Door Bumper Clear/Mike Joy twitter war

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Very interesting how much Mike Joy has to say off mic. Ty Gibbs and Noah Gragson among others are discussed

My favorite point was when Mike refused to swear because it become a thing

I liked what he said about Johnson. Clears up a popular myth that has been going on for years. Johnson wasn't "discovered" Johnson was promoted.

I liked what he said about Johnson. Clears up a popular myth that has been going on for years. Johnson wasn't "discovered" Johnson was promoted.
my apologies as I havent had a chance to listen yet, but does he mean Jimmie Johnson?

He's right.

All these kids have to do now is drive and practice on simulators.

They don't have to put in the kind of work old school racers did, and they don't appreciate the hard work that other people put in behind the scenes, nor do they appreciate the opportunity because, well, in America, when you're born into wealth, you're entitled to "success." Most of these kids have never actually held a job, and they think that the whole world owes them something while constantly acting like victims themselves.

thats interesting I always thought as the story goes "he went up to Jeff Gordon constantly for advice and then Jeff recommended him for the 48 ride with a full Lowe's sponsorship."

He's right.

They don't have to put in the kind of work old school racers did, and they don't appreciate the hard work that other people put in behind the scenes, nor do they appreciate the opportunity because, well, in America, when you're born into wealth, you're entitled to "success." Most of these kids have never actually held a job, and they think that the whole world owes them something while constantly acting like victims themselves.
It's not a "now" thing, it has been going on for years but I don't think at the level it is now though.
thats interesting I always thought as the story goes "he went up to Jeff Gordon constantly for advice and then Jeff recommended him for the 48 ride with a full Lowe's sponsorship."
Chevy exec guaranteed support from GM and was shopping him around to the car owners.

It's not a "now" thing, it has been going on for years but I don't think at the level it is now though.

Chevy exec guaranteed support from GM and was shopping him around to the car owners.
consider my mind blown for the day. Didnt know this at all.

It is a "now" thing. Past generations of wealthy kids at least appreciated the sacrifice other people put in for their careers.

These kids now just think they're entitled to it. They legitimately think they "earned" it and have done it the hard way.

He's right.

Give it a rest.

We have a section of the forum almost entirely devoted to you airing your various grievances. It's old.

People send their children to prep school and get them into Harvard Law.

They graduate debt-free.

He's right.

You have a problem with black n white thinking if I may say so. Not all "rich kids" are as you portray them are all entitled acting jackasses. Marty Robbins had a ball racing and was never a jackass. Paul Menard who's one of the richest kids to ever race in the series, or Dale Earnhardt Jr, Chase Elliott, Brendan Gaughan to name a few aren't that way and fans of those drivers wouldn't appreciate the disrespect and from where it comes.

You have a problem with black n white thinking if I may say so. Not all "rich kids" are as you portray them are all entitled acting jackasses. Marty Robbins had a ball racing and was never a jackass. Paul Menard who's one of the richest kids to ever race in the series, or Dale Earnhardt Jr, Chase Elliott, Brendan Gaughan to name a few aren't that way and fans of those drivers wouldn't appreciate the disrespect and from where it comes.

I'm clearly talking about the people who don't appreciate opportunities that have been afforded to them solely on their wealth and think they have done it the hard way. And there are A LOT more of those in racing now than 20 years ago.

thanks! I'll have to give these fellows a listen, the GM support I didnt know. I didnt think he had the backing until after he became "Jimmie Johnson" which is... after his rookie year right as he won a couple of races and missed winning the championship in his first go of it.

I'm clearly talking about the people who don't appreciate opportunities that have been afforded to them solely on their wealth and think they have done it the hard way. And there are A LOT more of those in racing now than 20 years ago.
I understand you are a slow learner. Thinking that the rich drivers are "entitled to success" is another subject that Mike Joy touched on and of course his wisdom on the subject should be respected. Just because for whatever reason a driver who has good funding can obtain a very good ride doesn't mean everybody is going to pull over and let them win. The series is littered with dead auto carcusses of those that didn't make it despite all the money in the world.

Well if I may, I'll present drivers such as Ryan Blaney, Chase Elliott, Cole Custer, The Burton boys, Corey LaJoie as prime examples of drivers who came from a place of wealth or had every advantage..... and dont seem entitled at all. But I will say you work in the business, Im just a fan on the couch making an observation from what I see on TV but my opinion is not all the young guns today seem like entitled jerks, there are some though but I dont think its as grave a picture as you're painting.

Well if I may, I'll present drivers such as Ryan Blaney, Chase Elliott, Cole Custer, The Burton boys, Corey LaJoie as prime examples of drivers who came from a place of wealth or had every advantage..... and dont seem entitled at all. But I will say you work in the business, Im just a fan on the couch making an observation from what I see on TV but my opinion is not all the young guns today seem like entitled jerks, there are some though but I dont think its as grave a picture as you're painting.
yeah, blanket condemnation isn't the way to go. And we all like to see the low budget guys have their day, but that's the way it has always been in the Racing game. I guess the whiners came along at the same time. :idunno: Guys who owned automobile companies back in the early 1900's got the racing going to start with and most of them were a long ways from being low budget.

yeah, blanket condemnation isn't the way to go. And we all like to see the low budget guys have their day, but that's the way it has always been in the Racing game. I guess the whiners came along at the same time. :idunno: Guys who owned automobile companies back in the early 1900's got the racing going to start with and most of them were a long ways from being low budget.
yah I am of the same thinking. The rags to riches story in racing is while a nice story, is few and far between. It's been my observation as a fan that Most of these people that do this successfully come from money and for me personally thats okay. I honestly dont really care either what their financial status is. If a guy is a jag hes going to be a jag with money in the bank account or not, at least thats my experience in life.

They had simulators. They drove around with the windows up and the heater on.. :idunno:
I dislike it when people talk admiringly about how people 'worked harder' in the 'good old days', while ignoring that Cale and Buddy and David didn't have a choice.

If drivers could run A/C without a performance penalty, replacing the Freon would be on every car chief's checklist.

Another angle is those rich kids give alot to the sport. Without some of these dreaded rich kids your favorite team might have one or two less cars on Sundays and especially Fridays and Saturdays.

yah I am of the same thinking. The rags to riches story in racing is while a nice story, is few and far between. It's been my observation as a fan that Most of these people that do this successfully come from money and for me personally thats okay. I honestly dont really care either what their financial status is. If a guy is a jag hes going to be a jag with money in the bank account or not, at least thats my experience in life.

I don't care about their finances one bit. That's not what bothers me. It's the attitude.

Many of the people watching this sport are just happy if their 80 hour work week is rewarded with a mediocre life.

I'm part of short track racing. This big money stuff is destroying the grassroots of this sport because so many rich kids think they're entitled to win races and their parents can throw a ton of money at it. Not all that different from how the ultra-wealthy in this country continue to pay off politicians to make the working man's life worse and worse.

I don't care about their finances one bit. That's not what bothers me. It's the attitude.

Many of the people watching this sport are just happy if their 80 hour work week is rewarded with a mediocre life.

I'm part of short track racing. This big money stuff is destroying the grassroots of this sport because so many rich kids think they're entitled to win races and their parents can throw a ton of money at it. Not all that different from how the ultra-wealthy in this country continue to pay off politicians to make the working man's life worse and worse.
I'm sure there was somebody saying the same thing when Kiekhaefer showed up with three matching haulers and the cars to go with them back in the 50' s. But most fans thought it was cool as hell.

I'm not very surprised that spotters / part time podcasters who in part get to be in racing due to them working for rich kids have the perspectives they do on rich kids in racing. This symbiotic relationship helps those spotters quite a lot. These rich kids entertain me on weekends afternoons and employ a lot of passionate likeminded competitors who works on their cars.

The rich kids that are "ruining" racing whom boost fields and give the sport more exposure also helps journalists and those who cover the sport. Even supplies those said journalists with nice storylines they can run with if their lack of perspective lends to drama.

I dont want to diminish your feelings on this subject as you actually do see this on a more intimate level than I do but however for me when I watch a race I just want to be entertained. I dont care about their attitudes or entitlement one bit, if they can wheel the hell out of a car and entertain me in the process then so be it. I'll make my own determination during the post race or VL interview if they come off as a jerk off.

Tried listening guess its no longer available. Guess I'll never know what he had to say
^yeah I saw that too. Maybe the poster was told to take it down? - Youtube poster not the poster here

It is a "now" thing. Past generations of wealthy kids at least appreciated the sacrifice other people put in for their careers.

These kids now just think they're entitled to it. They legitimately think they "earned" it and have done it the hard way.
You sound like someone who doesn’t understand why Baby Boomers are called the “me generation”.

Millenials get blamed for “participation trophies” but it was Gen X who handed them out.

Every new generation is labeled as “entitled by the generations that raised them. It’s stupid and only those who are intellectually dishonest get caught up in it.

It really does just depend on character at the end of the day. There's rich kids who give more than they take, and then there's rich kids who don't appreciate what they have. Same goes for blue collar racers - some earnestly work hard and are all around good guys, but even some in that group don't appreciate the opportunities they have.

Back
Top Bottom