DEI Ownership Deal

tkj24

Team Owner
CUP: Report of DEI Ownership Deal Surprises Junior
Written by: FOXSports .com
Avondale, Ariz. – 4/20/2007
Earnhardt: still waiting on a deal. (LAT photo)

Dale Earnhardt Jr. expects to have a decision soon about his future with Dale Earnhardt Inc., but if there's an offer on the table from DEI for 51 percent of the company, no one has told him.

"If that was the case, I'd know about it," Earnhardt said. "Things are where they were yesterday, the day before, the last couple of weeks. We're just moving along with the negotiations."

Earnhardt is currently in the last year of his contract with DEI, the company founded by his father.

Let's say 51 percent is on the table, even if Earnhardt and his sister Kelley Earnhardt Elledge were offered controlling interest. What would that entail? Would the Earnhardt siblings be able to make the day-to-day calls to effect a change?

"I don't want to get hypothetical," Earnhardt said. "That's a long ways down the road. We still have a lot we need to work out. We were honest where we were from the beginning and I feel like it's hard to keep anything these days."

Although speculation on the contract has heated up as the deadline approaches, assumptions rolled into overdrive last weekend at Texas Motor Speedway, as the hot rumor had Earnhardt driving a Hendrick Motorsports car in the future. When Earnhardt jumped into the No. 5 after Kyle Busch had already left the track, it just fueled the fire.

Back
Top Bottom