Discount Tire - Anyone here ever purchase from them?

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
I've got two vehicles and an RV to purchase some new skins for. Anyone here ever use Discount Tire for a purchase? Just wondering how the experience was purchasing from them. Anything to be cautious of? Any tips?

I bought some mud tires from them that no one else in town had in stock and had no problems at all.

I bought some mud tires from them that no one else in town had in stock and had no problems at all.
Good to read. I'm going to replace the four tires on the RV in the next couple weeks. That will be quite the expense so I just wanted to be sure that the place is reliable.

I've also got to replace my trucks tires and my daughter's car tires before this winter.

I wish you luck. Any time you spend that much money It's a crap shoot.

I wish you luck. Any time you spend that much money It's a crap shoot.
Especially those rv tires. We went over our little log that we keep for our camping trips. When we totaled it up we found that we put on 8700 miles on this set of tires before experiencing the blow out last week. The other three still look like new. No dry rot. 80 psi as required. Checked before every trip. Two years old. That shouldn't happen.

I have purchased tires from Tire Rack and never had any problems.

Just a FYI I recently got parts from Rock Auto. Name brand parts, excellent prices and service, quick shipping [free if order is over $50 IIRC]

Especially those rv tires. We went over our little log that we keep for our camping trips. When we totaled it up we found that we put on 8700 miles on this set of tires before experiencing the blow out last week. The other three still look like new. No dry rot. 80 psi as required. Checked before every trip. Two years old. That shouldn't happen.
No it shouldn't. And neither should a two year old set of well maintained wheel bearings go out with only 10,900 miles on them. I've checked the other three sets and they are all good.

No it shouldn't. And neither should a two year old set of well maintained wheel bearings go out with only 10,900 miles on them. I've checked the other three sets and they are all good.
RV's, the bastard's of the road. Anything can and will happen in a short period of time.

I looked those remain three tires over real well after I got home. All still look like new. Before I left for Eldora, four of them looked like new. Taking no chances. Replacing them all. They can melt down the old ones and make them someone else's problem.

RV's, the bastard's of the road. Anything can and will happen in a short period of time.

I looked those remain three tires over real well after I got home. All still look like new. Before I left for Eldora, four of them looked like new. Taking no chances. Replacing them all. They can melt down the old ones and make them someone else's problem.
I agree. The old cliche "better safe etc".

I use Discount Tire and have found them to be pretty good. They push their road hazard protection, but I've used it twice to replace tires that went bad without any hassles.
Once they didn't have any tires in my size (it is an odd size on 16.5" wheels) and they tried to sell me a set of 16" wheels and tires instead... I declined since whose wheels wouldn't fit over my brakes. But you can go to their web site and look up tire brands + sizes + prices + availability at the store, saving you a wasted trip.

About the RV tire that went bad, I don't know if it is the same problem but I had a buddy who experienced the same thing. Started having blowouts on tires that were less than six months old and looked new. In his case it turned out that the tire shop had sold him the wrong rating - apparently the same size tire came in "C" and "D" rates (and possibly others). Although the tire fit it wasn't rated for the load. Might want to check that out on your RV.

I have had nothing but good service from them.I always get the road hazard and never had problems getting anything done.My mom,sister and son all use them.Only 1 problem.They are not open on Sundays.

Do like the pro's do, pre trip your rig every morning before you start out, check for fluid leaks on the ground, thump tires, check lights and flashers, enroute it ( walk around)whenever you stop and post trip it when you are thru for the day. Get a wrench or a bar and thump all the tires, they will sound funny not like the others if there is something wrong, a bad bearing seal will usually start slinging grease before it goes, and hotter than hell if it is going, most RV have hubcaps so it makes it a bit harder, but you can smell a hot one. lights out you will catch them before you get stopped. Check under your rig for water or oil leaks etc. You can pull the sticks and check fluid levels if you have been running hard up hills, Catch a lot of stuff before you end up on the side of the road.

Do like the pro's do, pre trip your rig every morning before you start out, check for fluid leaks on the ground, thump tires, check lights and flashers, enroute it ( walk around)whenever you stop and post trip it when you are thru for the day. Get a wrench or a bar and thump all the tires, they will sound funny not like the others if there is something wrong, a bad bearing seal will usually start slinging grease before it goes, and hotter than hell if it is going, most RV have hubcaps so it makes it a bit harder, but you can smell a hot one. lights out you will catch them before you get stopped. Check under your rig for water or oil leaks etc. You can pull the sticks and check fluid levels if you have been running hard up hills, Catch a lot of stuff before you end up on the side of the road.
Standard stuff. I always check those wheels/tires out @ every stop and before every trip. My last stop for fuel was about 20 miles prior to that blowout. No heat issues and fully inflated. It blew like and sounded like a bomb shredding the tire and splitting the tire to the bead. No warning.

About the RV tire that went bad, I don't know if it is the same problem but I had a buddy who experienced the same thing. Started having blowouts on tires that were less than six months old and looked new. In his case it turned out that the tire shop had sold him the wrong rating - apparently the same size tire came in "C" and "D" rates (and possibly others). Although the tire fit it wasn't rated for the load. Might want to check that out on your RV.
My tires are the original ones that came on the RV and are rated properly. They are the standard Tow Max issue. Other and now I like to refer to them as Blow Max.

I have had nothing but good service from them.I always get the road hazard and never had problems getting anything done.My mom,sister and son all use them.Only 1 problem.They are not open on Sundays.
There are no locations available for me in Pennsylvania. I'll be ordering the and having them shipped. Free shipping.

My tires are the original ones that came on the RV and are rated properly. They are the standard Tow Max issue. Other and now I like to refer to them as Blow Max.
might want to run your fully loaded rig across a CAT scale to see how much weight you have on your axles. Might need to move some weight around.

might want to run your fully loaded rig across a CAT scale to see how much weight you have on your axles. Might need to move some weight around.
I've done that in the past as well. When I first got it while it was empty and then again with my max load that I carry. I'm well within my limits. I am able to haul 3500 lbs of cargo/water/propane/clothes, etc. At the time of the blowout my cargo was an 800 lb golf cart, two full 30 lb propane tanks, clothes and food. Far under the max.

The insurance adjuster was out and looked at the damage. He indicated after looking at the tire that it was simply tire failure. Sure, he's no expert on tire failure but he said he's seen his share of these claims from RV'ers. Most times he said the tire failure was due to the tires being dry rotted from sitting and sun damage. He saw no indication of that with my set of tires. The tread was only slightly worn when compared to the exact same tire type that I now have on as a spare. Who knows, maybe I could have hit something lying on the road? I would have had to hit it with my tow vehicle first as the wheels on the RV track the same line. In any event a tire should not let loose like that one did.

Some will let loose like that, some explode and some go quietly. Usually something that gets into the side wall and cuts it will cause a blow out, but a screw or nail in the tread goes slower. Problem is, on a trailer you can't tell like you can on the truck when something is going flat.

I've done that in the past as well. When I first got it while it was empty and then again with my max load that I carry. I'm well within my limits. I am able to haul 3500 lbs of cargo/water/propane/clothes, etc. At the time of the blowout my cargo was an 800 lb golf cart, two full 30 lb propane tanks, clothes and food. Far under the max.

The insurance adjuster was out and looked at the damage. He indicated after looking at the tire that it was simply tire failure. Sure, he's no expert on tire failure but he said he's seen his share of these claims from RV'ers. Most times he said the tire failure was due to the tires being dry rotted from sitting and sun damage. He saw no indication of that with my set of tires. The tread was only slightly worn when compared to the exact same tire type that I now have on as a spare. Who knows, maybe I could have hit something lying on the road? I would have had to hit it with my tow vehicle first as the wheels on the RV track the same line. In any event a tire should not let loose like that one did.
Were they GOODYEARS o_O

That's all standard stuff that all experienced RV'ers do. I pull into a local truck stop with scales and check my rigs weight and the tongue weight before I make a long trip like this one. I have the best load levelers and anti sway bar on the market. I checked my hubs and tires at a gas stop, and all was cool, good and no grease leaks, about 80 or 90 miles before the bearings gave out and came apart on the one wheel. The Heartland technicians said that it sometimes happens without an obvious cause. I have a three year warranty so I was reimbursed for the parts and 50% of the labor which I expect to get the other 50% back from Good Sam Roadside Assistance. Any information and advice that I can get that makes a trip safer and more enjoyable is welcome indeed.

Quick followup on Discount Tire experience. Seeing Blaney's win last night made me think of this thread again.

Ordered my new trailer tires last Sunday and the arrived Tuesday morning via UPS free shipping. Couldn't be happier with their service. Got the tires that I wanted at a reduced rate over what I could locate them for in our local area. I'll be dealing with them again.

Quick followup on Discount Tire experience. Seeing Blaney's win last night made me think of this thread again.

Ordered my new trailer tires last Sunday and the arrived Tuesday morning via UPS free shipping. Couldn't be happier with their service. Got the tires that I wanted at a reduced rate over what I could locate them for in our local area. I'll be dealing with them again.
I'm glad it worked out.

I thought you meant motorhome when you said RV.

Racecar trailers face the same weight/blowout issues. One of our racers is a tire guy and gets a real good line on high quality US made heavy trailer tires for 16"wheels. I'll have to ask him the brand name. Our trailer has the stock cargomate tires, some chinese brand.

I thought you meant motorhome when you said RV.

Racecar trailers face the same weight/blowout issues. One of our racers is a tire guy and gets a real good line on high quality US made heavy trailer tires for 16"wheels. I'll have to ask him the brand name. Our trailer has the stock cargomate tires, some chinese brand.
I was corrected when we traded our class A in for a trailer. They call'em all RV's now to differentiate between live in and haulers. I also think that they believe it sounds sexier and sell's more RV's. :D

It is easy to find the date codes on your tires. I have attached a picture of what you need to look for.
The pic shows the DOT number which normally has two sets of 4 numbers and letters which all relate to who built the tire and what plant etc. than there will be a third set of 4 numbers only, this is the date code.
A date code of for instance 3312 would indicate that tire was built on week 33 of 2012, or 0113 would be week 1 of 2013.
the DOT number will be low on the sidewall near the rim. keep in mind that most tires will have this on both sides but only 1 side will have the date code so you may have to crawl underneath to find it.
My picture doesn't show the whole thing Just look for the DOT.
Rule of thumb is change them after 5 years but for a daily driven vehicle they will probably be worn out before then. A trailer or rv that sits a lot, I most likely would be inclined to change them much sooner no matter how they look.
Keep in mind when your retailer needs to special order a rare or oddball tire it could be 3 or 4 years old already.
photo.JPG

My first experience went well enough with Discount Tire that I ordered two other sets of tires yesterday. :cool:

Winter is just around the corner. Had to put new skins on the kids cars. Gives me a little peace of mind.

something that can help RV/trailer tires a bunch, put the vehicle up on jackstands if it will sit awhile, and put tire covers over the tires if stored outside. That will prevent flatspotting and UV damage.

Bumping this thread as I've ordered off of Discount Tire once again.

I gotta tell ya, this place continues to impress me. Ordered two more sets from Discount Tire yesterday morning and they are to be delivered today. Once again, they beat the price that I could find at any of our local tire shops. Only once in the past couple years have I been able to get my tires at a cheaper price than Discount Tire. Free shipping to boot.

So you go somewhere and have them mounted and balanced?
A lot of places around here won't mount carry in tires :mad:

So you go somewhere and have them mounted and balanced?
A lot of places around here won't mount carry in tires :mad:
Yes, I have several places local to me that balance and mount tires. Maybe you need to look at some of the mom/pop shops in your area.

Yes, I have several places local to me that balance and mount tires. Maybe you need to look at some of the mom/pop shops in your area.
Mom & pop places around here are going away. There is a place that mounts my drag radials. The place that used to be down the street wouldn't mount carry ins.
Maybe that's why they aren't around anymore :)

Mom & pop places around here are going away. There is a place that mounts my drag radials. The place that used to be down the street wouldn't mount carry ins.
Maybe that's why they aren't around anymore :)
That's a shame. I guess I take these places for granted. I've got three shops within 10 miles that will do the job. I also live in a rural location. Lot's of mom/pop's still around here.

I know Tire Rack has, or had, tires stores that they would have your tires delivered to them and they'd do their thing mounting and balancing.
If you're a gear head you must know of someone who can mount, balance and do a FEA for you, more than likely at a reduced cost then a walk in off the street..

Back
Top Bottom