Does Country Music Need An Alcohol Intervention?

Go Panthers

We are the people our parents warned us about
I grew up listening to country, honestly the others didnt exsist in my world until I was in middle school.

As an adult my radio presets have been set for Rock and Country for years. My time between the two was evenly split, but I was thinking the other day that I almost never listen to the country ones any longer.
I miss the good old stuff like Haggard, Jones, Buck Owens, Yokum, Earle etc.... One station plays the old stone country on Saturdays that is about all that is left for me.
Sad to say I am more likely to listen to a dignity insulting pop station now, the whole idea sounds perverted and wrong to me.

There is good alternative country music with a countless number of good artist, it is a shame that radio is so oblivious to them.

It's not just that they sing about drinking, it's that the songs are cookie cutter. Almost every song now features "Hey Girl", "pickup" (in some variation), "in my flatbed", "riverbank", "the good stuff"... well, you get it. It's all so superficial.

It's not just that they sing about drinking, it's that the songs are cookie cutter. Almost every song now features "Hey Girl", "pickup" (in some variation), "in my flatbed", "riverbank", "the good stuff"... well, you get it. It's all so superficial.

The Gatekeepers have a formula for a hit song. The " Hook line" sang over and over and f'n over. It isn't just country music, it is just about any new music that is played on the radio. I had a trainee one time when I had my big truck, and he could find FM stations playing the same ten current "country" songs all the way across the U.S....Did I tell ya he also knew the words and would sing?

The Gatekeepers have a formula for a hit song. The " Hook line" sang over and over and f'n over. It isn't just country music, it is just about any new music that is played on the radio. I had a trainee one time when I had my big truck, and he could find FM stations playing the same ten current "country" songs all the way across the U.S....Did I tell ya he also knew the words and would sing?

Most music genres suck now. I usually listen to classic rock and 90s music, either on Pandora, on the radio (105.3 The Bear and WROV are kickass stations) or through the music channels on DIRECTV.

Reactions: Lin

Every song is the same.

Country music used to be about storytelling. Now? Chicks in shorts in a pickup on a dirt road by the lake drinking beer. That's apparently all that's left.

Country music used to be about storytelling. Now? Chicks in shorts in a pickup on a dirt road by the lake drinking beer. That's apparently all that's left.

I will say the best band out there in regards to story telling and not just singing about what everyone else is singing about, is the Zac Brown Band.

Yeah, I'm not really feeling today's country and haven't felt it in a while. I just poke around the radio until I find something I like, usually on the oldies station. I check the country stations and classic rock stations as well as the one really hard rock/metal station I've found on the local radio dial. The only time I really stop on the country stations is when they play an older country song that I like.

I have to agree with you about the storytelling aspect. It's always been my favorite part of country music. It was what kept drawing Ray Charles back to it as well. While there is nothing at all wrong with a hot chick in shorts, it's not much of an idea for a song.

Pretty much all country music from about 1995 on sucks, IMO. I like a lot of the stuff from before then though.

I will say the best band out there in regards to story telling and not just singing about what everyone else is singing about, is the Zac Brown Band.
Oh yeah, Zac Brown has some good stuff. Story telling and otherwise. Toes, Whatever It Is, Knee Deep, As She's Walking Away, Whiskey's Gone and several more. Although, in actuality at least three of those include, at least passing, references to alcohol.

Zac Brown Band though gets the strangest bleeps in music. The song Toes, is just confusing when they make it "Toes in the water toes in the sand" Who is that offended by the word ass?

Oh yeah, Zac Brown has some good stuff. Story telling and otherwise. Toes, Whatever It Is, Knee Deep, As She's Walking Away, Whiskey's Gone and several more. Although, in actuality at least three of those include, at least passing, references to alcohol.

While there may be a few references to alcohol, I'm ok with that, the songs are completely different than what's out there today.

Knee Deep is a Jimmy Buffetish kind of song, I love that kind of stuff. That's not the new country.

As She's Walking Away isn't a song about getting a girl in your truck and sliding her over, its more the kind of stuff I want to hear.

I've got all three of their albums, there's some really good stuff that's all over the place, its not the same song played over, and over, and over.

They aren't Luke Bryan or any one like that.

While there may be a few references to alcohol, I'm ok with that, the songs are completely different than what's out there today.

Knee Deep is a Jimmy Buffetish kind of song, I love that kind of stuff. That's not the new country.

As She's Walking Away isn't a song about getting a girl in your truck and sliding her over, its more the kind of stuff I want to hear.

I've got all three of their albums, there's some really good stuff that's all over the place, its not the same song played over, and over, and over.

They aren't Luke Bryan or any one like that.
Absolutely. They don't sound just like anybody else out there and that's why they are one of the very few newer artists I enjoy listening to.

Absolutely. They don't sound just like anybody else out there and that's why they are one of the very few newer artists I enjoy listening to.

Ever seen them in concert? Got to go when they were in Charlotte, fantastic concert.

Ladies and gentleman, I'm about to show you the worst song in the history of music. Brace yourself.......

Ladies and gentleman, I'm about to show you the worst song in the history of music. Brace yourself.......

I didn't even know who this person was until the new Weird Al parody "Handy" which was a parody of her song "Fancy." So I went and watched the original. Every bit as bad as this one.

Yeah, I disagree with the "smokin' hot" aspect. That absolute ****iness of the "music" completely negates any hotness that might be there.

Excuse me, but she has a posterior.

Back
Top Bottom