Does NASCAR need more officials?

wi_racefan

Team Owner
This was briefly touched on when I was listening to Sirius and they do make a good point. The last few years they keep talking about reducing the amount of at track Nascar personnel and now we see them missing and blowing a lot of calls this year. Last week it was 2 calls that they claim they didn't have time to get to in real time because they were too busy with other things. Maybe if you can't handle everything with the people you have its time to get more people?

I'm not anywhere near that cynical. I think they ARE understaffed, and some of the people they DO have are incompetent. Race Control has been a dumpster fire ever since they parted ways with David Hoots.
That was my next thought. Do they have enough people, just not the right people?

That was my next thought. Do they have enough people, just not the right people?
I'd agree with this. Don't need more people to look at rain in New Hampshire or Daytona, and say, "We're good."

I'd agree with this. Don't need more people to look at rain in New Hampshire or Daytona, and say, "We're good."
Well, maybe they DO. There was talk about spotters at Daytona not seeing rain, and then according to some sources, their "spotters" consisted of people in the tower, one person on the ground somewhere between turns one and two, and the pace car driver sitting at pit exit. If true, that's CLEARLY not enough people for a facility that large.

I'm not anywhere near that cynical. I think they ARE understaffed, and some of the people they DO have are incompetent. Race Control has been a dumpster fire ever since they parted ways with David Hoots.
So you’re saying that us viewers collectively that saw the six replays of the Byron/Hamlin contact are more competent than NASCAR?
I’d agree with that.

It's fine

Nascar said there was no rain at the tower. There might have been a few drops on the backstretch.

1664463339172.png

I think you guys are missing the boat. Nascar wouldn't have and didn't call a penalty on Byron until he admitted that he did turn Hamlin on purpose. He could have said he wasn't paying attention, or looking at his gauges and there wouldn't have been a penalty. That is a precedent that Nascar has set.

I think you guys are missing the boat. Nascar wouldn't have and didn't call a penalty on Byron until he admitted that he did turn Hamlin on purpose. He could have said he wasn't paying attention, or looking at his gauges and there wouldn't have been a penalty. That is a precedent that Nascar has set.
With all the technology I don't think they need to admit it anymore. I mean they have in car audio and video showing he accelerated. They have steering, brake and throttle traces. Its pretty clear to see what he did

I whole heartedly agree.

What happened to Hoots anyway? I thought he retired but I see that he's now a race director for Trans Am? Did he get pushed out?

What happened to Hoots anyway? I thought he retired but I see that he's now a race director for Trans Am? Did he get pushed out?

I don't remember what was said at the time, but I've heard some off-handed remarks on a couple of podcasts which might suggest it wasn't his idea to leave, but I don't have anything solid on that. I DO know from listening to shows like DBC, what is desired more than even getting calls 100% right is consistency on procedures and calls and across all three series. Even if somebody is going to make calls that make you scratch your head, you would it least like to know that it will be called that way every time and know what to expect. The DBC guys said even things as simple as phrasing and voice inflection that is consistent every time is a HUGE help to the spotters.

I don't buy that, but if they want to go with that narrative, they shouldn't have admitted that the missed the incident. Just tell everyone it is under review.

Byron actually said that he didn't mean to....and then there's the in car with him trolling up.

They are understaffed by design. Pulled everybody off of pit road in favor of cameras...but I guess they forgot to have a camera on the track? Unbelievable.

NASCAR has the same access to broadcast as the fans. I think they selectively "blow calls" on purpose.
...and the radios. Gabehart was lobbying his case.

Look, I'm a Byron guy and I really don't have that much of an issue with him spinning Denny, but the evidence that this was intentional was so incredibly obvious, Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles could have seen it. At the very least, NASCAR should have sent him to the end of the longest line and then revisit the issue if they want to assign more penalties post race. If NASCAR can screw up something THIS SIMPLE, then maybe NOBODY in the control is qualified to do the jobs they have. I am just at a loss for words on how ANYBODY can defend this level of incompetence, including Dale Jr.

Look, I'm a Byron guy and I really don't have that much of an issue with him spinning Denny, but the evidence that this was intentional was so incredibly obvious, Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles could have seen it. At the very least, NASCAR should have sent him to the end of the longest line and then revisit the issue if they want to assign more penalties post race. If NASCAR can screw up something THIS SIMPLE, then maybe NOBODY in the control is qualified to do the jobs they have. I am just at a loss for words on how ANYBODY can defend this level of incompetence, including Dale Jr.
Dale has become a (gerbil-like) corporate mouthpiece.

They need a safer car more than they need officials

...and Denny should have gotten his spot back. He had a race winning car....

Well, everybody wants to talk precedent, and there is certainly no precedent for THAT. NASCAR simply does not give spots back, no matter how much you think you got screwed.
NASCAR's credibility is waning.....precedent wouldn't be a good idea. The field is frozen at the yellow....until Willy went big balls.....not giving anything back. Keeping what he earned. Just like Indy last year with Briscoe after being black flagged.....you can't get spun out by a car that technically doesn't exist....

NASCAR's credibility is waning.....precedent wouldn't be a good idea. The field is frozen at the yellow....until Willy went big balls.....not giving anything back. Keeping what he earned. Just like Indy last year with Briscoe after being black flagged.....you can't get spun out by a car that technically doesn't exist....
They did nothing when Hamlin cobbed Elliott in the ass at Martinsville, nor when Briscoe did the same thing to Hamlin at Indy, nor when Elliott ran Hamlin into the wall or when Hamlin ran Byron into the wall at Texas, or Joey running Byron into the wall on and on . Now what was your point? Credibility?

They did nothing when Hamlin cobbed Elliott in the ass at Martinsville, nor when Briscoe did the same thing to Hamlin at Indy, nor when Elliott ran Hamlin into the wall or when Hamlin ran Byron into the wall at Texas, or Joey running Byron into the wall on and on . Now what was your point? Credibility?

Byron had the courtesy to retaliate under caution with a harmless tap. Denny should be extremely grateful Byron didn't choose to rough him up under green. Denny can cry all he wants about the track position, but he should feel lucky his car didn't get torn up and he didn't get hurt again.

Byron had the courtesy to retaliate under caution with a harmless tap. Denny should be extremely grateful Byron didn't choose to rough him up under green. Denny can cry all he wants about the track position, but he should feel lucky his car didn't get torn up and he didn't get hurt again.
Byron made the mistake of admitting what he did to Hamlin when the race was over. Nascar had to penalize him.

If you look above your post at that clip, it looks intentional. Who's to judge
People that are intentionally trying to take someone out generally don't have the tires locked up when they impact them

Johnny Sauter did it even worse but he got suspended for a race in 2019 for wrecking Austin Hill under yellow.

Back
Top Bottom