DirecTV dropping Versus

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing (Taylor's Version)
DirecTV says it will no longer carry Versus network -- latimes.com

war.gif

I think its kind of deserving in a way. IndyCar puts thier races on Versus when DirecTV was their series sponsor, so since they did that, they drop the IRL for it and now they drop Versus from their programming.

In a way its payback for the IRL for doing a bonehead move switching in the first place.

I think its kind of deserving in a way. IndyCar puts thier races on Versus when DirecTV was their series sponsor, so since they did that, they drop the IRL for it and now they drop Versus from their programming.

In a way its payback for the IRL for doing a bonehead move switching in the first place.

But keep in mind how much money NewsCorp/FOX/Rupert Murdoch (owner of DirecTV) get off the NFL and College Football. Hockey is the only wintertime substitution for those who can't stand football. Without hockey, it might force those people who don't care about NFL because they can't ever see their favorite team play to get Sunday Ticket.

Me? I'll be spending the winter watching Law & Order reruns. **** Rupert Murdoch and **** football.

so IRL will only be seen on verizon and comcast.......so much for 75 million households....now more like, say, 30 million. if that.

I'd rather watch old school NASCAR on ESPN Classic than IRL on Versus.

I think that was a bad choice for IRL to go with Versus.

I'd rather watch old school NASCAR on ESPN Classic than IRL on Versus.

I think that was a bad choice for IRL to go with Versus.

Um, I was talking about the dozens of live telecasts that have been shoved to ESPN Classic. Danica's win, the most anticipated moment in motorsports in a decade, went down on ESPN Classic for chrissake.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/article.jsp?assetId=P6220002

If Versus is taken down for any period of time, how will DIRECTV make up for the loss?
We're working hard to keep Versus on the air, but if Versus comes down, we will communicate with you and do what we can to ensure your continued satisfaction and loyalty until the matter is resolved. We will continue to negotiate with Versus to resolve this matter. In the meantime, you'll still be able to watch college football on Big Ten Network, The Mtn., ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN GamePlan, local channels and your RSN. NHL games are available on NHL Network, NHL Center Ice, and your RSN. MMA is available on HDNet and Spike TV, IRL on ABC, and Professional Bull Riding on ESPN2.

So you can pay hundreds of dollars to watch the NHL and College Football games... and no need to worry IndyCar fans because ABC airs the races (all 5 of them).;)

:rolleyes:

so IRL will only be seen on verizon and comcast.......so much for 75 million households....now more like, say, 30 million. if that.

But Versus only had about 40 million subscribers (Be careful of fuzzy numbers...lol;)). ESPN/ABC has more than double that amount of subscribers.

I aint droping Direct Tv. I had Comcast for 6 years up until last year, and they where terrible, from charging 10 extra bucks for 5 HD channels to faulty boxes to repair men that never seen a VCR before. Now im done with Comcast and there still screwing me over by stealing the VS network from my Direct Tv package. :mad:

dang that sux... oh well no more tour de france for me i guess
:(

But Versus only had about 40 million subscribers (Be careful of fuzzy numbers...lol;)). ESPN/ABC has more than double that amount of subscribers.

That's great, but ESPN doesn't want to cover more IndyCar. They're more interested in covering The World Series of Poker, The National Spelling Bee and The Junior High School Softball World Series.

Versus is gone on direct tv, i just tried it :mad: :(

dang that sux... oh well no more tour de france for me i guess
:(

Normally, Comcast is the :bs:, but this just sounds like a case of Rupert Murdoch not wanting to run a channel that competes with his crap.

"The bulk of their stuff is generally infomercials and paid programming. A typical day is 10 hours of infomercials, hunting and fishing content. ... We are trying to hold the line on programming costs. Things are tough all over, and we certainly don't want to burden our customer with another price increase with these outrageous demands."

Bull.

Here's VERSUS' side:

Comcast-owned Versus, which covers the National Hockey League and the Tour de France and has a slate of high-profile college football games in the next few weeks, said the rate hike is a smokescreen. What DirecTV wants to do, according to Versus, is put 6 million of the 14 million DirecTV customers on a pay tier, where there would be an additional charge to receive the network.

"I hope things can be resolved amicably, but I can't accept a situation where Versus can lose 6 million viewers," said prexy Jamie Davis. "They didn't call us before they turned us off. Frankly, those who see us on DirecTV should consider switching providers."

So DIRECTV/NEWSCORP (who owns a channel that advocates violence against the US Government and has called our President a "racist") wants you to pay $50/year (actually, the package is $20/month on DirecTV:rolleyes:) for Versus.

**** Rupert Murdoch.

There are rumors that NBC might come in and simulcast Versus' coverage of the final 2 races.

Remember, NBC and VERSUS already work with each other for the NHL broadcasts.

There are rumors that NBC might come in and simulcast Versus' coverage of the final 2 races.

Remember, NBC and VERSUS already work with each other for the NHL broadcasts.

Wont happen, ABC still actually runs the show with the IRL coverage.

Even the NHL insiders are worried now. DIRECTV ain't gonna blink.

Bottom line, if you want to watch the IndyCar Series, you gotta drop DirecTV and get cable. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom