Driver comfort vs athletisicm

29-4

Team Owner
I instigated a debate on this topic in the race thread which was getting us off topic. But, I'm curious, why everyone seems to be so one-sided in their opinion that drivers should be as comfortable in the car as possible. In particular, I'm referring to the fans and so-called 'air-conditioning.'

We want drivers to be perceived as athletes. One of the main 'feats' of athletisicm in racing is dealing with heat in the car. There are plenty of ways we could remove athletisicm from other sports that would make athletes more comfortable. For example, we could save pitchers arms by mandating that they throw underhand. We could allow PGA pros to ride from hole to hole (outside of that medical need BS lawsuit from a few years back.)

As I mentioned in the race thread, I'm not talking about removing safety innovations or carbon monoxide protections, just some of the comfort stuff. If we are going to have 500 mile races, there should be a driver endurance factor.

There already is a driver endurance factor. Don't think because they have some relatively cooler air blowing into their helmets that these guys are by any definition 'comfortable'. There isn't much that limited support system can do when it's 140 in the car. It's more like the conveniences make them less uncomfortable.

But what's the problem with being as comfortable as possible in the first place? Discomfort doesn't define an athlete, and athleticism isn't defined by the acceptance of needless discomfort. We could play this pointless game with almost any sport. Look at all those wimpy athletes in other sports who insist on wearing shoes or skates instead of going barefoot. Run a marathon like that and THEN we'll call you an athlete. Winter sports 'athletes' shouldn't be allowed warm clothing; get out there in the snow wearing what the beach volleyball athletes do. Better yet, everyone in every sport should go naked like the Greeks intended. Now THOSE were athletes! :rolleyes:

In the Phoenix thread, you raised the point that drivers in the past got along without an air system. First, they had open-faced helmets (if they had helmets at all). That let in a lot of air flow around the head (and also the danger of debris or fire injuries). Second, they couldn't use what wasn't available. You can bet those drivers would have used today's cooling systems if they'd had them.

Do you also have problems with sun-blocking tape on the top of the windshield or helmet face shield? Should they have to squint too? Let's rip out the power steering, too. On early and late season races when the outside air is cold, NASCAR can mandate heaters in the cars to drive up the internal temperature to 'athletic' extremes.

Geez...

Last edited:
1i48io.jpg

Did I mention those old-time drivers weren't in cars designed to keep as much air as possible flowing PAST the window, not INTO it? I didn't? Then I probably forgot to point out how the window net blocks air flow too.

Just because they used to do it one way doesn't mean they were better athletes, or that the old way was best.

I instigated a debate on this topic in the race thread which was getting us off topic. But, I'm curious, why everyone seems to be so one-sided in their opinion that drivers should be as comfortable in the car as possible. In particular, I'm referring to the fans and so-called 'air-conditioning.'

We want drivers to be perceived as athletes. One of the main 'feats' of athletisicm in racing is dealing with heat in the car. There are plenty of ways we could remove athletisicm from other sports that would make athletes more comfortable. For example, we could save pitchers arms by mandating that they throw underhand. We could allow PGA pros to ride from hole to hole (outside of that medical need BS lawsuit from a few years back.)

As I mentioned in the race thread, I'm not talking about removing safety innovations or carbon monoxide protections, just some of the comfort stuff. If we are going to have 500 mile races, there should be a driver endurance factor.

I can only imagine what Bobby Allison thinks of driver comfort today versus the carbon monoxide filled ovens he rode around in. IDK if the newer cars necessitate the drivers be cooled in the way they are and how much has to do with full face helmets and fire retardant undies.

Football players and fans play/watch in oppressive heat and sub-zero temps and don't think a thing of but Nascar fans are different and don't like races that are real hot or the least bit cool.

STICK AND BALL ALERT

Football players don't dress the same way for August pre-season games in Tampa as they do for January playoff games on the Frozen Tundra. They also change cleats to fit the condition of the field. If it's snowed, they have the field cleared before the game starts and when possible after that.

Why should drivers not use different technologies for different conditions?

STICK AND BALL ALERT

Football players don't dress the same way for August pre-season games in Tampa as they do for January playoff games on the Frozen Tundra. They also change cleats to fit the condition of the field. If it's snowed, they have the field cleared before the game starts and when possible after that.

Why should drivers not use different technologies for different conditions?

I don't recall hearing any race car drivers dying from dehydration but I know it isn't uncommon to hear of football players keeling over especially in training camp. If technology can help a driver remain cooler and retain hydration plus enable him to breathe fresher air I am all for it.

Years ago, A neighbor of mine said he saw Wendall Scott help pit his own car. Thats what we need today, to make men out them bunch of panty waisted metrosexualized delicate boys.

They could make the drivers eat a big meal, then force feed em Ex-Lax or some turbo-Lax pre race. That would really test how tough a driver was, and who has the most guts to keep their sheet together when the deal goes down.

A guy that does some writing sez he saw AJ Foyt bring a car into to pit lane mid race to go take a dump, then return.

Guess he was not a world class athlete.

When he, the only driver to approach the greatness of ole Smoke, got out of the Wood Brothers Mercury, he never won another stock car race.

Pearson may have won a couple with it after that. Don't remember exactly...........

Dang, I guess this is my most unpopular opinion I've posted on this site. 18 posts and no one agrees.

Thats because its absurd

It's not absurd to say driver comfort should be limited. Why not take it to the extreme? Why not full-on air-conditioning? Let the drivers race in cool, 70-degree comfort. If you don't agree with that, then we're just discussing matters of degree (pun intended).

Drivers passing out from heatstroke is not safe ........ lets let em use what they have

It's simple, the more comfortable the driver is, the better he can do. As long as you aren't robbing horsepower, why not make them more comfortable? Just because they are athletes, doesn't mean they should have to suffer as much as possible.

It's not absurd to say driver comfort should be limited. Why not take it to the extreme? Why not full-on air-conditioning? Let the drivers race in cool, 70-degree comfort. If you don't agree with that, then we're just discussing matters of degree (pun intended).
Too big a performance hit on the engine. Otherwise, I agree with you: why not?

Seriously???

They could make the drivers eat a big meal, then force feed em Ex-Lax or some turbo-Lax pre race. That would really test how tough a driver was, and who has the most guts to keep their sheet together when the deal goes down.

A field of drivers whose hind ends resemble root beer dispensers would be funny. May have to make Chocolate Myers honorary pit steward.

Go back to racing convertibles!!!
btw I'm pretty sure that nascar is the only sport that a driver, meaning athlete, can't signal to be pulled for a breather.

Who is we?

YOU would be falling out of a $3500 seat in a hobby stock car after 40 laps. Stop talking. Go to the Petty thing and turn some laps at 3/4 speed. Get back to US after you've done that.

The most difficult thing I have experienced when being a passenger with a professional driver is how deep they drive into the corners. It doesn't translate to TV at all and not much, if at all, in person. Four times a lap it looks like you will knock the wall down and it is extremely difficult to get used to as your senses are telling you to do something else. If anyone needs plaque cleared from their arteries I would highly recommend booking some time with a pro as what they do cannot be duplicated by many as most would not have the stones.

Go back to racing convertibles!!!
btw I'm pretty sure that nascar is the only sport that a driver, meaning athlete, can't signal to be pulled for a breather.
Golf. Beach volleyball. Most sports that are played solo or with only two or three participants.

None of those examples stand the chance of the entire event going non-stop. Oh, wait; with stages, now NASCAR doesn't either.

Back
Top Bottom