Danica vs. Anna?

A

ajk112802

Danica vs. Anna? Patrick might be a winner
While giving Kournikova her due, IRL driver says she competes against men
Reuters
Updated: 9:48 p.m. ET Sept 6, 2007
DETROIT - She has made Forbes list of the most powerful and best-paid athletes and ranks No. 69 on Maxim magazine’s Hot 100.

She is one of North America’s most recognizable athletes, a marketing executive’s dream and earns millions of dollars in endorsements yet Indy Racing League (IRL) driver Danica Patrick has never set foot in the winner’s circle.

As in the case of tennis diva Anna Kournikova, the hype surrounding Patrick has far eclipsed her sporting performance.

Patrick, dubbed the pin-up of the IRL, has yet to find enough speed to hit the finish line first, although a career-best second place at the Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix last Sunday offered signs that she will one day find victory lane.

Kournikova also teased her fans on the court and off, reaching the finals of four WTA tournaments before finally retiring without a singles title to her name.

Patrick admits the similarities between them are undeniable.

“I see the parallels,” Patrick said. “But you know what? It’s surface stuff.

“For one, I’m competing against guys so right off the bat it’s different.

“I’m not so worried about that first win, I want it to come, I want it to be over with but I’ve been racing up front every weekend and that’s a big relief for me because the wins will come.

“Hey and let’s not forget she (Kournikova) was pretty darn good too.”

Few dispute Patrick possesses the skill and the demeanor of a champion or that the 5-foot, 95-pound dynamo has marketing muscle.

On Forbes 2006 list, Patrick checked in at No. 95 with an annual income of $5 million while golf prodigy Michelle Wie — another sportswoman trying to make her way in a man’s world — was 70th.

A paparazzi magnet and regular on the television talk show circuit, the 25-year-old Patrick sells four times the merchandise of any other IRL driver, putting her in the same orbit as NASCAR endorsement titans Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart and Dale Earnhardt Jr.

She has been featured on the cover of numerous magazines, including Sports Illustrated, and appeared in music videos and a Super Bowl commercial for an Internet domain registrar.

Fans who do an Internet search for Patrick’s name have 1.19 million offerings to choose from, many containing pictures from her photo shoot for men’s magazine FHM.

“She is very recognizable, she transcended the sport,” said Terry Angstadt, IRL president of commercial division. “She’s very marketable.

“The question has been when she’s going to win? But anyone watching her can see she is competitive. She’s not only beautiful but very competitive on the track.”

Patrick is in her third season, driving for Andretti Green Racing, one of the IRL’s top teams, and the pressure to win mounts with each race.

She has watched her Andretti Green teammates take the checkered flag eight times this season, with Tony Kanaan grabbing five victories and Dario Franchitti three, including the Indy 500.

Even 18-year-old Marco Andretti, grandson of former Formula One champion Mario, has one victory, leaving Patrick as the only member of the Andretti Green stable without a win going into Sunday’s IRL season finale in Chicago.

While Patrick has yet to win a race, she has won grudging respect from her fellow racers for her driving and refusal to be intimidated.

Two years ago at the Indianapolis 500, Patrick became the first woman to lead a lap at the famed Brickyard, stealing the headlines from race winner Dan Wheldon. He later commissioned a T-shirt bearing the words: “Actually won the Indy 500” to protest at the attention paid to the fourth-place finisher.

Patrick makes no apologies for her popularity or her style.

“I’ve always been a confrontational person,” she said. “I’m not bragging or proud but I think it’s important that you stand up for what you believe and that’s just the personality I have.”

Copyright 2007 Reuters Limited.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20632125/

Danica is awesome and all this will be proven when she wins in Chicago this Sunday..:)

One thing she said was for reals, she competes against men, if the other cars out there all had women in them, she would dominate this series. The fact that her and Anna are both hot girls that every redblooded male executive of a major corporation in the world would like to be with is the number one driving force behind the financial success of both women. The fact that Danica has shown signs that she can run with the guys is an added bonus.

One thing she said was for reals, she competes against men, if the other cars out there all had women in them, she would dominate this series. The fact that her and Anna are both hot girls that every redblooded male executive of a major corporation in the world would like to be with is the number one driving force behind the financial success of both women. The fact that Danica has shown signs that she can run with the guys is an added bonus.

I don't know whether to be sad or disgusted that this mentality continues. Again I ask, what difference does a pair of tits make behind the wheel? She's a driver. A pretty good driver at that. With a team that continues to supply her with a competitive car race after race. Her win/lose ration is little different than that of dozens of other drivers who manage good, if unwinning, performances weekend after weekend. That's why the have points for placing other than first.

So far this year, she's had five races out of 16 where she didn't finish in the top 10. 9 other drivers competing with her can make similar claims. Only 2 have serious claims to better stats, having missed the top 10 only once so far. Sounds like she's competing at the same general level as the better drivers out there ... suspiciously like being a woman has no real effect on it.

It's called talent, for better or worse .... and it doesn't reside in the scrotum, or the bicep, but in the brain.

I don't know whether to be sad or disgusted that this mentality continues. Again I ask, what difference does a pair of tits make behind the wheel? She's a driver. A pretty good driver at that. With a team that continues to supply her with a competitive car race after race. Her win/lose ration is little different than that of dozens of other drivers who manage good, if unwinning, performances weekend after weekend. That's why the have points for placing other than first.

So far this year, she's had five races out of 16 where she didn't finish in the top 10. 9 other drivers competing with her can make similar claims. Only 2 have serious claims to better stats, having missed the top 10 only once so far. Sounds like she's competing at the same general level as the better drivers out there ... suspiciously like being a woman has no real effect on it.

It's called talent, for better or worse .... and it doesn't reside in the scrotum, or the bicep, but in the brain.

When you compare stats you should compare only the big 3 of Penske, Ganassi, & AGR teams stats not the stats of drivers who as they have said time & again are in less competitive equipment. Castroneves & Hornish Jr have been terrible this season but they've still won races. She's the only driver from the 3 big teams without a win. Even wreck-proned Marco managed to keep it in a straight line long enough to pull one out. Talk to me when she's in victorylane, then i'll listen...

Back
Top Bottom