Dave Despain's Take on Passing in F1

N

NateDogg

"My Take" On The Lack Of Passing In F-1
Written by: Dave Despain
Charlotte, NC – 7/7/2003

As so often happens, opinions here spring from a viewer question. The question was, "Excluding starts, pit stops and mechanical failures, when was there last a pass for the lead in Formula One?" Speed Channel's F-1 brain trust agreed we should also rule out team orders, and then confirmed that there are indeed precious few passes for the lead in F-1.

Max Mosley would argue that Formula One is about strategy, like watching chess, which, of course, is killer TV entertainment. Eddie Irvine says lots of passing is like making love to 500 women a week. It quickly ceases to be special. Eddie may know - some say money is the best aphrodisiac - but isn't there a happy medium somewhere between zero and 500 passes for the lead?

Despite its comparative lack of passing, Formula One is the most popular form of motorsport - and motorsport television - in the world. If it ain't broke, why fix it? Because the only thing more exciting that Formula One cars...is Formula One cars side-by-side.

Granted, it wasn't for the lead, but Juan Montoya's ballsy move on Michael Schumacher at the Nurburgring was a memorable moment, and I was intrigued by the internet chat room response, which was clearly based on driver preference. One Speed Channel viewer thread, filled with anti-Montoya invective, characterized the pass as "illegal," though in truth it is not yet illegal to pass Michael Schumacher in Formula One.

Then there was a separate flap about Michael being illegally pushed out of the gravel, even though the rule says that's legal if the car is still running, which it obviously was. Conspiracy theorists were especially concerned about the guy in the shorts...did he run onto the scene from the grassy knoll adjacent to the track? Actually, I think he probably was the tow truck driver.

So, with all that excitement over a pass for 2nd, imagine what would happen if there really WERE passes for the lead? Not 500, to use Eddie IRVINE number, but let's compromise. I read somewhere that the average sexual frequency among adult males in America is twice a week. That strikes me as a great target...two passes for the lead per race in Formula One. If the rulemakers can make that happen - and the much-discussed ban on traction control is a move in the right direction - I for one promise to maintain appropriately breathless appreciation for the technological sophistication of the cars and the strategic nuances in the game.

That's my take...I'd like to hear yours.

============================================

My opinion, thats a good take. Dave says it the way it is, whish is one of many reasons I like this guy. As much as I hate to admit it, he is right. We are loving these passes in mid pack but what if it was for the lead. Although I am mixed on the last sentance there.

My take...
F1 Last year: One McLaren victory. 16 Ferrari victories. Micheal often won by more than half a minute over second. Passing wasn't even that great behind the leader.

F1 This year: 3 Ferrari Vic's, 3 McLaren, 3 Williams, 1 Jordan. A very wild Melbourne Gp and Brazilian GP. Juan and Micheal are dicing as well as Kimi. Guys are banging wheels. Fernando Alonso in very unequal equipment with Mark Webber are always a threat in any given race with a bit of luck. Canada had the top four finish within 3 seconds from first to fourth. Nurburgring had montoya 'very fairly' take a spot from Shuie, and had a very mature Shumacher say that "it was my mistake, he gave me enough room." You have Ferrari unlease this radical new car as Williams gets a grip on theirs while McLaren is still using pretty much outdated equipment. How much better do want this to get?

In my mind, those who watch NASCAR, are not happy unless they see a F1 car slam into something because every NASCAR race has some idiot hit something. Personally I think anyone can run in circles bouncing off walls and cars to win. F1, IRL, and CART CANNOT operate that way. It is a game of inches in each of these and these are the damn best drivers in the world. Notice there havent been too many incidents in CART and F1 lately. I bet NASCAR has had more crashes in the last three races than F1 and CART have had so far this season.

Anyways to rap things up, F1 is great right now. Teams like Jaguar, Renualt, and Toyota should be in contention next year, and I really doubt Ferrari, McLaren, or Williams will be at the back next year. Thats half the grip able to win races. F1 has never been this good. Senna and Prost put on great shows in their days, and we will all see the equalvalent of that in races to come, both this year and next.

I think you elabrated on that pretty good. What dave didn't say was the future. That there is going to be passes like that. Too many teams are putting full efforts in for not that much room at the top. The gap is closing. Just the three years I have been watching, Minardi went from barley qualifing to only 3 sec off pace. Heck, I get just as pumped for qualifing as I do for the race. Thats I think where people loose the feeling of prestiege of the cars. People are too caught up in stock car standarization where they compain about the rules but complain when the race in won by a margin. Even though F1 contract runs up in 06, I just cannot see it not continuing, If everything advances as it should, by the time 06 arrives, well...we will see.

Back
Top Bottom