Daytona Closed for a bit

P

pettyfan4life

* Daytona Fuel Spill and a patch?: the spill news is tad old but: Daytona International Speedway had to close its 2.5-mile tri-oval course Friday and Saturday morning because of a diesel fuel spill in Turn 2. ""There was a leak in one of the jet dryers,'' Speedway spokesman Glyn Johnston said. ""It leaked fuel on the track, not a lot, and then tires ran through it and spread it on down the way.'' The dryers, which sound like a jet engine, are used to blow water and debris off the track surface. They are pulled behind a safety truck. ""The leak was completely contained,'' Johnston said. ""They had to wash down the track and do one thing after another to clean it. Today (Saturday) our operations team did several checks on the track and swept it, blew it dry again and ran a car over it to make sure the area was OK from a safety standpoint.'' The Speedway is hosting an ARCA test session this weekend [Dec 22]. ARCA competitors sat around Friday and Saturday morning until the track was declared raceable on Saturday afternoon. ""We look at it like a weather situation,'' Ron Drager, ARCA president, said. ""Everybody that wanted to be here and get laps is going to get every thing they came to get.''(Daytona Beach News Journal)
sources tell me that the speedway may need to patch the area as the fuel ate some of the asphalt away.(1-3-2003)

The ARCA guys and Gals did run on the track after that and they said that the crew did a good job cleaning up the mess. If they do patch it they better have gotten it done already.
I know that ISC is going to be repaving Daytona in a couple years so maybe this will speed up the process and it get repaved befor the 2004 Daytona 500

But last time i remember a big speedway like that getting repaved ( 1994 charlott) i think they had a very bad race after that, I seem to remember seeing Bobby LaBonte backing in to teh wall in the 22 Maxwell House car and bursting in to flames, but lets hope this wont be a case

Atcually they closed it so they could raise the prices in all the consesion stands.

Back
Top Bottom