Derrick Walker - IndyCar President?

KevinWI

Oldest Operating Motor Speedway In The World
Former CART team owner Derrick Walker could be the next President of IndyCar.

From the USA Today article about KuBu's test at Indy:
Walker set to take IndyCar job?
Derrick Walker continues to be the leading candidate to become IndyCar's president of racing operations, although Hulman & Co. CEO Mark Miles said Thursday that a deal has not been finalized.

"But there continues to be very positive dialogue with him," Miles said through a spokesman.

Walker oversees Ed Carpenter Racing, and his experience in the sport is vast. In CART, he led Team Penske and the Porsche program. Teams Walker has owned have had Gil de Ferran, Robby Gordon, Will Power and Simon Pagenaud, among others, as drivers.

Walker has said he is committed to Ed Carpenter's team at least through the 500.

Robin Miller says it's a done deal. I hope he is given the power to make important decisions, although it shouldn't be overlooked that he's been a team owner for a long time, and their interests will probably take precedence. Fingers crossed!

"SPEED can report that Walker has agreed to become the president of racing operations for IndyCar and a formal announcement is expected next week. Carpenter informed his squad of Walker's impending move on Wednesday."

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-walker-hired-as-competition-boss/

I'm thinking it might be a good move for Indycar.

In the 90's Walker Racing brought a hauler to where I worked to get a shock testing machine installed. They opened up the body and so you could see the construction and they answered questions about the car. A cool race car memory for me.

I hope he is given the power to make important decisions, although it shouldn't be overlooked that he's been a team owner for a long time, and their interests will probably take precedence.

I'm just glad it's not Tony George or any of his cronies.

Back
Top Bottom