Diesel filters

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
Not sure how many of you drive Diesel trucks but if you do, check out www.dieselfiltersonline.com sometime.

I recently called the dealer to purchase an air filter for my 2017 F-250. They wanted just under $100 for a new filter. I looked at advance Auto and found an if brand for $80+. Was ready to go in and purchase one when I heard about that website. On there, they had the original Ford air filter for $48. I ordered one last Friday. It was delivered today. $50 cheaper for the same damn thing. They've got a lot of other stuff in that sure too. Worth a look if you want to save $'s.

Not sure how many of you drive Diesel trucks but if you do, check out www.dieselfiltersonline.com sometime.

I recently called the dealer to purchase an air filter for my 2017 F-250. They wanted just under $100 for a new filter. I looked at advance Auto and found an if brand for $80+. Was ready to go in and purchase one when I heard about that website. On there, they had the original Ford air filter for $48. I ordered one last Friday. It was delivered today. $50 cheaper for the same damn thing. They've got a lot of other stuff in that sure too. Worth a look if you want to save $'s.

Just be certain of the quality, all filters are not created equal. Wix and Fleetguard are trusted names, as well as OEM stuff. If you aren't sure of the quality, spend some extra money on a sure thing.

The dealer is almost always the most expensive place to buy parts. The only thing good thing about it is you'll probably get an OEM quality part - but check it first because it's not always OEM quality.

Example: when the service interval manual indicated I should replace the PCV valve on my wife's Mercury, I tried an aftermarket replacement but it was visibly different - and the car didn't run as smoothly with it. So I went to Ford and bought their official replacement part - it looked just like the aftermarket part (and not the original part) and also didn't run right. So I carefully cleaned the original part and reinstalled it - runs like new again.

Another example: the end of my G6's shift cable broke. Dealer replaced the whole cable under warranty, but it broke again after only a few months. Turns out the problem is with a plastic insert at the end of the cable (where it connects over the tang on the transmission's shift lever) - those get brittle after aging. My dealer wouldn't warranty the replacement cable and wanted well over $100 for another replacement cable - which was from the same old box of parts that the previous cable came from, so probably had a brittle insert too. Fortunately I found an aftermarket company that sells a replacement insert made of a better material... knock on wood, but it's been working for over three years now. So don't forget to check those OEM replacement parts to make sure they're not aged out, even if they've never been used.

My buddy told me to stay away from Echlin electrical sold by NAPA. A lot of it is made in Mexico and in his word ''junk'', he went through 3 pick up coils for his 302 before he headed to the Ford dealer
Lots of parts that are sold today are made overseas and as he said junk.
t

It's a sign of the times. More plastic, and more electrical wires that the critters love to chew on and salt dissolves. Plastic headlights? you lose like 80% visibility quickly before ya get the car paid off unless you keep after them, but you gain about three or four more airbags every year and ya get shrapnel in them at no cost yeah that's safety these days. :D

Yeah, the insulation on wires is soy based, guess it's tasty for the critters.

It's a sign of the times. More plastic, and more electrical wires that the critters love to chew on and salt dissolves. Plastic headlights? you lose like 80% visibility quickly before ya get the car paid off unless you keep after them, but you gain about three or four more airbags every year and ya get shrapnel in them at no cost yeah that's safety these days. :D

Our desert pack rats love to chew any wire or hose that is in their path. I have seen them sever a battery cable clean

They're free grazers. I came across the California dessert on a run one night, I bet I ran over at least 30 of em, they were in herds. I had them hanging all over the truck the next day. Despite a truck wash, my truck stunk for days.

Back
Top Bottom