Crowd reactions in driver introductions

4xchampncountin

I was mildly surprised by the booing certain drivers recieved from the crowd during the driver introductions at The Winston. Ryan Newman comes to mind (although the big-dopey crew guy in the 80's rocker wig may have had something to do with that reaction). I never really thought of him as a guy people love to hate. Although I guess he fits the profile of someone NASCAR fans love to boo. He is articulate (a cardinal sin to some), has no southern drawl, and he is well educated and he had some success very early in his career.

Any surprises for you?

I was there, my friend.. and let me tell ya, it was one HELLUVA race!!!!

Biggest "booing" surprise I heard.... quite a few was booing Jr! It might not of sounded like it on TV, but trust me... there was quiet a bit of boos in there..
Tony Stewart was another one they boo'ed the hell out of, and so was Kurt Busch.. but the one with the most was Jeff Gordon.

Originally posted by bud_stud@May 18 2003, 02:11 PM

Biggest "booing" surprise I heard.... quite a few was booing Jr! It might not of sounded like it on TV, but trust me... there was quiet a bit of boos in there..
Tony Stewart was another one they boo'ed the hell out of, and so was Kurt Busch.. but the one with the most was Jeff Gordon.
That really doesn't surprise me that people were booing Junior. Although, what we heard on the TV was pretty much nothing but unadulterated love for the "Chosen One". I'm not sure how Fox got lucky enough to only pick up the good stuff for him, but I'm sure it was well planned.

I did hear a lot of booing for Tony Stewart. I kind of felt bad for the guy. He is a hell of a driver and is the defending champ. At least he has earned his success. People could show some respect. <_<

I was just glad the pope wasn't drivin. Would had to gone thru intro of all the cardinals.

I couldn't believe how much booing went on. It really surprised me that drivers like Tony stewart, ryan newman got boo'd. But then every driver that has a fan, also has an anti-fan.

You gotta remember, NASCAR fans were comparing Newman to Stewart after Newmans rollover at Talladega, saying his temper is out of control when he walked away from Jeanie.

If you ain't Jr and you're a good driver, you get booed.

Specators should be ashamed!

These guys are putting their lives on the line to entertain the crowd. So what do they get? Boos during introductions.

I wonder if Billy Bob with the beer can in his hand would like it if he got boos when he walked in the door at work.

Can't you just picture that?

Here's part of the problem with racin.

entertain the crowd

Racin is competition, the crowed needs entertained they should go to a movie.

A few of the drivers didnt stay on the stage for long, they looked a bit annoyed that they were getting booed.
:salute:

But if you ask any one of the drivers, they will tell you that they would rather hear cheers and/or jeers than silence.
;)

I dont think it is a bad thing, everyone one has drivers they dont like. If I was there on sat Kurt Bush would have got my booo, It all adds to the atmosphere :cheers:

Originally posted by Sleeper@May 19 2003, 01:06 PM

These guys are putting their lives on the line to entertain the crowd. So what do they get? Boos during introductions.

I wonder if Billy Bob with the beer can in his hand would like it if he got boos when he walked in the door at work.

They are not there to entertain the crowd. That is the promoters job. The racers are there for their own reasons, fame,fortune or just the thrill of it, but pleasing the crowd is not a factor. Theydo however make appearances and sign autographs for the fans, but then again, that might be for the sponsors.

Originally posted by racerx11+May 20 2003, 12:05 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (racerx11 @ May 20 2003, 12:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Sleeper@May 19 2003, 01:06 PM

These guys are putting their lives on the line to entertain the crowd.&nbsp; So what do they get?&nbsp; Boos during introductions.

They are not there to entertain the crowd. That is the promoters job. The racers are there for their own reasons, fame,fortune or just the thrill of it, but pleasing the crowd is not a factor. Theydo however make appearances and sign autographs for the fans, but then again, that might be for the sponsors. [/b][/quote]
I am sure that some of the drivers try to give the fans a good race at the same time though... ;)

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin+May 18 2003, 05:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (4xchampncountin @ May 18 2003, 05:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--bud_stud@May 18 2003, 02:11 PM

Biggest "booing" surprise I heard.... quite a few was booing Jr!&nbsp; It might not of sounded like it on TV, but trust me... there was quiet a bit of boos in there..
Tony Stewart was another one they boo'ed the hell out of, and so was Kurt Busch..&nbsp; but the one with the most was Jeff Gordon.
That really doesn't surprise me that people were booing Junior. Although, what we heard on the TV was pretty much nothing but unadulterated love for the "Chosen One". I'm not sure how Fox got lucky enough to only pick up the good stuff for him, but I'm sure it was well planned.

I did hear a lot of booing for Tony Stewart. I kind of felt bad for the guy. He is a hell of a driver and is the defending champ. At least he has earned his success. People could show some respect. <_< [/b][/quote]
Maybe you just didn't want to hear the boo's because of your dislike for Jr. and you thinking he is the chosen one.

Originally posted by EJL@May 20 2003, 10:34 AM
Here's part of the problem with racin.

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; entertain the crowd

Racin is competition, the crowed needs entertained they should go to a movie.
Lets put things into perspective. Racing has evolved from a few guys trying to see who can go faster. to Million dollar sponsors trying to get noticed on TV and millions of fans all over the world tuning in to watch.

Yes, Racing is a sport, a great sport, but it is also entertainment. Fans don't race, they Watch or in other words are entertained. Maybe that is part of the problem. Some of them think they drive. They develop love and hate relationships with drivers they hardly know.

I just find it sad that the fans can't take one night to HONOR all the drivers for the effort they put forth every weekend. They are the ones who risk it all to entertain you and me. They participate in the "Sport" and "we" get entertained.

The really sad thing is Billy Bob Boo and the boys can go back to their trailer parks and sleep off the case of beer they consumed at the track while Guys like Jerry Nadeau fights for his life and Bill Elliot gets a cast for his broken foot.

I may like some drivers and not like others based on performance and things they say in the press, but I respect all of them. At a so-called All Star event they all deserve a little respect when introduced.

:salute:

It boggles my mind that the one driver most comparable to Sr (Busch) has the most dislike from his leftover fans.

You cant compare anybody to Dale Sr, there is nobody like him!
Sure.. other drivers win, but none of them compare to Earnhardt Sr..

Originally posted by bud_stud@May 21 2003, 12:59 PM
You cant compare anybody to Dale Sr, there is nobody like him!
Sure.. other drivers win, but none of them compare to Earnhardt Sr..
I can give you one. An obscure drive by the name of Richard Petty.
Richard did his share of door banging but never made his name by the bump and run. .....or as some call it "Rattle his cage a little". Big "E" used to irritate him to no end.

Busch is the same type of driver that DW, Sr., and yes Geoff Bodine were in their earlier years. I just hope he drives and lives long enough to learn better. He is arrogant but has guts and talent. Just needs to mellow a little. :cheers:

Originally posted by paul@May 21 2003, 05:34 PM
It boggles my mind that the one driver most comparable to Sr (Busch) has the most dislike from his leftover fans.
I like Bush, and as i have said in the past i really haven't found a driver to be loyal to since 2/18. However if Bush drove a Chevy i think i would have a driver to pull for.

Back
Top Bottom