cutting the cable and still watch nascar

HIGHLY recommend it. The only downside is no History channel and some regional Fox Sports channels have been temporarily removed until a new deal can be made.

I thought the unlimited dvr was too good to be true, but nope, took a little to figure how to add to library and such. Got a Roku menu setup finally to operate it, works like a dream. I'd trade out a few channels on their live tv for channels used to have, other than that prettay prettay good.

My Roku box bit the dust. Only had it 2 years. Didn't use it a whole lot. Tried using it a few weeks ago. Dead!

So the box is legal. Do the apps provide content legally? "I don't know" is acceptable answer, by the way.

You're on the right track. The device itself is legal. The IPTV services offering thousands of channels, PPV events, and huge libraries of content are quite obviously legally murky and dubious, let's say. Most of them are technically based offshore, making enforcement more difficult. None of them are likely to last in the long term, if stability is a priority. Though with the way these things have evolved, they would likely be replaced by something similar.

On an individual level, my attitude is pretty much "Do what you feel comfortable with." I run a hospitality business and have cable at home, so I'm paying cable operators $1,500 per month for TV service at many locations. I also pay subscriptions for dirt racing streaming networks that I wouldn't feel right about accessing illicitly, because the broadcasts wouldn't exist without the subscription revenue. Having said that, I've also toyed with the less-than-above-board options, such as when I'm trying to watch an out-of-market NFL game or when I'm hit with a ridiculous "this content is only available via your home WiFi" limitation when I'm traveling.

To each their own, for the most part.

I thought the unlimited dvr was too good to be true, but nope, took a little to figure how to add to library and such. Got a Roku menu setup finally to operate it, works like a dream. I'd trade out a few channels on their live tv for channels used to have, other than that prettay prettay good.

forgot to mention the coolest part of youtube tv library is it knows to extend the recording on sporting events (still waiting for it to mess up on that, perhaps a very long rain delay or something). In the past with Cox AT&T etc I've had to manually add on recording programs to make sure I don't get cut off.

Not
forgot to mention the coolest part of youtube tv library is it knows to extend the recording on sporting events (still waiting for it to mess up on that, perhaps a very long rain delay or something). In the past with Cox AT&T etc I've had to manually add on recording programs to make sure I don't get cut off.
Not only does it automatically extend sporting events, but in those cases and cases where the event goes under its projected time, the DVR automatically adds 15-60 minutes. This way you won't know for sure how an event will end if it is a close game...so if there's an hour left in the recording but the game is tied with 3 seconds left in regulation, you won't be "spoiled" knowing that it for sure will or won't go into overtime.

You can also disable the DVR from showing you the final score/result in your library.

Another thought
When I had cable I sat and watch the good and the boring races (Cup, Bush n trucks) when the race was over I had feeling that I’d just wasted the day away, nothing got done, not that something needed to get done.

now no cable, I listen to MRN or PRN thru my $6000 ear buds (hearing aids) and get to be outside piddling around

this week I want to see the dirt race, so I’m gonna sign up for a free trial of YouTube live tv and cancel next week.

don’t feel like I’m wasting my days away

Another thought
When I had cable I sat and watch the good and the boring races (Cup, Bush n trucks) when the race was over I had feeling that I’d just wasted the day away, nothing got done, not that something needed to get done.

now no cable, I listen to MRN or PRN thru my $6000 ear buds (hearing aids) and get to be outside piddling around

this week I want to see the dirt race, so I’m gonna sign up for a free trial of YouTube live tv and cancel next week.

don’t feel like I’m wasting my days away
My wife would love it if I did the same, excluding the $6000 hearing aids.

Another thought
Weather permitting, I usually watch races in the garage or the deck. I get up at commercials and do yard work.

I'm a little opposite of some on here. I start getting ready for race day a couple of days earlier by stopping at the store and picking up some goodies to snack on. I don't plan anything on race day that I would have to go outside to do unless it is to grill something to snack on. I am usually up before daylight like a kid on Christmas morning excited to unwrap presents. The first thing I do is check RF to see what racing chatter is going on and then I make a nice breakfast that will hold me over until snack time during the race. When it's pre race time the phone is clicked to silent and the next 4 to 5 hours is dedicated strictly to NASCAR racing. During the commercials I will check in to the race thread to see what everyone is happy about or whining about and then after the race is over I go have some dinner and then come back and check the racing thread again to see what else everyone is either happy about or whining about. Then it's time for some desert or popcorn and more tv. :D

I'm a little opposite of some on here. I start getting ready for race day a couple of days earlier by stopping at the store and picking up some goodies to snack on. I don't plan anything on race day that I would have to go outside to do unless it is to grill something to snack on. I am usually up before daylight like a kid on Christmas morning excited to unwrap presents. The first thing I do is check RF to see what racing chatter is going on and then I make a nice breakfast that will hold me over until snack time during the race. When it's pre race time the phone is clicked to silent and the next 4 to 5 hours is dedicated strictly to NASCAR racing. During the commercials I will check in to the race thread to see what everyone is happy about or whining about and then after the race is over I go have some dinner and then come back and check the racing thread again to see what else everyone is either happy about or whining about. Then it's time for some desert or popcorn and more tv. :D
This may be the best post I've ever read in here. :cheers:

Weather permitting, I usually watch races in the garage or the deck. I get up at commercials and do yard work.
In that case you should be getting a lot of work done. The side by side helps networks beat the law on % of content.

There are no laws or regulations in the U.S. limiting the amount of commercials shown for broadcast or cable networks, except for children's programming.

There were never limits on cable. Limits for broadcast were removed in the early 1980s.

There are in Canada. I see about 1/4 of the hour is commercial when I watch a USA station. 1 hour taped shows are about 46 min long so that works out to be about the same as Canada.

Xfinity customer service s_cks...I pay about $150 per month for cable only. For some reason FS1 hi-def is the only channel I have found that I have a problem with pixelating. You wouldn't believe what Xfinity did. First they said they sent a "signal" to fix it. That didn't work then they said they were sending a "super signal", you can't make this up. That didn't work. Next they said I had a bad DVR/reciever box. Tried new box, that didn't work. All this time I kept telling them it must be the cable from the pole to the TV. They finally said they have a crew working in my area replacing cable lines and they should fix it. I asked them when, they said they weren't sure. That was a month ago. Still can't watch hi def FS1.

Bringing this back up since races are back on NBC sports

try this
This guy showed all the NBC races last year
http//tiny.cc/bsracing2
Then select the
briansweet.me
In twitch

Last edited:
Bringing this back up since races are back on NBC sports

try this
This guy showed all the NBC races last year
http//tiny.cc/bsracing2
Then select the
briansweet.me
In twitch
I have used that link for several years. For a while he stopped doing NASCAR.

Sports bay dot org

You can watch damn near any sporting event you want.

please delete if this violates any forum rules.

Back
Top Bottom