Dega has lost it's title...

B

bump drafting

Nothing against Jr winning, RAD has done an exceptional job on their cars. But, Restrictor plates were bad enough and took some of the racing outta the drivers hands. Then they messed with aero to make them all equal. Now they made it a fuel mileage track. This is the track that used to boast about being the fastest there is. Now it isn't even in the top 2, and it comes down to fuel mileage. The drivers used to have to let off and slide around the turns and the best drivers would rise to the top. Nascar has taken the race outta the drivers hands and it's a damn shame.

A certain amount of truth there bumpdrafting. Though I will dispute you if you are saying it takes no skill to drive and win at Talladega or Daytona.:)

NOt in the top two fastest tracks based on what speed? Qualifying? Practice? Racing?

The two fastest tracks would then be...?

It obviously takes skill to strap into these cars at any track, and I DO NOT like Jr but, he's pretty freakin good at Tona and Dega. He may still dominate without plates or spoilers but, it would definitely seperate the men from the boys. These guys are close to wrecking every lap but only because of the closeness. Used to be they were close to wrecking every lap because they were pushing the cars to the limit.

Hardscrabble, I guess ya got me there. I was probably thinking about texas and some other track where the qualifying was faster. I guess I meant that I think they should be allowed to run as fast as they can at Dega and Tona. Every other track they race at, they push the cars to the limit, I'd just like to see some speed at the 2 biggest tracks.

I can go along with that analogy bump.........but NASCAR is not going to let go of the restrictor plates anytime soon so we have to live it for now!! I say sh** can the restrictor plates and let them go. Nothing has to be done to the tracks about the banking. Those guys will lift to get through the corners.....not one of them has a death wish that I'm aware of. Restrictor plates were put on to keep the cars from becoming airborne in the 80's......the aerodynamics have progressed to a point that that won't happen now. Let them have all their horsepower back and get to racing again.

Using this year as a mark more or less.

Fastest Qualifying tracks:

Texas - around 194
Atlanta - around 191-192
Michigan - 188 - 189
Talledega - 186
Daytona - 186

In race trim the story changes a bit. Using HH speeds for example:

Talledega - 193 - 194
Daytona - 188 - 189
Texas - 185 ( not this year as HH was rained out, last year)
Atlanta - 184 - 185
Michigan - 182 - 183

On race day the story likely changes again but it seems that some laps yesterday were around the 190 mark at Dega. i don't have stats anywhere on fastest raceday laps unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom