Dare to Dream - Kenny Irwin Legacy

H

HardScrabble

From the Indianapolis Star:

Irwin's legacy lives on for kids to enjoy

By Kate Stone
The Indianapolis Star
July 31, 2002

In the office of the Kenny Irwin Jr. Memorial Campground, amid the glass cases of trophies and posters of his No. 42 Winston Cup car, hangs a picture capturing the essence of Irwin's legacy.
The photo immortalizes the 1997 Brickyard 400. Irwin had just been named to Robert Yates' racing team. Wearing his jacket and grinning, Irwin stands with Yates behind him. Yates' hand rests on Irwin's shoulder.

"That's the dare to dream. That right there happens to one in a million drivers," said Kenny's father, Kenny Irwin Sr., who with his wife, Reva, created a 40-acre camp in New Castle, Ind., to benefit underprivileged children.

Kenny Irwin Jr., who died in a wreck in 2000, used the phrase "Dare to Dream" as his lifelong drive for success. His words are now the campground's motto.
"Our goal is to put a smile on a kid's face," Kenny Irwin Sr. said.
The Irwins have put in 7,000 feet of new water line, underground electricity, a recreation hall, a kitchen and reception area, four cabins, a basketball court, two playgrounds, 10 restrooms and showers and about 100 campsites.

Revenue from visitors will go toward bringing children in for visits. Possible groups include orphanages, correctional facilities and women's shelters, beginning in spring 2003.
"We're open to any suggestions for how to help these kids," Reva said.
Kenny's commitment to children was the inspiration for the camp and the Kenny Irwin Jr. Memorial Foundation, which has raised $190,000 since it started in November 2001.

After his death, the Irwins received letters and phone calls from people across the country who had been touched by their son.
"We learned a lot about Kenny we didn't know," Kenny Sr. said.
A regular visitor to hospitals, Irwin paid medical bills for families as well as donating money to several organizations. He inspired hope, daring kids to dream without recognition for himself, only a sense of purpose.

"He knew it was a privilege to be in this sport and he felt an urgency to give back," Kenny Sr. said.
With the campground, the Irwins are picking up where their son left off. Kenny Sr. said it has changed his life.
"I would not be doing this today if it were not for what Kenny had done," Kenny Sr. said.

While Kenny Sr. has run the building process of the camp, Reva, who runs the foundation with her three daughters, is planning the charity aspect.
"It's helped us to have a purpose for all this, but it's very hard," Reva said.

Kenny Dale Irwin Jr. died July 7, 2000, in a head-on crash during a practice at the New Hampshire International Speedway.
At 30, he was the second-youngest of four children. He was born on Aug. 5, now known as Brickyard season.
"No one can tell you the pain you go through. There are times when you are so busy with life, you don't notice, but then there's other times when the littlest . . . there's other times when the least little thing will bring everything back," Kenny Sr. said.

A rising Winston Cup star, Irwin had been named to the Bell South team just eight months before the accident. He had earned his third top-10 finish in a NASCAR Busch Series race in March 2000 at Atlanta.
He was on the road every week, in a plane almost every day. Irwin's oldest sister, Kim Graziano, said the huge amount of traveling makes his death difficult to grasp.
"I just keep thinking, 'Oh, I'll see him in a couple of weeks,' but then it just doesn't happen," Graziano said.

Irwin started racing when he was 5, a hobby encouraged by his father. In 1996, he won the U.S. Auto midget title, placing second in the Silver Crown point standings for the year.
After midgets, Irwin went on to race in the Craftsman Truck Series, where he was named Rookie of the Year in 1997.
In 1998, as the fourth-place qualifier, he became the highest-starting rookie in the history of the Brickyard 400 (other than the inaugural race in 1994), quickly garnering a solid reputation.

"I never heard a bad thing about him," said NHIS owner Bob Bahre. "He was a respected kid."
Bahre has kept in contact with the Irwin family since the accident, listening and contributing to the foundation.

Although the Irwin family used to be at the track constantly, racing is a difficult subject now.
"It's hard for me to watch a race because I'm always looking for the 42 car," Kenny Sr. said.
Despite the pain, Kenny Sr., who also used to race shifter cars, tries to keep his racing spirit alive in honor of his son.
"I love racing. I've always loved racing. Kenny loved racing," Kenny Sr. said. "If it was turned around and I got hurt and Kenny was here, I sure wouldn't want him to give the sport up."

Irwin's 42 car, 28 car, racing truck and hot rod will make rotating appearances at the campgrounds. Pictures of Irwin will backdrop the area and commentary will accompany the display under glass.
"Before you leave, you will know why we made this investment," Kenny Sr. said as his message to future campers.
The campground will also have a pool with a wading area for younger children and a lake stocked with fish. A gazebo for bands and entertainment will sit beside the lake.
Turning their tragedy around by creating the camp has been a daunting task for the Irwin family, but they believe this is something they must do. For Kenny's legacy.
"We've dared ourselves," Kenny Sr. said.

I wish the family success in their dream. Kenny was a hell of a competitor. Had the privilege of watching him race a sprint car at IRP the year I went to Indy.

RIP, Kenny. :(

That's a good story HardScrabble. Thanks for posting that.:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom