D-Day June 6th, 1944

Greg

2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader
Thanks and appreciation for everyone who has ever served to protect our freedom, and made it possible.

images-6.jpeg
images-5.jpeg
images.jpeg
AP-D-Day-Facts-1-tle-1093x840.jpg
Operation-Overlord-preparation-d-day.jpg

^ (snipped from the above link)

"Estimated Battle Casualties, Normandy Invasion, World War II

A comparison of the estimated battle casualties of the Normandy Invasion, broken down by country.
The estimated battle casualties for Germany included 30,000 killed, 80,000 wounded, and 210,000 missing. More than 70 percent of missing were eventually reported as captured.
German casualties were extrapolated from a report of German OB West, September 28, 1944, and from a report of German army surgeon for the period June 6–August 31, 1944.
The estimated battle casualties for the United States included 29,000 killed and 106,000 wounded and missing.
The estimated battle casualties for the United Kingdom included 11,000 killed and 54,000 wounded or missing.
The estimated battle casualties for Canada included 5,000 killed and 13,000 wounded or missing.
Canadian casualties were taken from C.P. Stacey, The Victory Campaign: The Operations in North-West Europe, 1944–1945 (1960), page 271. Figures are for June 6–August 23. Under Canadian command were the Poles, who suffered some 1,350 casualties from August 1 to August 23.
The estimated battle casualties for France included 12,200 civilians killed or missing.
French casualties were provided by the Mémorial de Caen, France. Figures are for the départements of Calvados, Manche, and Orne from June 6 to August 31.
Total estimated battle casualties for each country, Normandy Invasion, World War II.
Germany had 320,000 total battle casualties.
The United States had 135,000 total battle casualties.
The United Kingdom had 65,000 total battle casualties.
Canada had 18,000 total battle casualties.
France had 12,200 total battle casualties.
The combined battle casualties of Normandy Invasion were 550,200."

Casualties-Normandy-Invasion-1536x1031.jpg

Reactions: sdj
The World War II museum in New Orleans is worth seeing if you are in the area.

It is huge with several different buildings to cover various parts of the War. It has an incredible amount of displays and enough to see to take an entire day.

The World War II museum in New Orleans is worth seeing if you are in the area.

It is huge with several different buildings to cover various parts of the War. It has an incredible amount of displays and enough to see to take an entire day.

Truly, The Greatest Generation..

The explanation of "battle casualties" is very interesting as I always wondered how this could ever be tallied. But, I still can't fathom how they get the figures with the chaos of battle going on. Sure, the death and destruction has happened and we move on but it just boggles my mind.

The explanation of "battle casualties" is very interesting as I always wondered how this could ever be tallied. But, I still can't fathom how they get the figures with the chaos of battle going on. Sure, the death and destruction has happened and we move on but it just boggles my mind.

The number of MEN men went to battle were counted, then the MEN that returned were counted.

@Greg , thanks for posting this. I hope the young folks here read and fathom the bravery and hardships of our MEN of WWII.
Unfortunately most of the WW2 vets have passed. I used to buy July 4th fireworks for my son (it was a yearly tradition)at a stand operated by two of those veterans. I was always respectful of them and loyal to buy from them, I wanted them know I admired them.

I always thought to myself I would have been honored to have just bought lunch for those two gentlemen just as a matter of gratitude. They would have deserved at least that much and a lot more. Unfortunately I let the time slip and I never treated them to that lunch.

War is a tough thing something I have never seen and I was never in the military, so I can't even imagine much, about how it must have been. I have a nephew that did tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and I know he is still bothered by the things he saw. From what little I know or have been told by some family members is that it was horrific.

I would talk with him but I think he doesn't care to discuss it and dont want to add to the pain. I think he talked a lot to his dad when he came home and I think that was the most helpful thing. I think there are still some after effects and an occasional nightmare. But he has been strong and he is very successful doing meaningful post military work. I am proud of him.

My wife's uncle came ashore at Normandy well after the initial invasion.

When the Allies began their push into Germany he was killed in action in Luxembourg in early 1945 at the age of 25. :salute:

I used to work with a friend who lost an uncle around that time frame, and his father was a POW in Germany at the same time. My friend's middle name was Lewis, which was the first name of his uncle who was KIA.
He told me that his father was down to about 100 lbs when they were liberated, and he told an unusual story that I love.

He said his dad was outside on one of those days at the POW camp and obviously very frail when he noticed that one of the German guards had his eyes on him. The German came to him and he was one of the older soilders. He told him that he reminded him of his son and then he gave him a potato. I certainly do not want to justify and defend the Nazis in any shape or form, but I love the story still the same.

Back
Top Bottom