Driver dies from head injuries in F2 race

D

Digger

BRANDS HATCH, England - Henry Surtees, the son of 1964 Formula One champion John Surtees, has died after being struck in the head during an F2 race on Sunday.

The 18-year-old Surtees was knocked unconscious after being hit by a tire from another car, causing his car to crash into a barrier in the second of the weekend's races at Brands Hatch.

He was airlifted to Royal London hospital, where was later pronounced dead.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/31998016/ns/sports-motor_sports/

Rest in peace.

I wasn't aware that they still raced F2. I thought that series had been phased out. I could be thinking of something else, though.

Anyway, that's kind of a nightmare situation for an open-wheel driver. The driver's head in the ****pit is exposed, and there have been many close calls in the past. Not just open-wheel either. In some ALMS cars the driver's head is vulnerable too.

I wonder if this will lead to a safety overhaul in open-wheel series? This wasn't their Dale Earnhardt, so probably not. Safety generally doesn't improve until you lose a major star.

There's no question the pod's are safe..but i agee, the exposed heads are an issue. FSAE requires the roll bar to be forward of the center of the seat, with support tubes to the rear.

Maybe the sides fo the ****pit should be brought up like in dragsters?

IMG_2766_2.jpg

There's no question the pod's are safe..but i agee, the exposed heads are an issue.

Yes, the pods are safe, but like you said the exposed heads need to be addressed. Even in the FSAE cars, the driver is still exposed to a frontal impact. All open-wheel cars are designed to shatter on impact. That helps disperse the energy on the driver. The SAFER barrier and foam in the CoT does the same thing. The problem is that it creates a lot of debris (especially tires).

I think ultimately open-wheel series will need to face the fact that an enclosed ****pit is the only way to fully protect a driver from debris. The drivers may not like it, and these accidents are rare, but it's the only way to really avoid this type of tragedy.

I seems like adding another roll bar a foot or so in front of the other one would have prevented this tragedy. That being said, that certainly wouldn't be a full proof plan either.

I seems like adding another roll bar a foot or so in front of the other one would have prevented this tragedy. That being said, that certainly wouldn't be a full proof plan either.

Exactly...like the fsae image i posted...thats why they want the bar so far forward. it goes both ways...if it rolls, a bar over the driver is safer than behind the driver. and theres a better chance of a tire bouncing off the roll hoop rather than the drivers helmet.

Back
Top Bottom