Did they ever give a reason for moving the 500 again

joe h

Team Owner
First, I prefer the 500 on Presidents’ Day weekend. I still get the day off without using up any vacation. So I was sort of annoyed when they moved it. But out of all the years to make the change back, why this year, with the olympics starting on the 8th? If they would have waited a week later, there would have been nearly no competition, besides hockey and basketball. Just seems weird that after 5 years of scheduling post Presidents’ Day, and during a time when they’ve joined boxing as a ‘well, I guess nothing else is on’ sport, they decided to make this move. Almost like they want to fail, or at least point towards the Olympics as the main ‘excuse’ for the lower numbers. Instead of where the blame truly lies.

I recall it was originally moved to the week after Prez Day because the NFL was making noises about extending their season to 18 games. With those plans now apparently dead, NASCAR decided to switch back. As to the Olympics, I suspect NASCAR doesn't much care. Maybe their research shows little overlap between the race audience and the Olympics watchers; just a guess.

First, I prefer the 500 on Presidents’ Day weekend. I still get the day off without using up any vacation. So I was sort of annoyed when they moved it. But out of all the years to make the change back, why this year, with the olympics starting on the 8th? If they would have waited a week later, there would have been nearly no competition, besides hockey and basketball. Just seems weird that after 5 years of scheduling post Presidents’ Day, and during a time when they’ve joined boxing as a ‘well, I guess nothing else is on’ sport, they decided to make this move. Almost like they want to fail, or at least point towards the Olympics as the main ‘excuse’ for the lower numbers. Instead of where the blame truly lies.
The opening day for the Olympics is Feb 9 and the close is Feb 25 so your post makes no sense.

I recall it was originally moved to the week after Prez Day because the NFL was making noises about extending their season to 18 games. With those plans now apparently dead, NASCAR decided to switch back. As to the Olympics, I suspect NASCAR doesn't much care. Maybe their research shows little overlap between the race audience and the Olympics watchers; just a guess.

No overlap here.....Olympics were great when the athletes were amateurs. Now? Not even close. Pardon the off topic.

No overlap here.....Olympics were great when the athletes were amateurs. Now? Not even close. Pardon the off topic.
The Olympics seemed great when there were only three networks and nothing else to watch. At some point I realized I don't enjoy most of the events, especially the judged ones. I don't watch track and field or downhill skiing during the three years and fifty weeks between Olympics; moving them to an expensive venue and wrapping them in flags and ceremonies doesn't make them any more appealing to me.

4th - Super Bowl
11th - Olympics
18th - Olympics
25th - Olympics

They're going to have to compete with something regardless.

The Olympics seemed great when there were only three networks and nothing else to watch. At some point I realized I don't enjoy most of the events, especially the judged ones. I don't watch track and field or downhill skiing during the three years and fifty weeks between Olympics; moving them to an expensive venue and wrapping them in flags and ceremonies doesn't make them any more appealing to me.

Bingo.

Personally I like that the Rolex 24 and Daytona 500 are closer together. The only thing worth watching in the Olympics is bobsledding.

It’s the Daytona 500 for crying out loud!

The 500 or ice dancing?

That’s a no brainer. And if you need your Winter Olympics fix, that’s what your DVR, TiVo, or VCR are for.

The Olympics is a joke. It's really obvious some of the judges are bribed or show favoritism.

The Olympics is a joke. It's really obvious some of the judges are bribed or show favoritism.
A majority of the Olympic sports aren't judged by anything other than a clock or measured distance. No playing favorites in that.

Personally I'm a huge fan of the Olympic athlete. That is, the ones that perform as a result of their hard work and dedication to the sport they compete in. It is so much unlike the professional athletes that we see collecting a paycheck after their performances on Sunday afternoons. Their only drive seems to be $'s and nothing more. It's a shame that people can't appreciate what these games mean to these athletes that represent the country we live in. They work damn hard for the privilege to do so.

Last edited:
We won't all appreciate everything. There are a lot of people who work hard at various endeavors and go unappreciated by the masses. I enjoy the heck out of ballet, but I doubt the local companies will get a TV contract any time soon.

I wish the Daytona 500 was in primetime. Maybe next year.

Never gonna happen. Other fans are actually revolting against night races...or at least against having nearly a third of the schedule start at 7pm.

The 2012 500 benefitted from the sheer novelty of seeing it happen at all. When the 2014 500 got most of itself pushed to night, the ratings went way down.

A majority of the Olympic sports aren't judged by anything other than a clock or measured distance. No playing favorites in that.

Personally I'm a huge fan of the Olympic athlete. That is, the ones that perform as a result of their hard work and dedication to the sport they compete in. It is so much unlike the professional athletes that we see collecting a paycheck after their performances on Sunday afternoons. Their only drive seems to be $'s and nothing more. It's a shame that people can't appreciate what these games mean to these athletes that represent the country we live in. They work damn hard for the privilege to do so.
Yeh to a degree I agree with this, but when PEDs are predominant and Russia got the axe from this Olympics, I'll most likely be watching a lot less and watching more racing, especially now that i have all the channels that cover it.

You don't like "Daytona Day?"
Forgot all about that:laugh:
Gosh that was an annoying promo in my opinion, the concept was fine though

Hey! The heck with the Olympics! I just noticed the race is now the same weekend as the Great Backyard Bird Count! Now THAT'S a conflict!

Back
Top Bottom