Dirt Late Models.. Ugliest Race Car Made?

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Out of all the racing vehicles in the world, Dirt or pavement these things get my goat. The freakin left rear looks so stupid twisted up in the wheel well. Good looking car sitting still, but on the track it looks ridiculous to me.

item_35_tyler_ivey-winner_late_models.94164738_large.jpg
68cb5dee78dgeway1.jpg

Gotta disagree with ya, dirt late models are among the baddest ass looking race cars on the planet. I would so much rather see a dirt late model all jacked up and tweaked out flying sideways and slinging mud than an asphalt stock car just kind of coasting though a corner.

329035_4477035088877_98336463_o.jpg

And this may have been on of the ugliest cars. But it was so damn fast, it was outlawed.

BaloughBatmobile-373x250.jpg

Is that like a prehistoric big block modified? It looks rad!

Damn, what made it so fast?
Mostly it was the ground effects and downforce, but the radical differences between it and the traditional big block mod were crazy. A lot of drivers tried adding a few things (including the ground effects) but didn't catch the thing.
Is that like a prehistoric big block modified? It looks rad!
Yup, big block modified built by Gary Balough.

http://www.catamountstadium.com/63rd_column_3troublesomecars.htm

I know I am not going to change anybodies mind, but this thing looks like it it has been rear ended and they didn't straighten the frame when they fixed it.:)
ctrp-1303-01+msd-6al-ignition-control-and-distributor-install+race-car.jpg

I gotta say, I like the way the dirt version of street stock cars look. Half of them look beaten up as Hell, but that's part of their charm. :beerbang:

I realize this is an old thread but please bear with me since I'm new here.

Personally I like dirt late models. They're very impressive when you are actually there watching them.
On the other hand, if I want to see racing cars that look like street cars... I can just go look in any parking lot. But to each his own.

I do see a disturbing trend, especially at dirt tracks, where either almost all of the cars look the same (even when they are in different classes) or they are so cut up you can't tell what they were. Every time I bring somebody new to the track I spend a lot of time trying to explain the differences, and the new guy usually doesn't get it. So local tracks listen up: your different classes need to look different enough that casual fans can tell. You also do need stock appearing bodies in some classes so the casual fans can identify with them. And those classes need rules that encourage different makes and models - a class where every car looks the same doesn't cut it.

Glad your here, gone. They let the late models gradually keep jacking up the rear suspension and changing the sheetmetal until they look like a bunch of humpback whales going into a corner. Yeah racing to a point is about speed, but like you say, when the cars all look similar like a bunch of clones running around in circles, it doesn't look very good from a spectators point of view. What used to be late model stock car racing, full bodied late model cars, has turned in to a race of the humpbacks. Late model what?

I know I won't change anyone's mind, but quite frankly, this is bad ass. Doesn't look good froma spectator's point of view? Gotta disagree with that statement.

Monster Dirt Madness 291.jpg

Put me down for liking Late Models. The first time I ever saw them was at Santa Fe Speedway here in the Chicago suburbs. What a show.
It's funny how the 'coolest' looking racecars are usually NOT the fastest.

Dirt sprint cars are the baddest IMO. Like riding a hot rod V8!
hJdzFgw.jpg

Those little side windows always remind me that i'm to fat to race'em :(

Sprint Cars are great looking cars but I agree with StandOnIt they look ridiculous, racey or not.

Put me down for liking Late Models. The first time I ever saw them was at Santa Fe Speedway here in the Chicago suburbs. What a show.
It's funny how the 'coolest' looking racecars are usually NOT the fastest.

Dirt sprint cars are the baddest IMO. Like riding a hot rod V8!
hJdzFgw.jpg
Badass.

Back
Top Bottom