Did Stewart Really Win?

R

rpmallen

Before the race, drivers were warned not to hold up the field on the restarts, and they were warned not to jump the starts. On the final restart, Tony Stewart did both. Several drivers complained.

Do you think Nascar is going to do anything about it, or are they going to just let this slide. They might be waiting until the morning to make an announcement, so that way they can get themselves far away enough from Stewart. I'd feel sorry for the person that would have to tell Stewart he didn't win. We'd find out how those anger-management courses are going.

But I think Nascar was pretty lax all day on the restarts, so i'm confident they wouldn't do anything. He was the car to beat, it's not like he didn't deserve the win.

If Nascar was going to do something they would have done it right during the race with a Black Flag. They know that most any driver in his position would do the same thing, and they are going to let it go. But maybe they might issue a famous warning saying anyone who does something like that again may be in risk of getting a black flag.

The lead car controls the start........he can slow as much as he likes and leave whenever he feels he can and still not jump the start. If I'm not mistaken (and I'm sure HS will tell me if I am) he only has to be at or below the pace lap speed at the start point and not pass the the pace car until after the pace car crosses the start/finish line. I think he did just that.........a near perfect restart!:)

I really liked how he was weaving his car back and forth and all of a sudden he nailed the gas and took off. Newman never had a chance. Very creative on TS's part. He deserved the win after that.

Stewart definitely duped the cars behind him. Robby Gordon tried laying back on the restarts all day, but really got fooled on that last one, as well as Newman. He did what he had to do, and Nascar was lax about restarts all day, so I doubt they'd do anything. Just throught I'd throw out some food for thought. :)

Originally posted by rpmallen
Stewart definitely duped the cars behind him. Robby Gordon tried laying back on the restarts all day, but really got fooled on that last one, as well as Newman. He did what he had to do, and Nascar was lax about restarts all day, so I doubt they'd do anything. Just throught I'd throw out some food for thought. :)

Robby's problem on restarts was that he had too high a gear. When Stewart took them down so slow, Robby just didn't have the gear to get his car going. Probably Kevin Hamlin's fault but his whining about Tony laying back on the restart was just that.......whining!! Besides, how can the man who controls the restart (the leader) lay back anyway? Guess if he stopped on the track and that could be laying back!!:) Tony did it right......he had the gear, the timing, and fainting with the last minute tire cleaning he did just before he nailed it.

I liked Stewart's move. I think that as long as the pace car is off the track, anything is fair game. He caught a lot of people not paying attention. I was looking at some of the cars in the background because he was still going back and forth then all of a sudden he takes off. Nobody stood a chance.

I like the way you think gordon24fan. Cause that's the bottom line. Not sure but I don't think a Cup win has ever been taken away after the fact.

Good call, bad call, no call. Doesn't matter. Once the checkers falls the race is over. That's racin.

That's what I heard,Was that he won.Did someone hear something differant? :D

I must say that I heard Tony won and I was glad. I did watch the tape this morning though and his restart was great, maybe a little jump start. LOL The thing I wanted to point out though is that watching a second time around, Robby wouldn't have stood a chance anyway. After Tony, Ryan had a major lead on Robby so it wouldn't make much difference to Robby & Kevin in any case. JMO

NASCAR didn't do anything to Jeff Gordon when he jumped the restart at Watkins in 1999- so why do it now to Tony and look like total biased idiots????:eek:

The only time I can remember someone getting penalized for a restart was when Rusty Wallace kept doing in one race a couple years ago. He kept doing it, they kept warning him, and finally he got penalized. Had to come in during the race and I think he lost two laps. Stewart did it the right way, though, at the right time, and they were being lax all day anyway so why not.

It was all timing on tony's part. The leader restarts the race period. as far as where the pace car was on pit road and speed it was apperent tony had it timed perfectly.
Quit the bit about rusty a few years back. watch the tape of it and you will see him restart clear back on the back stretch.

What bit, there's no bit racer8. I said that although Nascar had warned drivers like they always do not to jump it, Tony did, but he did what he needed to do and did it well. I was just trying to think if anyone had ever been penalized before, and the only one i can think of was Rusty Wallace when yea, he was not only clearly jumping the start, but he kept doing it and pissing off Nascar. I'm not trying to take anything away from Stewart's win.

rpm.....I know you are not trying to take anything away from Tony's win. And I'm pretty sure racer knows that too. But, without talking for racer, I keep hearing you say Tony "jumped the restart" and got away with it.........I simply don't see it that way. There is a marker (that famous cone at Watkins Glen) where the lead car must be going at or below pace lap speed on the restart..........he's free to go faster at that mark. The pace car continues down pit road at pace lap speed.......the leader cannot pass the pace car until the pace car passes the start/finish line. I say that Tony was at or below pace lap speed at the cone and he didn't pass the pace car. Tony slowed down to what looked like about 15 or 20 mph before starting, did a little tire cleaning and nailed it at the point that he thought he would not be over speed at the cone and his slowing on the lead up to the start allowed the pace car a good enough head start to be across the start/finish line before he got there. It was timing.......and looked to me to be damned near perfect. He didn't jump the restart......he caught every other driver out there flat footed. Best restart I've seen in a long, long time.......maybe ever!!

No fouls, no errors, 1 hit and that was a home run.
Tony WON, field 0.......end of story

On IWC last night they addressed that issue....and actually before it even came up Mikey was talking about the gear ratio Tony was using which enabled him to have great restarts.

Ray Evernham had said earlier in the week that gear ratio is key on a road course.

So couple the gear ratio with Tony's expert driving and it equals a win!

BTW Ken Kenny and Mikey watched the replay and said it was Tony doing what anyone in his position would do.

Maybe if someone else was leading, there wouldn't have been the red flag so late anyway? HMM, just food for thought from a biased mind :)

Newman got caught looking the other way, plain and simple. Tony cleaning his tires then suddenly rocketing off made it look more like a jump than it really was because nobody was expecting it. On previous restarts Tony started in approx. the same place but the rest of the field was able to predict it and thus keep pace with him.

Back
Top Bottom