Daytona Day Is Trash

The stereotype rings true but you gotta agree with a lot of this ridiculousness.

It's an advertising campaign to reach out to casual audiences, not to NASCAR fans who already know when the Daytona 500 is.

I guess we could go back to the days of ESPN and TNT not promoting the races at all. I mean, that'd be better than "this ridiculousness". :idunno:

It's an advertising campaign to reach out to casual audiences, not to NASCAR fans who already know when the Daytona 500 is.

I guess we could go back to the days of ESPN and TNT not promoting the races at all. I mean, that'd be better than "this ridiculousness". :idunno:

Literally everyone knows what the Daytona 500 is. Other than that, idgaf I thought it was funny.

Gotta love how the guy hammers the makers of the ad as knowing nothing about racing and then goes on to critique the ad several times for its product placement.

Has he never seen what the drivers wear on race day ?

Gotta love how the guy hammers the makers of the ad as knowing nothing about racing and then goes on to critique the ad several times for its product placement.

Has he never seen what the drivers wear on race day ?

The advertiser's know just as much about racing as this dude does advertising. Calling those Pizza Hut boxes is a stretch, looked like generic pizza boxes to me.

From my point of view, it doesn't promote the race as much as promoting everything else you can be doing while you have the race on in the background. That may be good for Fox' rating but it doesn't strike me as building the NASCAR fan base.

After 'Daytona Day' is over, will any of these casuals be back? We know there are plenty of people who watch only the Super Bowl for the hype and halftime, and who would never watch an NFL regular season or early-round playoff game.

The ad in this campaign I really hate features the Fox NFL pre-game crew hanging out in jackets that at first glance look like the real thing. Then they do the close ups and the jackets feature fake 'sponsors', logos, etc. C'mon, Fox, use real damn jackets without those sponsors having to pony up a check to you. It probably cost you more to have those fake jackets made than you're 'losing' in ad revenue with the real things. It certainly hurts your credibility.

Last edited:
I have never heard of Daytona Day. Is this some new attempt at branding?

Id venture to guess Ratings were probably higher those days than they are now

I Loathe the Daytona Day commercials myself, in my opinion a simple commercial highlighting the awesome history of the race would sell itself. But either way it's Daytona 500 morning, get amped.

Id venture to guess Ratings were probably higher those days than they are now

It is quite apparent that Nascar has not been able to attract new or casual fans to the series for many years and I seriously doubt a commercial touting the virtues of the Daytona 500 will move the needle at all.

From my point of view, it doesn't promote the race as much as promoting everything else you can be doing while you have the race on in the background. That may be good for Fox' rating but it doesn't strike me as building the NASCAR fan base.

After 'Daytona Day' is over, will any of these casuals be back? We know there are plenty of people who watch only the Super Bowl for the hype and halftime, and who would never watch an NFL regular season or early-round playoff game.

The ad in this campaign I really hate features the Fox NFL pre-game crew hanging out in jackets that at first glance look like the real thing. Then they do the close ups and the jackets feature fake 'sponsors', logos, etc. C'mon, Fox, use real damn jackets without those sponsors having to pony up a check to you. It probably cost you more to have those fake jackets made than you're 'losing' in ad revenue with the real things. It certainly hurts your credibility.
I ageee with you 100%. Fox is gearing Daytona Day commercials to causual fans to make it feel like the Super Bowl of racing (which most die hard fans already know it is) and most people who watch the Super Bowl arnt even football fans, they watch the game because pop culture tells them too. Most of those fans are gone after the halftime show and same with the fans who Fox would reel in with Daytona Day, they'd be gone midway through the Atlanta race at best.

It is quite apparent that Nascar has not been able to attract new or casual fans to the series for many years and I seriously doubt a commercial touting the virtues of the Daytona 500 will move the needle at all.
You're right on that. I would prefer a commercial on the history of the race, but I think there are bigger problems with attracting new fans than a commercial

This review is trash. OMG product placement in a NASCAR ad! Unreleastic shots of the garage! Trying to be inclusive of non-traditonal fan bases!

There is ALOT to complain about in NASCAR this year. These ads are far down the list.

Lots of advertising is silly. The decline of Commercials associated with Sports started to decline and loose credibility when the hotties started wearing more clothing.

We need more Carl's Jr commercials.

This video is satirical. Not meant to be taken seriously.

Guy probably loves his NASCAR probably as much as any of you. Anyone seen "Everything wrong with" series from Cinemasins?

Guy probably loves his NASCAR probably as much as any of you. Anyone seen "Everything wrong with" series from Cinemasins?
He does. He has a fairly entertaining "a bandwagoner's guide to" series.

Cinemasins knocks it out of the park every time. I laughed for days when they labled Maz Kanata from The Force Awakens as "Butthole Eyes".

EDIT: That was Screen Junkies, not CS.

He does. He has a fairly entertaining "a bandwagoner's guide to" series.

Cinemasins knocks it out of the park every time. I laughed for days when they labled Maz Kanata from The Force Awakens as "Butthole Eyes".

Love those guys. They have gone savage mode on several of my favorite movies and I still laugh my ass off.

I saw it the same way as the critique was pure satire and nothing for anyone to get hung about.

Instead of marketing the speed, the drama, the personalities, heck, even the wrecks; the stupid networks (and their respective ad agencies) choose to focus on what exactly? Parties?

The speed, personalities and wrecks aren't selling, hence the 45% drop in ratings over the last 12 years.

The Super Bowl was marketed with similar stuff, parties, halftime concerts, beer and chips and etc.

The speed, personalities and wrecks aren't selling, hence the 45% drop in ratings over the last 12 years.

The Super Bowl was marketed with similar stuff, parties, halftime concerts, beer and chips and etc.

That's it. I'm going to get in the car and drive by the frat houses at Rutgers University. I figure I'll waste the whole day looking for a Daytona Day party. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to find a single one. Let me then check the local firehouse...nothing to see there either.

That's it. I'm going to get in the car and drive by the frat houses at Rutgers University. I figure I'll waste the whole day looking for a Daytona Day party. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to find a single one. Let me then check the local firehouse...nothing to see there either.

You need to shoot down to Antarctica real quick. They are taking the day off from science and ice pyramids and whatnot to grill out and watch the race.

Back
Top Bottom