Domino affect in college football

buckaroo

Here kitty, kitty, kitty
Heard a great discussion today on sports radio concerning college football and conference championship tournaments. The NCAA says that in order to have a conference championship tournament, the conference has to have at least 12 teams. Here's where the discussion begins. Supposedly both the Big 10 and Pac 10 want to expand to 12 teams. The Big 10 only needs one and talks have centered on Missouri which would be a good fit. The Pac 10 needs 2 teams and those that have been talked about include Utah and Colorado. If the Big 10 does get Mizz, and forgetting about the Pac 10 for a moment, that would leave the Big 12 at least one team short. What would be a great fit there? Arkansas which would leave the SEC a team short. Okay, now the SEC would need a team and what would be a great fit there? How about Clemson. But that would leave the ACC a team short so what might be a good fit there? How about West Virginia? Of course there have been other teams that have been bantered about including Texas to the Big 10 (huh?), Miami or Florida State to the SEC and so many other thoughts it mind boggling. All it would take would be for the Big 10 to start this domino and see how it could go. If the Pac 10 snagged a Big 12 team as well, then it gets even more complicated.

Any thoughts?

I think it is all pretty rediculous, but because it is highly profitable it will probably happen. The Big 10 has always had a lot of tradition. Adding Penn State a few years ago damaged that tradition in a lot of ways for me. These schools love to laud their "great traditions" when it suits them and then snub those same traditions when there is enough money involved.

I'm also not crazy about the idea of conference championship games in the first place. Why is every conference game so important in the Big Ten? Because if you lose one or two you probably aren't winning the conference. But if you have a conference championship game you just have to be one of the top two to still have a shot to make up for your earlier failures. It's a lot like NASCAR in that regard. The Cup used to be a reward for season long excellence. Now, it's a reward for getting hot at the right time. The old way seemed a lot more legitimate to me, but again money rules the day there too.

Make Notre Dumb join a conference that needs a team. Its ridiculous they get a pass to be a BCS team when they play no one.

Make Notre Dumb join a conference that needs a team. Its ridiculous they get a pass to be a BCS team when they play no one.
Don't think you can make a university join a conference. But it's funny they belong to a conference with their basketball team and not the football team. But I understand totally why they don't want to join a conference in football. As BO said, money talks.

Back
Top Bottom