Did I Start Watching F1 at a Bad Time?

Tumbleweed

Team Owner
I’ve followed Indycar and Nascar races for many, many years but have only recently started watching F1 races. I’ve seen 3 consecutive races now, starting with the Chinese Grand Prix then the Spanish Grand Prix and most recently, the Monaco Grand Prix.

I have watched the full race on each occasion and over those 3 races, I have never seen a SINGLE LEAD CHANGE! The only thing I would call real racing during all of those races was Ricciardo’s challenging Hamilton for second place during the Monaco race yesterday and even that was never really all that close.

Is F1 always this way or did I just catch it at a bad time when Mercedes is running away with everything?

I’ve followed Indycar and Nascar races for many, many years but have only recently started watching F1 races. I’ve seen 3 consecutive races now, starting with the Chinese Grand Prix then the Spanish Grand Prix and most recently, the Monaco Grand Prix.

I have watched the full race on each occasion and over those 3 races, I have never seen a SINGLE LEAD CHANGE! The only thing I would call real racing during all of those races was Ricciardo’s challenging Hamilton for second place during the Monaco race yesterday and even that was never really all that close.

Is F1 always this way or did I just catch it at a bad time when Mercedes is running away with everything?

It doesn't have as much passing and never will. Monaco is kind of a paradox, while it is the most glamorous the cars are too technically advanced for the old circut, and there is just no room to pass. It is the most extreme example of the winner almost being virtually assured by who wins turn one of lap one.
But if you are more of a techo or mechanical nerd you might find their cars more interesting even with few passes. It is a matter of taste or a subjective thing.

The passes are often more strategic as well, verses on the actual track exchanges. If a faster car is running behind another car, passing can still be difficult and they may have to rely on better tire management. The tires are different grades, and teams are forced to run the different grades during the event. So race management is also a big part of the competition or position changes.

As for time I would think many would prefer the open wheel era of the 80s and prior.
1. Technology had not exceeded the circuts ability to handle the speeds. The restrictions were far less, and the creative ceilings were higher.
2. Nascar and Indy cars are closer to spec cars. While F1 cars are more regulated then ever they still are more techically advanced.

If you want more side by side and passing racing Nascar will probably be preferred.

If you are more of a purist with some patience, F1 may be more preferable.

Note. All of the above is just my opinion. Your milage will vary.

BTW, I like both and I hope they both will continue to be distinctively different.

Edited to add:

A dominant car is more likely to happen in F1.
Currently Mercedes, and prior to that Red Bull. So one could call it bad time.

There have been a lot of races that the lead never changes. I don't think it has happened since Australia this year. I still enjoy the races though. At first I was trying to pick and find things I didn't like about F1 but the more I watched, the more I enjoyed it. I still prefer Indy/NASCAR to F1 though.

Don't watch it and try to compare F1 to NASCAR or Indycar. You'll be very disappointed.

It depends. If you're looking for a Chase-like championship finish 2010 probably would have been your best bet; there were five drivers in contention for the championship with two races left and four still in contention going into the finale. 2012 was another competitive season with seven different winners in the first seven races and the drivers' championship decided in the finale again. If you're looking for a lot of overtaking then 2011-2013 was your time period.

As for pure overtakes, Monaco is a poor circuit. Its tight and narrow nature doesn't lend itself to that kind of action, but the attrition throughout the race and skill it takes to get around there quickly makes up for it. This season Bahrain has had the most passing thus far, so if you can find a torrent of that then it's well worth a watch.

It's a foregone conclusion that Mercedes will win the constructors' championship and one of Rosberg and Hamilton will win the drivers' championship, but I think the battle between Nico and Lewis as the season unfolds will be great to watch. A third of the way through the year they're pretty clearly in each other's head and I find it pretty interesting to watch. Thankfully Mercedes haven't designated a #1 and #2 driver and let them race each other; it's a lot better than the early-to-mid-2000's when Ferrari were dominating and having Schumacher win every race with Barrichello blocking others from getting close to Michael or just letting him by when needed.

It depends. If you're looking for a Chase-like championship finish 2010 probably would have been your best bet; there were five drivers in contention for the championship with two races left and four still in contention going into the finale. 2012 was another competitive season with seven different winners in the first seven races and the drivers' championship decided in the finale again. If you're looking for a lot of overtaking then 2011-2013 was your time period.

As for pure overtakes, Monaco is a poor circuit. Its tight and narrow nature doesn't lend itself to that kind of action, but the attrition throughout the race and skill it takes to get around there quickly makes up for it. This season Bahrain has had the most passing thus far, so if you can find a torrent of that then it's well worth a watch.

It's a foregone conclusion that Mercedes will win the constructors' championship and one of Rosberg and Hamilton will win the drivers' championship, but I think the battle between Nico and Lewis as the season unfolds will be great to watch. A third of the way through the year they're pretty clearly in each other's head and I find it pretty interesting to watch. Thankfully Mercedes haven't designated a #1 and #2 driver and let them race each other; it's a lot better than the early-to-mid-2000's when Ferrari were dominating and having Schumacher win every race with Barrichello blocking others from getting close to Michael or just letting him by when needed.

Agreed, I like both Hamilton and Rosberg, but the growing rivalry between them will be fun to watch the rest of the year. Reminds me a little of Prost/Senna and Hunt/Lauda

Basically, yeah, you kind of did.

The teams had to go through wholesale changes after last season from aero to the underpowered, yet well boosted engines. Most teams are thrown a real curveball and if you've really only seen those three races, you haven't seen a fraction of what F1 can be. That said, if you like parity, you haven't missed much the past few seasons. It was the Sebastian Vettel/redbull show for three years and now it's all Mercedes.

Just be patient. This is truly the highest level of Motorsport and demands respect and appreciation even with the bs shenanigans that come with it on occasion.

Agreed, I like both Hamilton and Rosberg, but the growing rivalry between them will be fun to watch the rest of the year. Reminds me a little of Prost/Senna and Hunt/Lauda

Yup. That's going to be the story line it looks like. I love it! What Kimi and Alonso could be if they weren't racing against the Caterham's.

Yes and no, the cars are much safer in this era but gone are the days of the awesome screaming v-12 v-10 and v-8 engines. I have been a fan for most of my life but they are quickly losing me, Indy car has become a replacement, I am about one rule change away from giving it up :(

I'm a casual F1 fan. They are the most technically advanced race cars in the world but they produce boring races. More often than not the pole wins the race. And there is often a major wreck on turn one because they use standing starts. Typically, one or two teams dominate during any given year. I think qualifying is the more fun to watch than the race.

Back in the 60s Jimmy Clark won a lot. Then Mario Andretti had so much success during his era. Today, we have Sebastian Vettel who seems unbeatable- until this year (so far). But I agree, it would be more exciting to have a lot of lead changes like in Indycar. I like to see the drivers/cars battling back and for more.

This is the worst F1 has ever been in my opinion. Follow IndyCar instead.

Sad, my favorite F1 season ever was 2011.

This is the worst F1 has ever been in my opinion. Follow IndyCar instead.

Sad, my favorite F1 season ever was 2011.
That's cool!! Indycar is my favorite, too. But I like F1 second best. I watch 'em both. Take care!!

Back
Top Bottom