untrue. Wheldon's crash was replayed multiple times before he was even extricated from his car. Wicken's crash was also replayed multiple times before anyone knew of his inury. From what I recall, only ARCA has a strict no-replay clause until it is known all drivers are conscious & alert.

But on topic...I'm still surprised that there are not more strict rules for pit road and I've been saying this for over a decade. It will be a matter of time (hopefully pre-fatal injury) before we see catch fences on the pit wall with a "door" for crew members to enter once their car is completely stopped in the pit box. I'm still baffled why there is no fence on the pit walls to prevent flying debris from hitting crew members, especially considering NASCAR is supposedly all about safety as of late.

Last edited:
NASCAR uses crash videos for marketing all the time. I didn't say they would use this one.

But your tone shows no respect for the point. That is your burden.

You stated you ( hoped) NASCAR wouldn't use this footage for marketing, which leads me to believe you think they might do that. The guys that go over the wall know the risk, no one forces them to participate. Same for the drivers. Spotter22 is correct. Burden? Accidents happen on the track and occasionally on pit road. I'm sure the crew member figured that out up front. Probably won't retain a lawyer.

But on topic...I'm still surprised that there are not more strict rules for pit road and I've been saying this for over a decade. It will be a matter of time (hopefully pre-fatal injury) before we see catch fences on the pit wall with a "door" for crew members to enter once their car is completely stopped in the pit box. I'm still baffled why there is no fence on the pit walls to prevent flying debris from hitting crew members, especially considering NASCAR is supposedly all about safety as of late.
NASCAR has reduced the number of crew members on pit road and they've limited when they can actually cross the wall, these are recent changes. They established the pit road speed limit after Elliot's crew member was killed.

NASCAR has reduced the number of crew members on pit road and they've limited when they can actually cross the wall, these are recent changes. They established the pit road speed limit after Elliot's crew member was killed.

And after a pit road mishap at Homestead in the early 2000s, NASCAR implemented crew members wearing helments. Try as they might for absolute safety, guys are still going to get injured.

"Aric Almirola 'pretty pissed' media took graphic photos of NASCAR crash"
- Matt Weaver

I also remember a NASCAR commercial using Aric's footage of his car getting hit and lifted on his fiery Kansas crash.

Last edited:
- Matt Weaver

I also remember a NASCAR commercial using Aric's footage of his car getting hit and lifted on his fiery Kansas crash.
wonder which ones were graphic.

wonder which ones were graphic.

NASCAR use excellent discretion with their coverage of injuries or worse. I think they excercise a fair balance in that area. They generally report facts, and are cautious not to over react. And they pay the proper amount of attention to each instance. It's usually a story inside if the big story of the race itself.

- Matt Weaver

Almirola is refering to photos of him being cut out of the car, NASCAR never used his crash as an ad. Never.

Almirola is refering to photos of him being cut out of the car, NASCAR never used his crash as an ad. Never.

I never said NASCAR was promoting a race with the images that were sent out of Almirola for the extraction -- Almirola has every right to say what he said, and he went on to articulate why he was not happy. That isn't debatable.

I did see the fiery crash promoting the race, similar to MANY other wrecks promoting races.

Last edited:
If you read Aric's "what if" take, it made sense -- a lot of sense.

NASCAR promotes races with fights and wrecks -- it is what it is.

I have never seen that crash used in advertising either. NASCAR uses great discretion in their adds. I have seen them use of scuffles and such. Harmless in my opinion. It simply illustrates the raw emotion of the sport. Nothing wrong with that.

You stated you ( hoped) NASCAR wouldn't use this footage for marketing, which leads me to believe you think they might do that. The guys that go over the wall know the risk, no one forces them to participate. Same for the drivers. Spotter22 is correct. Burden? Accidents happen on the track and occasionally on pit road. I'm sure the crew member figured that out up front. Probably won't retain a lawyer.[/QUOTE]
Unlike pedestrians that cross traffic any place and expect to be safe.

I never said NASCAR was promoting a race with the images that were sent out of Almirola for the extraction -- Almirola has every right to say what he said, and he went on to articulate why he was not happy. That isn't debatable.

I did see the fiery crash promoting the race, similar to MANY other wrecks promoting races.
NASCAR is not FOX, FS1,NBC,NBCSN.

Back
Top Bottom