Did anyone notice during qualifying...

A

abooja

... how much damage control the Fox leftovers, Mike Joy, Larry McReynolds, and Jeff Hammond were attempting because of their well criticized coverage of the Pepsi 400?

They explained how, for one, they weren't aware of the additional two lap penalty levied against Kurt Busch, which is why they didn't talk about it. When one of the NBC pit weenies asked him about it, Kurt claimed that the track noise drowned out the question and proceeded to answer his own question about how good he thought his Rubbermaid Ford was that day. Pretty slick. ;)

They also said how there's been a lot of talk on "the Internet" (wink wink) about how they shouldn't have shown Joe Nemechek's mother crying after he wrecked, so they wanted to give their point of view. They claim that someone in the control room had already seen a shot of Joe exiting his car, therefore they knew he was alright by the time they showed his mother. In other words, it's okay to broadcast a live shot of a woman crying because she thinks her son may be hurt or dead, even if the son winds up being alright? Come on guys. Exploitation is exploitation. What's the difference?

One last thing. What's the deal with the Fox guys still being involved in the coverage? I think they're doing qualifying on Speed Channel for the next several races, then I don't know what's going to happen. I suppose TNT will get it back. Is this "crossover" period meant to help ease the new team into position? I just don't get it. :confused:

It was in extremely poor taste of Fox to air that shot of Joe's mother after that wreck. They would be better off just saying "sorry, we screwed up" than trying to pass off some sorry explanation that no one believes as to why they allowed that shot to air.

As for the Fox guys doing the broadcast today, the Speed Channel is owned by Fox. I figure whenever they air qualifying or Happy Hour, we'll be seeing the Fox guys in the booth.

I don't get it either...

But I wonder which boards people peruse through and get their info. I can think of one or two that are decent enough. :)

Fox owns Speed is my guess. They will still use the Fox crew.

How many other boards are there, anyway? I tend not to stray too much... ;)

Oh, and why, if Fox owns Speed Channel, are the pit guys from NBC? And why didn't Fox leave altogether after last Saturday?

See what I mean by a crossover period?

the easy questions first. Qualifying and Happy Hour (at the track not our member) coverage.

NASCAR Winston Cup Series qualifying (two hours except where noted)

· Chicago (July 12, 4 p.m.) - SPEED

· New Hampshire (July 19, 3 p.m.) - TNT

· Pocono (July 26, 3 p.m.) - TNT

· Indianapolis (Aug. 3, 11 a.m.) - TNT

· Watkins Glen (Aug. 9, 3 p.m.) - SPEED

· Michigan (Aug. 16, 3 p.m.) - SPEED

· Bristol (Aug. 23, 3 p.m.) - TNT

NASCAR Winston Cup Series Happy Hour

· Chicago (July 13, 12 p.m.) - SPEED

· New Hampshire (July 20, 11 a.m.) - SPEED

· Pocono (July 27, 11 a.m.) - SPEED

· Indianapolis (Aug. 3, 6 p.m., same-day delay) - SPEED

· Watkins Glen (Aug. 10, 11 a.m.) - SPEED

· Michigan (Aug. 17, 3 p.m.) - TNT

· Bristol (Aug. 23, 6 p.m.) - SPEED

I guess I'm just trying to figure out why they're doing it this way. I mean, are they trying to go out of their way to confuse people and lose viewers? Seems awfully silly. :dunce:

the easy questions first. Qualifying and Happy Hour (at the track not our member) coverage.

Well, actually, it would be fun to have the "boys" cover a day in the oh so exciting life of HappyHour... :p

But back to the real subject, I actually love the speed channel and regardless if it's owned by Fox, I think they do a good job overall. A lot of their stuff is "crossover", you have Mike Joy hosting "WC Past Champions" and Alan Bestwick anchoring "Inside Winston Cup". I think it's a pretty good effort to do effective coverage.

It is confusing. :) abooja, this will just give Benny something new to explain to us this year besides "loose" and "tight" :rolleyes:

Originally posted by abooja
How many other boards are there, anyway? I tend not to stray too much... ;)

How many good ones?? Or just how many boards?

Not a whole slew of good ones IMHO. But there are a least two or three.

Racing boards in general, I can think of least a dozen that I have visited.

Don't get me wrong. I do like Speed Channel. (Preferred it when it was called Speedvision, though.) The Fox crew even seems more polished on it. I think they must run a tight ship over there, as racing is pretty much all they do. Their editing is great. Their rebroadcasts are more coherent as a result. I love 'em.

Just wondering why NASCAR isn't more consistent about who gets what and for how long. Why didn't they have Fox do half a year, NBC half a year, and make Speed Channel leave when Fox left?

Better yet, stick it all on one network that will get the job done right every time, with as few frills as possible. Speed Channel could be that network, if only they were big enough to handle the NASCAR gorilla. :bored:

I guess I meant "good" boards, HS. I know of three, including this, but only ever went to two. Just trying to figure out how scattered everyone might have gotten.

Not that I'm looking to go anywhere. :D

Just wondering why NASCAR isn't more consistent about who gets what and for how long. Why didn't they have Fox do half a year, NBC half a year, and make Speed Channel leave when Fox left?  

Better yet, stick it all on one network that will get the job done right every time, with as few frills as possible. Speed Channel could be that network, if only they were big enough to handle the NASCAR gorilla. :bored:

Don't forget NY, it's Na$ca$h now and they do NOT really care about us, the fans, just what the advertising and networks pay up.

Why are they doing it this way??

NBC no longer has an outlet on which it could broadcast the qualifying live. Rather than have no qualifying coverage on the races which NBC has, a deal was struck between Speed and NBC. Fox wanted their anchors for the deal since they would be on site doing the Speed Trackside program anyway, but did not want the expense of providing the pit coverage as well. NBC would probably have preferred to have their anchors, but a compromise had to be reached.

In order to get Happy Hour coverage the same type of arrangement was reached.

Without these deals, we would have much less coverage for the second half of the season.

I did see when fox went to joes mom, they are trying to put tooooooooo much soap opera stuff into nascar with their broadcasts now:(

NOt fair Kat

NASCAR did what any reasonable business would do. The contract with ESPN, TNN and ABC was up. The new contract went out for bids and Fox, NBC and TNT won it. There is no less coverage now than there was then. Probably more.

If someone liked the old announcers better than the Fox or NBC or TNT crews that is a matter personal preference, not a fact of coverage.

Some may not receive Fx, but many of us did not get ESPN2 nor TNN when they had the races either!!

The current networks actually went out of their way to ensure that coverage of qualifying and happy hour will conitinue.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out why they're doing it this way. I mean, are they trying to go out of their way to confuse people and lose viewers? Seems awfully silly. :dunce:
there doing it like that because they can't always get air time on TNT, such as baseball games etc. so they worked out to put it on speed whenever they can't get TNT air time, and its not very confusing, theres 2 channels that it might be on...very limited process of elimination..:)

I noticed them trying to cover their tails too. Also noticed their dropping of the internet message forums as rumor mills. Maybe if their Emmy-Award winning journalists could report the news instead of a bunch of stupid chit like BOOGITY BOOGITY all the time, we fans wouldn't have to speculate so much and figure it out before they get around to telling us a week later. I tyrned qualifying on, saw Larry Mac and Hammond, and cringed, just waiting for Jaws so I could turn it back off as soon as he opened his prodigious piehole.

One other thing I noticed too. Did anyone else just LOVE Kurt Busch's "interview", and especially the lip reading required after the mic was off? In case ya missed it, all they wanted to ask about was the penalties from Daytona. He gave them the blamkest stare, claimed he couldn't hear because of the car on the track, (yeah right) and gave the pat line about the car this and the chassis that. Then he walked away as the reporter "wrapped up". But once the mic was off, the camera was still on him as the apes in the booth resumed their drivel. Kurt clearly told the reporter that (and I am paraphrasing here) He wasn't going to talk about Daytona, and if he tried it again he'd be sorry. WAY TO GO KURT!!!!!! I like this kid more every week. He has balls the size of church bells sometimes.

Last year for the last half of the season, CNNSI covered qualifying and if I remember correctly it was said that they had folded. Said that Speed would be picking up qualifying so it would be covered.

Can't remember where I read that but probably on this message board sometime earlier this season. Might even have heard it on Speed while watching one of the racing programs.

I had forgotten all about CNNSI, adjfan. If I recall correctly, the NBC guys did those broadcasts too. TNT did some coverage, while NBC covered the big shows. I get all those channels, including (now) FX and Speed Channel, so I'm not concerned about missing anything. I'm able to keep up with what's on where and when, but I figure some other folks might not be. :rolleyes:

Then again, I wasn't watching NASCAR anything back in the old days, so I guess I should be appreciative that I'm able to see stuff like qualifying and Happy Hour at all. Speaking of which, that's on in 20 minutes. On Speed Channel, I think. Nothing's been on TNT yet, as far as I know...

Wardfan: Did Kurt Busch really say that after the interview had ended?! Boy, he's got some cajones, huh? I'm glad you translated that, because I was about to drag my 96 year-old lip-reading grandmother over here to do the same. Good job. :)

CNN/SI went off the air some time ago. NBC didn't have anything to cover q'ing and happy hour, so Speed picked it up. Thank goodness!

I almost fell out of my chair watching Kurt's interview. Best snow job I've seen in a while. LOL

On the Busch thing I have a feeling there may have been some type of agreement between Kurt and the media to lay off the subject for now. I have seen others who share the same thought.

Kurt played it pretty cool while he knew he was on air, and had every right to let the interviewer know that the penalty deal was a closed subject after he figured the cameras were off.

Don't know if any of ya'll have ever had occcasion to be "ambushed" by the media. Was once involved in a somewhat unpleasant situation that garnered some local attention, those folks can be pretty abrasive when ya try to say I don't want to talk about it.

Back
Top Bottom