daytona carnage count?

The level of driver skill at super speedways has regressed significantly. The fact there's really no repercussions for poor decisions/wrecking only makes it worse.

These races have been all about the carnage for a long time. It's what most people wanna see whether they admit it or not, and regardless of all the loss, nascar is making money off it. I like the survival game a few times a year, but I don't like it being in the playoffs.

The level of driver skill at super speedways has regressed significantly. The fact there's really no repercussions for poor decisions/wrecking only makes it worse.
I would almost like to agree, as I am old school. I believe it has more to do with the money available to replace disposable assets. it isn't like the racers or teams are depending on prize money to make house payments and buy groceries next week.

I would agree there are a lot dumber moves be committed by driver these days to cause wrecks, but even back in the day when there was a pretty solid, experienced field, it was happening one way or another.

I'll be honest, I used to get excited for plate races due to the carnage. Here within the last few years however, I have started getting annoyed with it. It looks terrible for the sport when 10 cars remain at the end of a race out of a 40 car field. I know the shootout was only half that field, but that was a joke of a race. It seems as if there are more young guys than ever, but these guys are still professionals and they should be able to race without destroying 75% of the field. I know the cars can be hard to drive and I'm not saying I could do it, but that's why I'm not out there.

I didn't realize the field was so spread back then. Kind of have a different perspective looking back lol
In the 2000s they were clumped up but there was still separation. Wasnt until the gen 6 when they just got nose to tail lap after lap.

At 200 mph the only condition a car in heavy traffic doesn’t exhibit is stability.

To try to answer ... dramatically reduce the track’s banking angles. That’s all I’ve got.
I hope not.
I love our 4 RP races. Or whatever they are called now.

That would be better than what we've got.

That's your opinion. Over 10 million tuned in and watched the first 20 laps. I'd suggest those who watch and complain are getting a misshapen pleasure of doing so, the rest of us want to see them race like hell. How many are you pulling in at the short track where you hang out?

iu

If we have to have four 200mph demolition derbies a year to survive, then maybe this sport is beyond saving. :idunno:

jealousy is such an unkind mistress. Tell that to the over 11 million that tuned in, I'm sure they will be impressed. Like I said they do get a misshapen pleasure out of it show up every year with the same song over and over, But they watch.:p Is your bunch getting any TV time?

I don't understand the hatred for superspeedway racing. Wrecks are going to happen but this race was largely clean right up until the end. Guaranteed Nascar could put a stop to pack racing and the same people would complain to the ends of the earth. What exactly is it that you haters are looking for on the superspeedways?

jealousy is such an unkind mistress. Tell that to the over 11 million that tuned in, I'm sure they will be impressed. Like I said they do get a misshapen pleasure out of it show up every year with the same song over and over, But they watch.:p

And ratings would go up if people started dying in these races again. So let's just remove safety features and give the blood-thirsty casual viewer what they want.

:sarcasm:

And ratings would go up if people started dying in these races again. So let's just remove safety features and give the blood-thirsty casual viewer what they want.

:sarcasm:
oh man now the hapless victim role, It's called 200 MPH on one of the biggest ovals in the world, not 60 mph on a bull ring

There has always been the chance for the big one or a nasty wreck at Daytona or Talladega. What has bothered me in recent years is the indifference to wrecking and the acceptance of it. The reality is most of these recent wrecks are caused by idiotic decisions. They could have raced like this 20-30 years ago but they opted not to for fear and respect. When people got out of line speeches were made or punches were thrown. I'm hoping tonight was a wake up call for better decision making which will lead to better racing.

What makes Sr's win at Talladega in 2000 and other rp wins back then is guys did it clean. None of those outcomes would have been the same if you could blatantly just wreck people with foolish blocking/drafting tactics.

There has always been the chance for the big one or a nasty wreck at Daytona or Talladega. What has bothered me in recent years is the indifference to wrecking and the acceptance for it. The reality is most of these recent wrecks are caused by idiotic decisions. They could have raced like this 20-30 years ago but they opted not to for fear and respect. When people got out of line speeches were made or punches were thrown. I'm hoping tonight was a wake up call for better decision making which will lead to better racing.

What makes Sr's win at Talladega in 2000 in other rp wins back then is guys did it clean. None of those outcomes would have been the same if you could blatantly just wreck people but foolish blocking and drafting tactics.
I don't remember but one fist fight on a SS track, maybe you will enlighten me. And the other, cars and tracks are safer, cars handle much better, did ya know they race on radial tires now?

I don't remember but one fist fight on a SS track, maybe you will enlighten me. And the other, cars and tracks are safer, cars handle much better, did ya know they race on radial tires now?

The most famous fist fight in NASCAR history occurred during the Daytona 500. I don't think too many NASCAR fans need enlightment on that one. It's only been shown a million times. There was definitely a dustup with Ernie's crew and another crew at Talladega in 1992 iirc? Kyle Petty got into it with someone during the '93 500 walking through the tri-oval following a wreck.

They've been racing on radials since 1989 iirc? Basically the entire existence of pack racing...

Last edited:
I don't believe they should stop racing at Daytona or Talladega; nor will they. I just want a little better skill/discretion shown. Sometimes you need to take your medicine if the only way to advance your position is by wrecking someone. I do believe in the saying "discretion is the better part of valor". Even Earnhardt knew there was a time to rattle cages and sit back and accept being the first loser. I use to like plate/pack racing when it was far less of a lottery. If they clean it up a bit I'll attend the 500 or go to Talladega. I have the desire, I just need the product to give me justification.....

I totally get the danger of open wheel racing at Michigan and Pocono but I still think they should race at both places. It's always been on the drivers to police themselves. There's plenty of room at both places for 20-25 open wheel cars to race safely. It's the rolling restarts that have long been an issue in American open wheel racing.

I don't believe they should stop racing at Daytona or Talladega; nor will they. I just want a little better skill/discretion shown. Sometimes you need to take your medicine if the only way to advance your position is by wrecking someone. I do believe in the saying "discretion is the better part of valor". Even Earnhardt knew there was a time to rattle cages and sit back and accept being the first loser. I use to like plate/pack racing when it was far less of a lottery. If they clean it up a bit I'll attend the 500 or go to Talladega. I have the desire, I just need the product to give me justification.....

I totally get the danger of open wheel racing at Michigan and Pocono but I still think they should race at both places. It's always been on the drivers to police themselves. There's plenty of room at both places for 20-25 open wheel cars to race safely. It's the rolling restarts that have long been an issue in American open wheel racing.

Do you really think people would tune in to see a single file parade with a car length between them OR did they tune in to see two and three wide racing with pushing and shoving, shooting the gap and driving on the ragged edge with it all hanging out at 200 MPH plus? Man I don't know what to tell ya. It's a fairy tale that ain't going to happen and hardly anybody I know wants to see that, they start screaming choo choo after a lap or two of that.

Back
Top Bottom