abooja

A compendium from around the net: :)

http://www.motorsport.com/news/series.asp?S=NASCAR-WCS

Darlington II: Bill Elliott preview
NASCAR-WCS
2002-08-28

BILL ELLIOTT NO. 9 DODGE DEALERS INTREPID R/T

RUNNING AT DARLINGTON
"Darlington can be tough. It helps if you've been around it a few times. We've had some good runs there in the Dodge. I don't know what it is, but I always seem to have better runs at the Southern. You always hear about how abrasive the track can be that's why tires are important here. They fall off so fast because of that. It really helps if you know how to conserve them. I'm sure that will be important this weekend as well."

SOUTHERN 500
"I want to win any race, it doesn't matter where it is. This race is one of the bigger ones on the circuit, but like I said after Indy, no one race is more important than another. We just have to keep doing what we're doing. If we do that, then we'll continue to be competitive and put ourselves in position to win races."

WINNING THE MILLION
"It was a pretty big deal back then. It was the first time that it was done and that created a lot of excitement about it. Things got a little out of hand leading up to the race but we kind of got them under control by the time we got to Darlington, the media and all the attention. We just tried to concentrate on the car and doing what we needed to do. It is definitely a highlight in my career and one people still seem to talk about."

POSSIBILITY OF RUNNING UNDER LIGHTS AT DARLINGTON
"Everyone seems to like racing under the lights. They're always big races for the fans, just like Bristol. Doing it during the holiday weekend would create a lot of excitement I'm sure."

RACE NOTES

* Bill Elliott and the No. 9 Dodge Squad will bring the Dodge Intrepid R/T that qualified and finished 2nd at Dover this year.

* This Sunday Bill Elliott will celebrate his 50th visit to one of his best tracks, Darlington Raceway. After 49 appearances at the track, Elliott leads all active drivers with five Bud Poles and is tied with Jeff Gordon for the most victories (five) among active drivers. He also leads all modern-era drivers in top-fives (20) and top 10s (32) at the track. Elliott's 9.16 average finish at Darlington is best among all active drivers.

Darlington II: Kevin Harvick preview
NASCAR-WCS
2002-08-28

Darlington Raceway, the 44th competitor.

HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. (August 26, 2002) - This speedway this spring, Kevin Harvick whittled his way to his first top-ten of the season, taking away the third position. This go-around, things are a little different. The 2001 Busch Series Champion has all but dominated the latter-half season point standings and is chiseling his way toward a top-ten finish in the NASCAR Winston Cup Owners Point Standings. Having accumulated six top-tens in the last seven races, there's little that has derailed the No. 29 GM Goodwrench Service team.

The 1.366-mile Darlington (S.C.) Raceway presents tight racing conditions and is conceivably the hardest race to race, because it's not just the other 42 cars you need to worry about. Your toughest competitor is the racetrack itself.

The track known as "too tough to tame" conjures up fear for some drivers. The "Lady in Black," sends almost half of the 43-car race field home with bent fenders or blown motors. But, for Harvick, the tenacity of the track - its unrelenting viciousness - is something that sparks his animated nature. It is, perhaps, why the Southern 500 is one on a list of "Most Wanted Wins" by the whole NASCAR Winston Cup field.

Kevin Harvick, driver of the No. 29 GM Goodwrench Service Chevrolet Monte Carlo, speaks tradition, racing with a 44th competitor, and laps around the Darlington Raceway:

Who cares about the Lady in Red when you have one wearing Black. "I want to win Darlington because it's so hard to drive. It's so hard to get your car set up right. Any place that has a long list of the sport's greats winning or dominating there - you want to be added to the list.

"We're on this roll right now. These next races can make or break you, and a lot of it has to do with luck. We're short track racing for a while here. We came through Bristol extremely well, and now we have Darlington, Richmond, and New Hampshire. All of these are places where you can run really well and finish really bad because of someone else's mistake. This is where you'll see the shake up in points, and we're just trying to get on the good side of it all."

New Rule: 44 competitors instead of 43. "Your biggest competition is the track. You can't go too hard and you can't just ride around with the top down. You have to know your car and know whether it'll give in the turn or plow down the frontstretch. If you know how the track is going to behave with your car, you're golden. That's the biggest way you make it past the rest of the 42 guys out there.

"Goodyear has these tires now that last forever. But Darlington will still run them tougher than any other place. It's by far the hardest on them. I don't know if anyone could ever make a piece of rubber hard enough to take on Darlington. It used to be stickers (new tires) wouldn't last very long. But, if you had hit a late race caution right, the guy with the newer tires will win. He'd be that much faster."

The Harvick Driving Experience: Let's take a lap. "You take your laps with the pace car and you drive off past the start finish line into turn one. It's really narrow. Very narrow. You just let off (the gas) and then you need to get right back on it. You drive it up to the wall and ride it as close to the wall as you can. This would be where drivers get that famed 'Darlington Stripe.' While you're next to the wall, you ride three-quarters of the way through the corner. Then, you breathe out of the gas and get the car pointed to turn two. Coming off of turn two it's like shootin' the hole, riding up next to the wall down the back straight-away. Into turn three, you get back in it (the gas) and drive the car to the bottom. And then it slides all the way to the top. You get on the gas, come off of the corner of turn four. You're right up against the wall the whole way around. They must have to repaint that wall everyday we're there.

"It's about comfort I think. You ride up against the wall the whole time for 400 miles, That can be unnerving. It takes a lot of endurance - like any other track, but it also is constant concentration on not only what the field is doing, but how close you are to that wall. It's hard to do. With Darlington, the only paved surface you can drive on is two and a half cars wide. Everyone will hit the wall at least once or twice. It's just a matter of how hard and when you do it.

"A good handling racecar is the most important aspect. If you've got something that's loose or tight, you're not going to make it. You'll get into other people or the wall a bunch. Who ever drops off the least and runs the longest is going to be your race winner."

Darlington II: Tony Stewart preview
NASCAR-WCS
2002-08-28

Tony Stewart
Back to old school.

ATLANTA (Aug. 26, 2002) - Labor Day weekend typically marks the end of summer and the beginning of school for many a child across the United States. Therefore it's only fitting that the 53rd running of the Southern 500 at the historic Darlington (S.C.) Raceway marks a return to old school racing for those competing in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series.

Darlington is the oldest track on the 23-venue Winston Cup tour, having run its first race back in 1950 in what was then called the Grand National Series. Much has changed around the 1.366-mile egg-shaped oval since then, but the tough and gritty layout remains virtually the same since Johnny Mantz took the first checkered flag Darlington ever offered.

For Stewart, a 31-year-old throwback to the days of A.J. Foyt, Mario Andretti and Parnelli Jones - drivers who would race anything, anywhere - Darlington represents old school racing, where driver feel and the ability to adapt to ever-changing track conditions reign superior.

With the abrasive track surface attacking tires like a cheese-grader, racing at Darlington means constantly driving an ill-handling race car. After 10 laps, whatever grip your tires once had is no more, and the seat-of-the-pants feel drivers are ordained with is all that's left.

For Stewart, that's an advantage. When not piloting his #20 Home Depot Pontiac or attending one of his many sponsor appearances, Stewart is racing somewhere. Whether it be on dirt or on pavement, the various cars wheeled by Stewart in various racing environments make the Indiana native a chameleon of sorts, easily adapting to his latest surroundings.

It's the best practice one can get for racing at Darlington.

You just left one tough race track in Bristol (Tenn.) and you're heading to another one in Darlington. How similar are the two tracks when it comes to their physical nature?

"Bristol is tougher physically because you have less time when you're on the straightaways to relax. You almost have no time, really. But at Darlington, the straightaways are long enough to where you can relax a little bit. But don't get me wrong, it's still a tough track."

How tough is this span of races - Bristol, Darlington, Richmond (Va.), Loudon (N.H.), Dover (Del.) - before the relative reprieve of Kansas City?

"For us, it's the best stretch of the schedule. It's tough for the race teams and the crew, but for me personally, this is one of the stretches in the schedule that I really enjoy."

What makes this part of the schedule work to your advantage?

"It gets hot and slippery. The cars start sliding around a lot more, and that seems to play into my hands. It's something that I'm comfortable with, whereas some other drivers might not be."

Do you credit your extra-curricular racing to the success that you've historically enjoyed during this stretch of the season?

"It certainly hasn't hurt me any. I feel like all the stuff that I did in the past to get me to this level definitely helped me, and I really believe that the racing I do now outside of Winston Cup continues to help, especially now when the tracks are hot and slick."

Do you feel this part of the schedule is where other teams start dragging?

"I think so, and this is the part of the year where if you sense that, you can really capitalize on it by preying on the weak, so to speak."

Despite the outcome of this year's spring Darlington race, do you feel that was your best run yet at Darlington?

"I believe it equals our best run. We got ourselves in a situation where we were on four fresh tires and a lot of the other guys only had two fresh tires, and we were able to take advantage of that. But with the wreck, it just didn't work out."

(Stewart had never led a lap at Darlington until this year's spring race, where he led a total of seven laps before a spinning Buckshot Jones collected him coming off turn two on lap 226. With his #20 Home Depot Pontiac already damaged, Stewart was then T-boned by the Dodge of Jimmy Spencer, a hit that sent Stewart to the hospital for overnight observation. - Ed.)

You're coming up on your eighth career race at Darlington. With the age of the track, the various tire compounds you've brought there, the advancing technology of the cars, has the track changed much since you first raced there in March of 1999?

"I don't think the track has ever changed. It's still just as tough as it ever was. Goodyear can bring any tire they want there, but the surface will still tear it up. It's not because of a lack of effort on Goodyear's part, it's just that Darlington has a very abrasive surface that's worn out. And anytime you have a track that's worn out like Darlington is, it's virtually impossible to bring a tire that is going to live. It's just a tough race track, but that's what makes it a lot of fun too."

Does Darlington's track surface seem to change drastically from the time you were there in March to the time you go there in late August/early September?

"It seems like the track is a lot hotter and gives up a lot more grip in August. But that track has always been a tire management type of race track, so you're still going to have to worry about saving your tires. But if the tires are a little harder, like they've been this year, then it's easier to do that."

Darlington pays the same amount of points as any other track on the circuit, but because of its history, it seems to be a race you want to win badly. Is that a fair assessment?

"I'd love to win the Southern 500. When I'm watching TV and I see an old race from Darlington, I'm able to see the history of Darlington and the Southern 500, along with all of the greats who have run there and won there and crashed out of the joint. There's some deep history there, and the race fans down there are some of the most dedicated race fans in our series. That makes it really enjoyable to run well, and hopefully win there."

Do you hold the Southern 500 in the same regard as the Daytona 500 and Brickyard 400 because of its history?

"You learn a lot about the Southern 500 by watching Speed Channel and seeing all of the classic races. It was kind of like the appreciation I got for Daytona (Fla.) with the 500. Everybody knows it's the biggest race of the year, but to see its history, you realize why it's such a spectacle. It's the same with the Southern 500. You see it's history and you realize what a special event it is, and it makes you want to win it that much more."

Is Darlington the one track on the Winston Cup circuit where you feel you have to work the hardest?

"It's one of the tracks where we seem to work the hardest. The way the tires fall off and as narrow as the track is - it's hard to pass. So, you've got to get your car driving well to be able to pass. You don't want to use up your tires too early in a run. It's definitely one of the harder tracks on the circuit, but there are a lot of hard tracks on our schedule."

Are there different lines that you can run at Darlington?

"The way the tires fall off and the way that you have to change your driving style to compensate for what the tires lack at the end of a run, you'll end up running different lines. You've got to change your driving style each lap - change where you're lifting, how much you're braking, how much you're on the throttle. Some guys from the beginning of a run will race right up against the wall just because that's where their car feels good. It's not so much as the run goes on that you get closer to the wall, it's more dependent on how your car is handling. For instance, my Home Depot Pontiac may start up there, but there might be another guy who starts his run at the bottom of the track."

Darlington II: Dodge Motorsports - Bill Davis Racing
NASCAR-WCS
2002-08-27

WARD BURTON (No. 22 Caterpillar Dodge Intrepid R/T)

NOTE: Burton is the defending champion of the Mountain Dew Southern 500. He also won the 2000 spring race at the 1.366-mile egg-shaped oval. The 2002 Daytona 500 winner, Burton also won this season at New Hampshire in the Bill Davis Racing Dodge. He holds the qualifying record of 173.797 mph at Darlington set March 22, 1996. Burton finished 37th Saturday night at Bristol and ranks 27th in the NASCAR Winston Cup Standings with 12 races remaining on the 2002 schedule.

"I don't know how good I am at Darlington. I've been lucky to have good race cars there. We've been able to capitalize on two of the events, but there's been at least three others where I felt like we had the car to win the race. We've kind of got to avenge ourselves a little bit from the spring race. We got caught in a wreck when the 20 car got into the 44. We were running fifth then. We had just got the car pretty good. We were as good as anybody on the long runs. The first 20-25 laps, we'd get out-sprinted a little bit. We're going there with the same car, and we're going to work really hard to get it turning right so we can hopefully be a threat.

"There's always a lot of sand blowing around at Rockingham and Darlington. The asphalt doesn't stay like regular asphalt for very long. It gets real rocky. A lot of the blacktop between the rocks starts disappearing and that creates a very course condition that the tires wear on. There's no tire you can build that's not going to wear under those conditions. The new tire they've come out with makes it even tougher because the damn thing doesn't want to turn with the way the tire construction is. That's a challenge we have at every track. The reason Darlington is so much more challenging is because we run six inches away from the wall in both corners. You can overshoot a little bit and that's when you get in the wall. Everybody in this garage has had that Darlington stripe, and they're going to have another one before it's over with. Actually both races we won there we had a stripe on both sides of the car. It's all right to get a little stripe. It's not all right to get a big one. Most of the grip is close to the wall, so you're going to nip it a little bit every now and then with the right rear quarter.

"I think you've got to like Darlington. There is a place where I know, and I might not get there and be able to run there in the first 300 miles, and it's hard to sit there and visually see, but when I get in that groove and get my car where it's working, my line changes. Even if it's only a couple of feet in each corner, that couple of feet adds to a lot of mph to me, but I've got to have a car to allow me to do that. I can't go into detail what it is, and it would be hard for me to explain it. I know I'm in the zone when I'm there, and it definitely makes a difference. You gain a ton of time in both corners. You gain a ton of time coming off turn two and you gain a ton of time from the middle of three to the exit of four when I can get my car to do what I need it to do there.

"We haven't varied a whole lot on the setup from race to race. We've varied a little bit. Actually in the 500 last year, I was trying too hard for the pole and we hit the wall and had to rebuild the whole car. We didn't get that car right until the last 75 laps, and it was going that way again last spring. We didn't qualify well and we got in the top 10 and then in the top five and then we got in a wreck. We were just starting to make the kind of adjustments that the car was starting to come around to us.

"It's pretty simple. It's the same as everywhere else. You've got to give and take. You've got to work hard to be there at the end of the race. You run laps and learn. You race the race track and not the competitors and you don't get too involved with a one-lap battle because you've got a 500-mile battle.

"If you've got 20 laps on your tires and somebody behind you doesn't at Darlington, he's got you beat. I don't think there's any way around that. At the same time, a lot of that kind of philosophy is out the window this year. Our car at New Hampshire was better on 60-lap tires than it was on new tires. At Darlington, the way the tires wear out, if a guy is pretty good and he's got four new tires on, it would probably be physically impossible to beat him unless the lapped cars or something got in the way.

"I got pushed high one time in three and four at New Hampshire last time. They had just blown the track and luckily we were able to miss the wall. I know they've been trying to do some things to the New Hampshire track, but to me, the track has always been like that. I think it's been like that since day one. For a short track race, we hit a ton up there. The tragedy that has happened there proves it. I don't think there's any question. I'm not going to sit here and try to bash the race track. I think the Bahres are great people, but they need to work on some areas up there. They've been talking about it for years. We just increased the groove to the apron last time with the new paving. Taking that sealer off like they're doing right now as I understand it, I don't see where that's the answer at all. A lot of people are smarter than I am about that stuff, but no banking and a flat one-mile race track, it's pretty much a dragstrip and then you stop in the middle of the corner. That's the problem.

"We're either battling for the win or we're trying to stay on the lead lap this season. There's no in between. I have not been able to give the proper input about the cars on some of the bigger racetracks. The team has not been able to have a baseline as to where to start at, and that gets us too far off. Short tracks, we can see what we need to do and a lot of times make good adjustments. Tommy Baldwin (crew chief) and I and all the engineers and the chassis guys and the motors guys, it's every one of them. Tommy and I have got to figure out how to get back to a baseline. If we're a 20th-place car, then we need to be a 20th-place car and not turn into a 40th-place car. I think in some areas we need some help to figure it out.

"We've tried a lot of stuff from week to week. A lot of stuff has worked and a lot of stuff hasn't worked. I think we've been pitiful at some places and we've gotten off the baseline. It used to be we could be horrible the first of the race and make adjustments and come back and run in the top five and have a shot at winning. Very rarely can we do that now. I don't have any answers to it right now.

"We just need to find some consistency somewhere. In '99 we were the most consistent we've ever been and we've steadily gone down consistently since then. We know how to win now. We've just got to get back to running consistent now."

BILL DAVIS (Car owner Bill Davis Racing Dodge Intrepid R/Ts)

"Ward has always been good at Darlington. When he first went down there in a Busch car he ran great. I think that's the first place I ever noticed him. I think he goes into Darlington, and instead of being intimidated by it and dreading it, like some people approach road racing, I think Ward goes in there and like 'man this is a tough place and all my heros ran well here. It takes a really great driver to master this place and not be intimidated by it.' I think he's always accepted it as a challenge, and I know Darlington is one place that John Burton, his daddy, always took the boys when they were real young. On Labor Day and maybe the spring race, too, they went to the race. Ward tells stories about camping out there.

He tells the story about camping out down there a lot. I don't know how old Ward was, but they go camp out. They've got a motor home and John says they ought to build a camp fire. He told the boys to go get some wood. Well, old boy scout Ward is ready. He gets his ax and goes out there and finds some pine trees down one of the roads near the track. He goes out there and chops one down. He drags it back to the motorhome and starts chopping it up and splitting it. John asked him where he got it. I don't think they ever got in trouble for it, but they know about it now.

"I expect to have a car capable of winning the race when Ward Burton is driving at Darlington. I think any time we've ever gone there with Ward we've been in position to win the race. We ran at Bristol with Ward first and ran good all night. With about 100 laps to go there was a big wreck and we ran over somebody's bumper. It poked a hole in the oil cooler and ended our night. We went to Darlington the next week and ran in the top five all day. I think we finished fifth in our second race together. I can't remember us ever going to Darlington and running terrible. I think we've always gone and run well.

"I don't know how you can go week to week and be so radically different and so inconsistent. That's one thing we'd kinda got hold of the past few years. That's why we've finished in the top 10 in points. Mechanical deals have been the craziest things because we've never had problems there. It hasn't been car preparation. Stuff hasn't fallen off the car. We've just had goofy stuff break. We're keep breaking drive shafts, crank shafts and transmissions. We were driving off at Richmond in great shape, certainly with a car that could have been in position to win the race. Then we broke a drive shaft. It's been a pretty goofy deal, and I don't have an explanation. I wish I did. I wish there was an easy fix for it. I think we're addressing it and trying to figure it out the best we can.

"I think the Dodge is a great piece. We've certainly got better cars than we've ever had before. We understand them better and know more about them, so I don't think Dodge has anything to do with our problems. This was the year we thought we were going to break out and really do something better. We certainly got off to an unbelievable start, and then when it didn't go like we thought, I think it was that much harder on us confidence wise, everybody playing on the same team and pulling in the same direction. I think the trouble we had in the first three or four races really hit us hard. It's not enough to win a race. That won't turn things around. I wish it would.

"If you look around this garage, it's terrible, but we're not alone. Bobby Labonte is one of the best racers in here with one of the best racing teams. They're just partially better than we are. Childress' deal is not where it's always been. It's an unusual year. Look at all the trailers up there that haven't even been here in the past and they're up front now.

"For us it's not about winning races. We've won two and that's been amazing we've been able to do that. I think if we just get back on track and knock off some top 10s and top fives, that's what we're looking for.

"We're set for next year. Stay tuned for Tuesday night. We're going to have two Cup teams and a Busch team next year. Scott Wimmer is going to run Busch again. They're so close to winning races. He needs to win races and run for that championship. He's done a pretty good job this year, but another year in Busch won't hurt him. We'll do that and a year from now we'll evaluate things and see where we are. We've got to get our two Cup teams where they need to be before we add a third one."

http://www.fordracing.com/news/?article=20...33&flashcheck=1

BURTON HOPES TO RELIVE PAST DARLINGTON GLORY
8/27/2002
THIS WEEK IN FORD RACING

Darlington, S.C. — Jeff Burton, driver of the No. 99 Citgo Taurus, is one of two active Ford drivers to win the Southern 500, joining teammate Mark Martin in that category in 1999. Burton, who is still looking for his first triumph of 2002, spoke about the annual Labor Day weekend event as part of this week’s NASCAR Winston Cup Series teleconference.

JEFF BURTON
YOU WON BOTH RACES IN ’99 SO YOU MUST FEEL YOUR CHANCES ARE PRETTY GOOD. "It depends on what the weather is, I guess. We have certainly run well at Darlington and it’s certainly one of my favorite race tracks. The last three races there we haven’t run like we’re used to running. It’s kind of one of those race tracks that we used to just love going to and now we’re a little nervous about going to because we used to almost be at the point of being dominant. We led a tremendous amount of laps in all the races we were in. We only ended up winning two of them, but we dominated a lot of those races and ended up having pit stops and stuff happened at the end and we didn’t win ’em. It’s a track we’ve always done well at, but, again, it’s been a challenge for us the last three races and we need to get ourselves back to where we used to be."

THE TRACK DOESN’T CHANGE BUT OTHER THINGS DO THAT CAN AFFECT SUCCESS AT DARLINGTON. "I think the biggest thing that’s changed is the tire. Even though the tire falls off on speed, it doesn’t fall off to the extent that it used to fall off. It doesn’t feel as good when it’s new, but it doesn’t feel as bad when it’s old. What our strength used to be at Darlington is we’d always qualify 10th to 15th, right in there, but on a 50-lap run, the 99 car was really fast all the time. We were never real fast to start, but since the new tire we’ve had trouble getting that back. Aerodynamics are so important now and a lot of things are important now. The stuff that used to work doesn’t work anymore and we’ve had a tough time letting go of what has worked for us in the past because we’ve had so much success in trying to figure out what we need to do in the future."

DOVER, RICHMOND AND LOUDON ARE UP NEXT. DO YOU SET GOALS IN ADVANCE? "We go week to week. We obviously plan farther ahead than that, but when Bristol was over we were thinking about Darlington and when Darlington gets over we think about the next race. That’s how we do it. We try not to look too far ahead. If you map a plan out for four or five races ahead, then what happens is you get complacent. ’We’ll take car 82 and car 74 to this race and that race.’ Well, it may be that you’ve built a better car since then or you’ve just ran a car and had a great run with it so you want to run it again. So, we don’t plan too far ahead, but, certainly, when Darlington is over we’ve got our minds on the next race."

IS IT RACING WHEN CARS JUST BUMP OTHER CARS OUT OF THE WAY? "It’s been like that for a long time at Bristol. That’s what Bristol is, like it or not. You live by the sword and you die by the sword. If you’re willing to knock a guy out of the way to win the race, then you have to understand that the next time you’re leading, the guy behind you has the right to knock you out of the way. That’s how it works. You drive people the way they drive you and you also drive people the way they drive other people. If you see a guy that will constantly knock people out of the way, then you have way less respect for him as far as what you can do with him in the race car. Jeff did what he had to do to win the race, but, at some point, that will come back to him and he’ll lose a race somewhere because of what he did at Bristol. I’m not saying he did wrong, I’m just saying that’s the reality of it and you’ve got to understand that whatever you do has consequences to it."

THERE SEEMS TO BE A LOT MORE REACTION ON TRACK AFTER THAT KIND OF THING. IS NASCAR BEST SERVED BY THAT KIND OF EMOTION? "That could start up a great debate. It certainly gets people talking about the sport. Is it the professionalism that we hope to pull off? No, probably not. Does it make for great TV? It certainly does [laughing]. I was in the race and I wanted to get home Sunday to watch the replay of the race so I could see all the interviews. It is what it is. It makes it exciting and it makes it interesting, but some of it is borderline unprofessional for sure. But it’s a high emotion sport. That’s one of the things I said about Tony Stewart when he was having such a hard time there, it’s high emotion. You try hard and when somebody takes away your opportunity to succeed, it makes you mad and everybody reacts to that differently."

HOW DO YOU GET RID OF YOUR EMOTION? "I don’t know. It changes. One day you get over it pretty quick and the next day, for some reason, it makes you so mad you can’t get over it. We had a really fast race car Saturday night and I got in a wreck that was none of my doing. The driver that I thought had caused the wreck, I saw him after the race and I laughed. We talked about it and it was just Bristol. I wasn’t mad about it at all because it was just Bristol. Then, another time, I can get into a wreck with a guy that it makes me so mad I can hardly stand it. So, I think it really depends on the time and all the stuff leading up to the wreck. I try to catch my breath and realize my kids are watching, but it’s hard to do."

DO YOU FEEL DRIVERS ARE GETTING THEIR SHARE OF THE MONEY OUT THERE AND HOW COME NASCAR DOESN’T SEEM TO HAVE THE PROBLEMS BASEBALL DOES? "I’m gonna speak for myself. Roush Racing has treated me fair. They’ve given me raises when they can afford to give me raises and I’ve never had to go to them and ask for more money. When our sponsorship got bigger or we had success, then I saw it in my paycheck as well. So, from a personal standpoint, I’m completely satisfied with the way I’ve been treated from a money standpoint and I have no complaint whatsoever. The NASCAR situation compared to Major League Baseball and the NFL is completely different. We are individually owned. The race teams essentially have no business ties to NASCAR. They operate independently without contract, with the exception of having a contract that says if you’re on the winner’s circle you agree to come to all the races and you get extra money – those kinds of things. But, short of that, we operate independently. So, if I have a problem with the way I’m being treated as a driver, then I have a problem with the guy I work for and not the organization that’s having the races. Generally, when there’s a problem with a car owner and a driver, it’s kept quiet and isn’t out in the public because they don’t want the sponsor to know about it, they don’t want the fans to know about it, they just work it out. We sell our own souvenirs. We’re responsible for our own insurance. We’re responsible for our own retirement plan. We’re responsible for all the expenses incurred and we reap the benefits of all the money made. NASCAR has little bearing on how we run our team and what we’re allowed to do and what we’re not allowed to do from a business standpoint. So when we do have a problem, it’s really not NASCAR’s problem. We could debate whether the teams get the fair share of money from the TV deal. We could debate that for years and I suspect we always will debate it, but, really, you run your company independently from NASCAR, in all honesty. You rely on them to have sponsorships so they can have races and those kind of things, but your team is your team and your relationship with your owner is your relationship with your owner, it’s not NASCAR’s."

AT BRISTOL, THE 31 WAS PENALIZED FOR WHAT HE DID TO THE 48, BUT THE 24 WAS NOT FOR WHAT HE DID TO THE 2. WERE THOSE INCIDENTS DIFFERENT AND SHOULD NASCAR HAVE PENALIZED THEM BOTH THE SAME? "I’m not sure, but I don’t think Rusty Wallace hit anything and I’m pretty sure that the guy Robby Gordon spun out did hit something. So, yeah, I think they’re two totally different things. Robby Gordon had pushed the guy in front of him all the way around the race track for all but two laps under caution and, on top of that, he had all but put me in the wall on the back straightaway coming to get the green before we even got the green. So, I’m sure NASCAR looked at that and said, ’What is this guy doing?’ Then they dropped the green flag and the guy in front of him got spun out and wrecked. I’m pretty sure all those things had a play on it, but, in my opinion, you can’t compare what Jeff Gordon did to Rusty to what Robby Gordon did to the 48 car because the 48 car wrecked and Rusty didn’t."

HOW TOUGH IS TURN 2 AT DARLINGTON? "Turn 2 is certainly an interesting corner because it’s real fast. The entrance to Turn 2, it isn’t like most race tracks where Turn 1and Turn 2 are hooked together and how you do in Turn 1 determines how you do getting off the corner. This race track almost has a little straightaway between Turn 1 and Turn 2, so you’re approaching Turn 2 at a high rate of speed, then you have to make another turn to get off the corner. It’s a very difficult corner, but it’s not as hard as Turn 4. Turn 2 looks exciting and it’s faster in turn two, but, really, the hardest corner at Darlington is Turn 4."

CAN YOU ASSESS THE OVERALL PERFORMANCE OF ROUSH RACING THIS YEAR? "There’s not one thing that we’ve done that’s made our teams better. We have continued to work together with an effort to make all the teams better. There is a tremendous amount of cohesiveness and willingness to work together in the shop. Roush Racing is a nice place to be right now. We’ve got great employees. We’ve got a lot of desire. We’ve got a good group of drivers that all get along. We have everything from a real experienced driver to a guy that has very little experience and it’s just a fun place to be right now. There’s a lot of excitement around Roush Racing and I think that breeds more excitement. I can’t really speak to why the teams are running better other than we have just kept working. Specifically, with the 99 team, we’ve run great since May. I won’t apologize to anybody for how we’ve run since May, but we’ve not gotten the finishes we should have gotten. Since May, I think you could make a case that we’ve been the strongest team at Roush, but our finishes don’t indicate that."

WHAT MAKES DARLINGTON ONE OF YOUR FAVORITE TRACKS? "First of all, I love the history of our sport. I have a lot of respect for what Bobby Allison did and what the generation before him did. What they did made it possible for guys like me to come into this sport and make more money than I should ever make and, on top of that, have so much fun. Darlington, to me, represents all those things. It’s kind of like stepping back in time when you go to Darlington. You go into the offices on the back straightaway and I used to tease Jim Hunter that his office was like a time machine. When you went into his office, you stepped back about 20 years and the whole race track is like that. It doesn’t have the great suites and it doesn’t have all the pretty grass. It doesn’t have all that junk, but what it has is it has a facility that was built a long time ago and it’s put on a lot of great races with all of NASCAR’s great drivers. It’s what racing ought to be. It’s hot, it’s slippery, it’s difficult, it’s what the intent of racing is and I respect all of those things. I have a lot of reverence for it and that’s the biggest reason I like Darlington."

WHY CAN GUYS IN RACING STILL BE SUCCESSFUL IN THEIR MID-40s WHILE GUYS IN OTHER SPORTS CAN’T? "I think there are a lot of reasons. It used to be that your entry into the Winston Cup level was at a later age than it was into the NFL or into the NBA, so the amount of time you can succeed may be close to the same but you started at a later date. Experience matters in this sport. Your reaction time doesn’t slow down the way that your legs slow down when you start reaching 45. There are things that don’t affect you as much compared to a professional basketball player. They talk about Michael Jordan being old and can he do it. Well, he’s not old in our sport because it isn’t about how fast you can run up and down a court, it’s about how well can you drive a car. It’s two totally different things. From a physical standpoint, there’s no reason you can’t drive a car successfully up into the50s. Now, there are things that start happening to you from a psychological standpoint when you start to get older, I think, and you’re not willing to risk it all the way you were perhaps 38 or 40, but there’s no reason from a physical standpoint that you can’t continue to be successful into your 40s."

HOW IMPORTANT IS CONDITIONING AND WHAT DO YOU DO TO STAY IN SHAPE? "I think nutrition and fitness are not something you can mess around with. You’ve got to be prepared when you get to the race track. If you start worrying about being prepared for Darlington on the week of Darlington, you’re about three months too late. I’m certainly no physical specimen of muscle, but I have a lot of endurance. I like to think of myself as kind of like a marathon runner – I’m not real strong and I’m not real big, but I have a tremendous amount of endurance. I think that’s important. The heat doesn’t bother me very much and that’s your biggest enemy. Heat and exposure to g-loads are the two biggest things that drivers have to deal with, so your physical training and physical ability is different than it is with a basketball player or a football player. I’m sure there aren’t many football players that could sit in a car that’s 140 degrees for four hours and be able to concentrate. It’s the type of training you need to do for your sport and that’s what I work real hard at. I try to eat what I need to eat, so I can be good at what it is I do. I try to hydrate myself. I drink a lot of Powerade and a lot of water. During the race I stay hydrated. It’s important to stay hydrated before the race and during the race, but anybody that doesn’t think conditioning is important is behind the times because it’s very important."

CAN YOU CONTRAST WHAT’S EXPECTED AND WHAT’S ALLOWED AT BRISTOL AND THEN A WEEK LATER GOING TO DARLINGTON, WHAT’S ALLOWED THERE? "No one has ever asked me like that, but that’s perhaps the best way to ask. That’s a well thought-out question. You know, Ken Schrader walked down pit road a couple years ago at Bristol and he apologized to everyone before the race for hitting them [laughing]. That’s pretty much the way it is. People do things at Bristol that they don’t do anywhere else and they say, ’Oh, it’s just Bristol.’ What I say is, it’s still a driver’s responsibility. Drivers don’t have to run into each other. When a wreck happens five cars ahead of you and then that accordion effect happens and you get in the back of somebody, that’s Bristol. It’s very hard to pass. You tend to push things a little harder because it’s harder to pass. There’s no room for error, so all those things do make any little mistake that a driver makes have bigger consequences, but I don’t think there’s any doubt about it that driver’s go into Bristol saying, ’I can get by with stuff here that I can’t get by with anywhere else because I can blame it on the race track.’ I don’t think there’s any doubt about it."

DID YOUR EXPERIENCE AT SOUTH BOSTON SPEEDWAY HELP YOU AT ANY CERTAIN TRACK? "I don’t know, that’s an interesting question. I don’t know how racing at South Boston and Orange County helped mold me to make me do some things good and some things not so good. I think the main thing is the competition – not so much where you’re doing it but the competition you’re doing it against. When I was racing there, we had some pretty formidable people that we raced against. If you were gonna beat those guys, you had your work cut out for you. I think the competition is more important than where you’re doing it and I think they taught me a tremendous amount even though they didn’t know they were teaching me. The taught me to lose, they taught me to win, they taught me humility and they taught me a lot of things they didn’t set out to teach. They were just wanting to kick my butt, but when you race and you race against good people, you learn a lot from them and I think that helped me more than anything else."

COMPARE THE DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY AT DARLINGTON WITH OTHER TRACKS. "Bristol is very difficult and Darlington is very difficult. We back up to each other two of the hardest race tracks that we go to all year. The thing about Darlington that I think is misunderstood is that to be successful at Darlington, you have to attack the race track. You can’t be afraid of the race track. Through all of the hype and all the discussion about how difficult it is and how hard it is, you can’t think about it. You’ve got to go and you’ve got to say, ’I’m gonna kick your butt, race track.’ You’ve just got to attack it. You’ve got to not be afraid of it. You’ve got stand in that gas and run hard. It’s one of those things. I heard Darrell Waltrip say on TV that he couldn’t understand how the younger drivers just came here and didn’t respect the place. You have to have respect for it, but you’ve got to attack it. You’ve got to be aggressive and you’ve just got to go after that race track as if it’s any other race track. It’s hard, but if you treat it like it’s hard, you won’t have any success there."

HAVE YOU SEEN A NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE IN JACK ROUSH SINCE THE ACCIDENT? "Jack’s real close to where he was. Certainly, he’s been hurt. Even though he’s tough, he doesn’t want to admit he’s been hurt, so physically he’s not been 100 percent. I think Jack wants to let everybody know he’s OK, so he’s working really, really hard right now to show everybody he’s OK. My relationship with Jack has always been good and I’ve never had a problem in talking to Jack. I’ve always had great luck in spending time with him and explaining things the way I saw it and him explaining things the way he saw it and that hasn’t changed for me. For a while he was different because he was still hurt, but, in all honesty, I think Jack is Jack. That’s why I work for him and I hope he doesn’t change."

WHEN YOU LOOK BACK AT THAT ’97 BATTLE WITH JEFF GORDON. IS THERE ANYTHING YOU WOULD HAVE DONE DIFFERENTLY? "I’ve watched that tape several times because I got so tired of hearing all the fans saying, ’I wish you would have wrecked the 24 car.’ No, I wouldn’t have done anything different, looking back on it at all. I made the decision that I made for a couple of reasons. The first reason was that I don’t think, if I would have driven in the corner with all four wheels on the flat, which I would have had to do, that neither one of us would have made it through the corner. So, that wasn’t in my best interest – to prove a point so go wreck. I don’t have that personality. The other thing is, I truly believed I was gonna pass him anyway. I was so much faster than he was, but I what I didn’t account for was that when I had gotten so low on the race track, I picked up all the debris on the tires. But there was no doubt in my mind that he had blocked me, but when we came off Turn 2 I was just gonna pass him anyway. So I was looking to avoid contact because I had two more chances to get by him and there was no question in my mind I was going by him because we were that much faster. But when I drove into one, I picked up all that debris on the tires and I couldn’t go anywhere. I didn’t factor that in, but, no, I wouldn’t do anything different today than what I did then."

DO THE YOUNGER DRIVERS HAVE A SENSE FOR THE HISTORY OF DARLINGTON OR IS THE SOUTHERN 500 JUST ANOTHER RACE TO THEM? "I don’t know. I hate to group all the young drivers together. I think some of them probably do and some of them probably don’t. There are some older drivers that don’t care it’s the Southern 500. It’s a personal thing. I don’t know that it’s an era thing or a grouping thing, I think it’s a personal thing. To me it’s special, but to other people I know, that I’m real close to, they could care less about it. For them, it’s just another race but I’d hate to put all the young drivers in one big group and say that none of ’em care about it because I don’t believe that. I think some of them would and some of them wouldn’t."

GETTING BACK TO JACK. HAVE YOU NOTICED ANY CHANGE IN THE DAY-TO-DAY JACK? "With no disrespect, I don’t like discussing personalities. I think Jack, certainly, has to look at things differently than he did before this. There’s no way you go through a situation that he went through, which is really unusual, and not wake up in the morning with a different attitude. There’s no way in the world you don’t do that. I prefer not to get into the conversation about how I see he’s different and how I don’t see he’s different because I just don’t know if that’s appropriate, but there’s just no way you can go through an incident like that without it having a major impact on your life and it has had a major impact on Jack’s life, there’s no doubt about it."

WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO PREPARE FOR RICHMOND? "We went up there and tested the Busch car in the spring, even though we didn’t race in the spring we’re gonna race it in the fall. We thought we had a great test with the Busch car and we’re racing the Busch car at this race. The main thing we’re doing is we’re looking at our notes from what we did in the spring to try and apply that in the fall. We ran very well there in the spring. We had a great chance to win and I cut a tire and ended up getting in a wreck and still came back and finished third. We were really happy with our effort in the spring and we’ll have the Busch car up there and try some stuff on it Thursday afternoon and Friday and, hopefully, we can use that stuff on the Winston Cup car, but we don’t have a test there even though we did test there in the spring."

WHAT ABOUT TRACK SETUP FOR RICHMOND? "The track did a lot of different things this last race there. The top groove never came in. The track had a tremendous amount of grip, but when you got out of the groove, you didn’t have any grip so that changed the way you set your car up. If the track does the same thing again, it will surprise me. I think the track will open up and get the high groove working again, so that will change your setup. But if it doesn’t do that, then the setups that you ran there in the spring will work again in the fall."

FRANK STODDARD –99– CITGO TAURUS
YOU’RE PRETTY PASSIONATE ON PIT ROAD. WHAT WAS IT LIKE AT BRISTOL? "You go through a lot at Bristol. We worked ourselves up into the Top 5 and thought we had a good car and the next thing you know, you’re in an accident that we couldn’t do much about. Then you’re frantically trying to stay on the lead lap and try to salvage what you can of a finish, so it’s a range of emotions."

CAN YOU TALK ABOUT PREPARING A CAR FOR DARLINGTON? "The biggest thing you fight at Darlington is that the tire wear is generally real excessive, so to try to get a car to stay real consistent throughout a run is very difficult. You shock package and your spring package is something you really have to work on a great deal, and then one of the other elements of Darlington that you really have to put an emphasis on is making sure that your radiator doesn’t get plugged up with all the rubber that gets chewed off the tires, so to speak. You run a little bit different grille screen than you might run at other race tracks and you take and make sure you clean your radiator a little bit after practice, which you normally wouldn’t have to do at other race tracks. That’s probably the biggest factor that’s different from other race tracks is watching over the radiator at Darlington."

HAS IT BEEN FRUSTRATING TO DIAL IN THIS TIRE AT DARLINGTON? "It’s made it real difficult. All of the setups we used to use, I mean, if you pulled out something you ran three years ago and showed somebody, you’d just absolutely laugh at it. It’s not even close to what anybody runs today. People that haven’t been in this sport for the last two or three years, if I went up to a guy like Tim Brewer, who was a winner forever, and showed him what we run today, he’d be like, ’There’s no way you’re running that.’ He wouldn’t believe you. So it’s been a huge change of pace and it’s been very difficult to adapt to in a lot of areas."

YOU HAVE WON TWO STRAIGHT AT PHOENIX. WHAT IS IT ABOUT THAT TRACK? "I don’t know. For whatever reason, that track is a little bit like Loudon. We’ve always run fairly well at Loudon and have always run well at Phoenix. Even though we’ve won the last two races out there, looking back at it throughout all my notes, we’ve had a car good enough to win probably five out of the last five races out there. We’ve always run well out there, but haven’t got the finishes to show for it. It’s a track that Jeff really loves because there’s nothing special that I do, other than put the setup in the car that he feels good about. When they drop the green, he just seems to find his way to the front."

IT SEEMS THAT TRACK HAS A LOT OF OBSTACLES. "I think one of the things about that race track is that the two ends of the race track are so different. It takes a really nice, smooth driving style. I think there are a lot of ways you can get in and out of the corners, but when you find that absolute perfect spot to get in and out of the corners that is real fast, then being able to duplicate that time after time, lap after lap, probably makes a big difference. I think Jeff is able to do that. He’s as smooth as anybody that I know and watch and I think once he finds the line, he’s able to run within two inches of that line for 50 to 100 to 250 – whatever it is – consecutive laps and that’s probably a big part of it as well."

DO YOU HAVE ANY UPDATE ON THE NEW RESTRICTOR PLATE RULES? "Not really. I talked to John Darby a little bit after they went to Daytona a few weeks ago. The last thing they were working on and started to see a little progress on, I guess they didn’t get to run because it rained so they’re getting ready to go back pretty soon. They’re gonna go to either Talladega or Daytona again and try to simulate what they wanted to do the first time and didn’t get to finish. I think they’re certainly looking at some things. Obviously, we’ve got the fuel cell deal we’re gonna be debuting at Talladega this time. That ought to be some of indication of how that works will carry over to the Daytona 500, I guess."

WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE INVOLVED IN SOMETHING LIKE THAT? "The last deal they had, Gary Nelson actually asked me to go. We had originally planned to go to Bristol and test around that time, so we weren’t gonna be able to do that one. It is something we like to do. At the same time, it gets to be frustrating because when you get all the manufacturers together, everybody has their own idea and every manufacturer is out to get the rules to best suit themselves, so I have no fun in that."

SO IT DOESN’T MATTER IF YOU PARTICIPATE OR NOT? "If something is gonna be really worthwhile out of the event, then, certainly, I always want to be there to participate in it."

http://www.fordracing.com/news/?article=20...32&flashcheck=1

SADLER PREPARES FOR TOUGH, HISTORIC TRACK
8/27/2002

POSTCARDS FROM THE ROAD

Darlington, S.C. — Elliott Sadler, driver of the No. 21 Motorcraft Taurus, has a strong sense of history regarding stock-car racing. One of the tracks he visited as a young fan was Darlington Raceway, site of this weekend’s Mountain Dew Southern 500. Darlington hosted its first NASCAR race on Sept. 4, 1950, and Sadler says he is looking forward to returning to the historic egg-shaped 1.366-mile oval. Sadler qualified sixth and finished second at Darlington in the fifth race of this season, and started sixth there in the spring of 2000 and the fall of 1999.

ELLIOTT SADLER
“I think a lot of us that grow up around Darlington Raceway enjoy going to that race track. We know what it means. I’ve been in the stands many times watching the Southern 500, so to go there and race this race is very important to us. We want to do well there – and it’s one of my better tracks. It’s a driver’s race track. It’s very slick. You really gotta manhandle your stuff all day. I really enjoy going there, and I’m looking forward to a good weekend there.”

BECAUSE THE TRACK IS EGG-SHAPED, DO YOU TRY TO SET UP THE CAR FOR ONE END, OR DO YOU TRY TO SPLIT THE DIFFERENCE? “You try to split the difference and find a happy medium – which is hard. It’s very demanding on the crew chief, but Pat [Tryson, crew chief] has been doing a great job there the last few years making sure we do get a happy medium. We’re going back with the same car we finished second there with in the spring, so we have high hopes and high expectations, and hopefully with a little bit of luck we’ll have a good weekend.”

IN ADDITION TO THE DIFFERENT CORNERS, THE TRACK SEEMS VERY NARROW… “It is. It’s very narrow. I think that’s one of the most narrow race tracks that we race on, and it’s hard to race there, but that’s why we like it.”

http://www.nascar.com/2002/news/headlines/...gton/index.html

Jarrett craves success in Southern 500
By Dave Rodman, Turner Sports Interactive August 27, 2002
2:22 PM EDT (1822 GMT)

DARLINGTON, S.C. -- Given Dale Jarrett's record at Darlington Raceway, it's a surprise that he hasn't won a Southern 500 at the legendary 1.366-mile oval.

Jarrett has a stout eight top-five finishes, including three victories, in his last 11 races at the track tabbed as "Too Tough To Tame." They include his best Southern 500 efforts in 15 starts -- third place finishes in 1997 and 1998.

But everything he has accomplished in his career, including three Daytona 500 wins and the 1999 NASCAR Winston Cup championship, would get nearly equal billing if he can win the 53rd annual Southern 500 on Sunday.

"It would be the ultimate to me to be able to win the Southern 500 and to have that victory on my resume before I call it quits," Jarrett said. "I've won big races, but I haven't won that race."

Since Jarrett won the Winston Cup Series' last superspeedway race, at Michigan International Speedway, he comes to South Carolina with high hopes and the same car with which he scored both the win at MIS and his other victory this season, at Pocono Raceway.

"We sometimes get accused of not making real smart moves when it comes to taking cars to the track," Jarrett said. "But we know what a good thing we have with this car. It is a very good race car and it runs well everywhere we've raced it this year, so we are taking the Michigan car."

Jarrett hopes his effective piece will enable him to ease one of his biggest career disappointments, which came at Darlington in 1996. Jarrett had previously won the Daytona 500 and Coca-Cola 600 and had a chance at series' sponsor Winston's "Winston Million" bonus of $1 million if he won the Southern 500.

But Jarrett hit the wall in Turn 1 on the tricky egg-shaped track, and that ended his chance at the victory in a race won by Jeff Gordon, who was in the midst of a four-straight skein of capturing the Southern 500.

Jarrett said the stifling late summer temperatures and humidity that Darlington is known to only magnify the treacherous nature of the track.

"I think the biggest thing for me when it comes to Darlington is the challenge it presents," Jarrett said. "It's so totally different. Each end of the track is so different and you have to drive both ends totally different.

"It's a difficult task to negotiate Darlington for 500 miles for a number of reasons. First the track is difficult and it's still mid-summer this time of the year there and you can expect it to be 150 degrees in the race car."

But for Jarrett, a Darlington victory would allow him to equal the mark established by his father, two-time Winston Cup champion Ned Jarrett, who won the 1965 Southern 500 by a whopping 14 laps.

"I can remember back to that day in 1965 when my dad won the Southern 500," Dale said. "It was one of the top races. When I was a kid I listed to people like my dad, Richard Petty, Cale Yarborough and David Pearson talk about winning that race -- so I always knew from an early age that it was something I wanted to win."

http://www.morningnewsonline.com/MGBAE9Y5F5D.html

Aug 28, 2002

Mayfield: Darlington best shot for a win
By WADE BAKER
Morning News

DARLINGTON -- Last year at this time, things weren't exactly going the way Jeremy Mayfield envisioned.

Sure, he was part of a race team -- consisting of former Winston Cup champion Rusty Wallace -- but it wasn't the combination Mayfield was looking for.

The problems only intensified throughout the season and before Mayfield knew it, after the inaugural race at Kansas Speedway, he parted ways with the No. 12 team.

"I came from a team where it was two teams," said the 33-year-old Mayfield at Darlington recently. "It was 100 percent two teams. You know what I mean, it wasn't one. I don't think there was anything wrong with the way the other two teams were, it was just we had two separate teams.

"One was down the street from the other."

So, with seven races remaining in the season, Mayfield elected not to car hop, like some drivers do. He just walked away from the sport for an extended vacation. He could have easily picked up rides from week to week, but he knew that wasn't the type of driver he wanted to be.

Instead, he concentrated on the future.

When Sundays came, he watched the race on the television just like other fans of Winston Cup. But, when the race was over it was back to work -- trying to find another race team for the 2002 season.

His problem was short-lived when car owner Ray Evernham made his pitch to Mayfield, where he would take over Casey Atwood's ride in the No. 19 Dodge -- with Atwood moving to another car in Evernham's stable.

"It was very tough," said Mayfield. "It wasn't very tough during the week, but Sundays were really tough. What helped me get through it was Ray and I had already been talking and looking at which direction we were going in.

"I wanted to race bad, to get back out there and run. We also decided, what good was that going to do me. I'm not the type that can car hop from week to week."

When you see Mayfield hanging around the garage with a huge smile on his face don't think he's unconcerned with the race at hand that weekend. It's just finally, in a long time, he's found a team he's at ease with.

That wasn't the case with his former teammate and team of a year ago, with the constant problems always being aired into the public like clockwork.

This year, it's about having fun.

That's why you see Mayfield appearing in a humorous commercial having a woman getting into his car, trying to impress him by wearing an "Octane '93" fragrance.

"I'm having fun, I think everyone on the team is," said Mayfield. "You can look at me around the track and tell that. You can even see it in the commercials we are doing now. Sitting out the end of last year, watching races on television, I think has really made me a better person."

While Mayfield has struggled during the first half of the season, he's been paired with a teammate that's done more than revamp his career this season —— Bill Elliott.

Elliott has won two races this year, the biggest being a Brickyard 400 win in July, and is in the top-10 in points.

Mayfield has just two top-fives, while going winless and finding himself 28th in points. Not what he was looking for —— a driver with three-career Winston Cup wins —— but not totally a bad sign for the first-year Dodge driver.

"All we want is the same thing, to win," he said. "That's what we work all week to do, to get that win. As the year goes on you're going to see us get better and better."

And the best way for Mayfield to turn the freshman campaign around is by winning Sunday's 53rd running of the Mountain Dew Southern 500. In 16 career races at Darlington he's had five top-fives.

"I think Darlington is definitely our best shot at a win, in the upcoming races on the schedule," Mayfield said. "I want to win here, I really do. That would be huge —— to win the Southern 500 for Ray in our first year."

http://www.dalejr.com/story.asp

8/27/2002
Race Preview: Darlington
Jade Gurss

Dale Jr. Quotes

"The momentum is back on our side, and we’re really working well as a team right now. I think we all have stepped up and it’s paying off. Two good runs in a row is something we haven’t had since early in the season. With the way Tony Jr. (Eury, car chief) and the guys are working, it should stay that way the rest of the season. The points have gotten away from us for this year, but we’re going to end strong and work toward living up to the championship expectations in 2003...

"I used to dread going to Darlington - the people at the track even gave me a trophy for saying the surface is full of nothing but shells and garbage (it still is, by the way) -- but we have really concentrated on making the car b

I love Junior's words about tires losing grip just by rolling them across pit lane.

Believe me, if you haven't rubbed your hand across the track surface, don't! Been there, done that, got cuts to prove it. It really is like a cheese grater.

Abooja,

I love your driver comment posts but why is Jeffro never in any of them?

Baboo;)

Sorry, B.C. Not doing it on purpose, but I couldn't find any Darlington quotes from Jeff Gordon for this year. I'll keep looking, though... :uhmnotsur

Don't spend spend any extra time looking for them. I just noticed that I've never seen anything from him since you started doing this. I'm just being greedy.:D

Maybe pbunch needs a
aktion070.gif
and a
aktion075.gif
and possibly a
waffen105.gif
lachen016.gif

Ouch.....TRL's treatment is much worse than anything I thought of.:( :p

That did it TRL,I got a big jar of termites that just love chewing on privacy fence,And one of em is gonna have a broken down week wacker on his back.Whats that address?:p :growl: :p

Well, I found this for you, B.C.: :eek:

http://www.gordonline.com/

Driving In To Darlington County

DARLINGTON, S.C. (August 27)- - After recording his first victory of the season in dramatic fashion at Bristol, Jeff Gordon heads to Darlington Raceway for Sunday's Southern 500. Gordon trails Sterling Marlin by 111 points in the quest for his fifth Winston Cup title. "I'm looking forward to going to Darlington," Gordon said. "We were good at Darlington the last time we were there. I'm excited about getting back there." Gordon has led the most laps in the past two Darlington races finishing second in last year's Southern 500 and ninth in the spring race. Gordon seemed to have the race in hand earlier this year but received right front fender damage when he clipped the wrecked car of Tony Stewart. "I'm not saying that now suddenly we're just going to run away with (the title)," Gordon said. "We still got a lot of hard work left ahead of us. I think (the Bristol win) was just such a great step in the right direction. It's going to do so much for the team morale. And sometimes the whole morale and attitude can take you up several notches performance-wise. I know it's going to do a lot for my confidence." Track position at Darlington is always a key factor in the outcome-- and that starts with qualifying. Gordon's average starting position in the past eight Darlington races is 3.2, including five starts on the front row. "Darlington's a place that we qualify well at," Gordon said. "I think we can overcome some of the aerodynamic things that we've been dealing with if we qualify well there. We're going to be working real hard on Friday to get a good starting position, not that we're not working hard everywhere." Gordon won the Southern 500 four consecutive times from 1995-1998. The September 1998 victory is the most recent of his five career wins at the track.

Career Stats At Darlington
Starts: 19
Wins: 5
Top 5: 10
Top 10: 13
Poles: 4

Darlington Breakdown
Average Start 6.1
Average Finish 10.7
Victories - 5 September 1998
August 1997
September 1996
March 1996
September 1995

I was just wondering what it took to get Ward to talk that much, and if they had an English/Redneck interpreter for his comments.

I try, pbunch. ;)

TWF: Perhaps Jeff acted as his interpretor? Seriously, though, I thought the Burton Boys' comments were the most enlightening. They should put on quite a show on Sunday.

Speaking of which, how about a show on Speed Channel called The Burton Boys?! You know, kinda like The Beltway Boys on FoxNews? Those two (the Burtons, not the Beltway Boys) are funny as hell to listen to and watch, plus they have a lot of information to contribute. I should write a treatment and shoot it on over right now!... :p

Here are still more driver opinions:

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/3956510.htm

Way to win at Darlington? Practice
By PETE IACOBELLI
The Associated Press

DARLINGTON, S.C. - It's a fact of life in Winston Cup: If you want success at Darlington Raceway, you practice, practice, practice.
"It only comes with time," said Kurt Busch, among several racers turning laps last week on NASCAR's oldest superspeedway to prepare for Sunday's Southern 500.

A year ago, Busch became the first rookie since the late Davey Allison in 1987 to win a Darlington pole. But like so many young 'uns at "The Track Too Tough To Tame," he scraped the wall in turn four on race day and was not a factor.

Busch feels the more seat time, the better his chances of joining current Darlington masters such as Jeff Gordon, Bill Elliott, and the Burton brothers of Ward and Jeff.

Busch says the 53-year-old track reminds him of his younger days growing up running at 3-8s of a mile Las Vegas Speedway.

There, you had to right up against the wall to stay in the high groove - the same as Darlington.

"This is a fun race track, and there are not a lot of them out there you can say that about," Busch said.

And Busch wasn't the only one trying to grab an edge for Sunday.

His teammate at Roush Racing, Matt Kenseth, also spent a couple of days working on his Darlington technique and liked how he felt. "I'm pretty comfortable here. This has always been one of our better tracks," Kenseth said. "We've haven't ran as good the last couple of times and that's why we wanted to come and make ourselves better."

It's a lesson that's not lost on veterans.

Terry Labonte will suit up for his 25th Southern 500 this weekend. He has typically run well at Darlington, but his only victory there came in 1980. That's why he was back with his crew last week.

"You've got to get experience here if you want to succeed, particularly these days," Labonte said.

Jeremy Mayfield has come as close as you can to taming Darlington without actually taking the checkered flag. Mayfield, tutored here in 1994 by five-time Darlington winner Cale Yarborough, had five top-5 finishes in the past nine Darlington races.

"There's a lot of reasons why we needed to come here," said Mayfield, running a Dodge for Ray Evernham. "It's a good race track for me and we need to do this to win races."

To some, Darlington is a dilapidated relic with its rough, gravelly surface and misshapen corners that give it its famous egg shape. To the drivers, though, it's a link to history and greats such as Yarborough, David Pearson and the late Dale Earnhardt. You don't get that at Texas Motor Speedway and Chicagoland.

"Whether you have had a lot of success at Darlington or not, its hard to ignore the tradition and heritage of the place," said Busch Grand National driver Stanton Barrett, who also tested here two days last week. "They might have redone some grandstands and moved the start-finish line, built a new garage and all of that, but its still the same place David Pearson and Junior Johnson and Darrell Waltrip raced."

The tamers of Darlington are a short list, track president Andrew Gurtis said. To add your name, "you've got to win here. It's that simple," he said.

The most recent crop of acknowledged masters - none of who came out for practice the past two weeks: Jeff Gordon, who won four straight Southern 500s from 1995-98; a hot Elliott, who has won five times at Darlington; and the Burton boys, who have won four of the past seven races run here.

Terry Labonte, whose brother Bobby also has won the Southern 500, says you can never rest easy at Darlington no matter your experience. A year ago, the elder Labonte was running strong when he crashed into the wall and bent his Chevy's rear-end housing. "It ruined the rest of our day," he said.

"If you can run 500 miles here and not hit the wall," he said, smiling, "you might have a good finish."

Particularly if you get in a little practice.

Ooh, found some more! :D

http://www.johnnybenson-fanclub.com/2002pr...pr/082702.shtml

Valvoline Darlington Preview
#10 Valvoline Pontiac driver Johnny Benson says Darlington is one of the biggest challenges a driver faces all season. The “Track Too Tough To Tame” can really be too tough to tame sometimes. Benson and his Crew Chief James Ince have enjoyed a degree of success at the 1.5-mile egg-shaped oval, but neither has reached their goal of visiting victory lane at Nascar’s oldest track. Both hope that will change this weekend. Benson finished eighth at Michigan and 12th at Bristol in the last two weeks.

Johnny Benson On First Darlington Experience:
“Yeah, I remember my first time at Darlington. It was in a Busch car with Bace Motorsports. I went out and started making laps and all of a sudden my crew chief at the time Steve Bird came over the radio and was yelling “get off the track right now.” He was mad. I didn’t know what was wrong. When I got back to the pits I asked one of our guys if we were slow he said we were at the top of the sheet. So I couldn’t figure out what was wrong. I finally saw Birdie and asked him what in the world could be wrong? He looked at me and said, “you are way too fast and if you keep driving that line you’ll crash the car.” I’d never been yelled at by a crew chief for being too fast.

“But looking back on it Birdie was right. You will see guys go out in practice or qualifying and be really fast them bam they are in the wall and come back with a wrecked race car wondering what happened. That’s Darlington.”

Benson On Darlington:
“I think Darlington is a place that once you figure out the qualifying setup and race setup you can get around pretty good. We feel comfortable with our qualifying setup. We have raced well there. Darlington is NASCAR and full of history. Except moving the finish line that track hasn’t changed much since they started racing there. Yes, it would be pretty cool to be part of the history if we could get our first win there.”

Benson On Season So Far:
“We are starting to have fun again. We have had two decent races in the last two weeks. I’m certainly feeling better. We are starting to get our rhythm back. We learned a lot at Bristol and we think we can continue that at Darlington. We still have a lot of time left in this season to do some good things. Darlington is one of the toughest on the circuit but its one that is a little more special than most other races because of all the history at that place.”

Benson On Goodyear Tires At Darlington
“It will be the same old Darlington. I think this race will be just like the race in the Spring. I know we keep talking about it, but the new tires that Goodyear has come out with should make it a better race. I think the difference between Darlington and other places where this tire is used is that at Darlington you are still going to come into the pits whenever a yellow comes out. You might not do that at other places where this compound was raced.”

Crew Chief James Ince On Darlington
“We ran second at Darlington with Ted Musgrave in 1997 when he and Dale (Jarrett) were rubbing on the last lap for the win. Believe me I think about that race a lot and nothing would be better than getting a little bit of vengeance this weekend. I know Darlington is one of Johnny Benson’s favorite tracks. Darlington is all about springs and shocks and getting the right setup underneath the racecar. As a crew chief you can have a lot of impact. That’s why I like it.”

Benson Record at Darlington

Year/Race Start Finish

First 2002 24 33

Second 2001 17 14

First 2001 4 7

Second 2000 2 38

First 2000 29 24

Second 1999 20 32

First 1999 2 18

Second 1998 11 21

First 1998 21 8

Second 1997 18 19

First 1997 36 10

Second 1996 27 11

First 1996 38 24

http://www.joegibbsracing.com/season_2002/...26_bl_pre.shtml

Labonte Looks Forward to the Rough Ride at Darlington

HUNTERSVILLE, N.C., (August 27, 2002) - The way Bobby Labonte sees it, the rougher the surface of the racetrack, the better he seems to do. As a driver that loves to get up on the wheel and work his tail off under long green-flag runs, Labonte sees Darlington Raceway as an ideal place to work some magic. And while Darlington's track surface may not be as old as the facility itself, Labonte, the winner of the 2000 Mountain Dew Southern 500 says at times it sure can feel like it.

"Darlington is awesome when it comes to racing," explained Labonte. "It may not be one of the newest facilities on circuit, but the history that place has and the type of racing you see is just great. Some of these younger drivers may not like it too much as the surface is very worn out, but I like it when the tires wear out and we're sliding all over the place."

"I feel like I have more input in terms of how well we run when the conditions are like that," continued Labonte. "There is nothing mechanical or that an engineer can do for us to smooth out the surface of the track, so it's up to me to drive it as hard as I can and find a line that will work around there. The thing about Darlington is that you can try and drive every lap perfect, but sooner or later you're going to touch the wall and get a one of those stripes on the car. Its just part of racing there."

Labonte has to feel even better about coming into Darlington this weekend after recording his first top-10 finish in a span of 15 races. Which by the way was the longest Labonte had gone in his NASCAR Winston Cup career without a top-10 finish since his 1994 season with owner Bill Davis which at the time was 14 races. And while Labonte actually finished ninth, he ran with the leaders for a majority of the night.

"We really needed that, heck I really needed that," said Labonte. "We had a good run and were in the top-three most of the night. We had a little problem on one of the restarts and got some damage, but were able to come back from that and still have a top-10 finish. We have actually been a little more competitive over the five or six weeks. Little by little things are starting to turn the corner and I am pleased with that. We're not quite back on top of our entire game yet, but we have made some huge gains recently."

Another reason Labonte has to be excited is that the team will bringing the same car they recently raced in Michigan to a 13th place finish. While the finish does not sound too exciting, for Labonte it was the first time in quite a while that the team unloaded fast on Friday morning in practice and qualified and raced well throughout the weekend.

"We made some small changes to some of our cars based on some recent testing we have done," Labonte said. "We ran really well with this particular car in Michigan though the finish there does not really show that. I was able to feel the changes we made to the car a lot better and was able to communicate to Jimmy (Makar) what the car needed. At Darlington that will be critical and that is one of the reasons we are bringing this car back this weekend. Hopefully it will pay off."

"We had a good run going there in March until we got caught up in someone else's accident," Labonte added. "We feel as though what we have learned testing recently and the runs we have had lately could be a key for us to having a good run this weekend. I really like racing at Darlington. I have won this race before, but I would love to run the full distance and win the race out on the track with no help from Mother Nature." (note - Labonte won the 2000 Southern 500 which was stopped on lap 328 out of a possible 367 due to rain)

http://www.mmsmotorsports.com/article.asp?artnum=14780

Schrader Enjoys Darlington Challenge

HACKETTSTOWN, N.J. - Maybe it’s the ominous nicknames like ‘the track too tough to tame’ or ‘the lady in black.’ Perhaps it’s the infamous Darlington stripe. Or maybe it’s just the challenge of wheeling around the unusually shaped South Carolina track.

Whatever it is, it’s a challenge that “M&M’s”® Racing Team driver Ken Schrader loves and anxiously awaits each season.

“Darlington is a tricky little track, but it is a lot of fun to get around,” Schrader said. “I always say that it is a fun place to go because it is such a challenge.”

Part of the challenge lies in the track’s configuration, Schrader said. The 1.366-mile egg-shaped facility has become infamous around the NASCAR circuit because of its drastically different turns. One end has narrow, one-lane turns – the other end is wide and sweeping. Because of the wide-ranging differences, it’s next to impossible to set the car up for both ends.

The track has also become notoriously hard on tires because of its sandy almost rocky surface.

“It’s rough on tires, and it’s so narrow that it’s really just kind of a screwed up little race track. It has an excuse though,” Schrader said. “It was built in the 1940s.

“You kind of just slide all over the place there. I guess the challenge that Darlington presents to the crews is why they say it’s in the hands of the driver at Darlington.”

The 18-year veteran seems to have a firm grasp on ‘the track too tough to tame.’ In his 35 starts at Darlington, Schrader has captured three poles and 22 finishes in the top 15. Thirteen of those finishes have been top-10s, including a 10th-place run in last year’s Southern 500.

Schrader started last fall’s Southern 500 in eighth place. The No. 36 was solidly in the top 10 all day. Near the midpoint of the race, Schrader’s No. 36 “M&M’s”® car took the point for several laps before he relinquished the lead to pit. Schrader finished the race in 10th place.

The “M&M’s”® Racing Team is hoping to recapture some of last year’s magic this weekend in Darlington.

“Last year, we made one change to the little “M&M’s”® car early in the race, and it took off like a rocket ship,” Schrader said. “It was a pretty unbelievable run we had going. We’d really like to have the “M&M’s”® car running up front again this time around.

“The Southern 500 is one of those races that has so much history and legend surrounding it that it was pretty cool to have such a good run and to even lead the field for a couple of laps. ”

Schrader: 'Darlington Tricky, But Fun'

Schrader’s Thoughts On Darlington Raceway…
“Darlington is always fun to go to because it is so much of a challenge. The track is narrow and it is so hard on tires, that you kind of just slide all over the place. It’s tricky for the drivers and crews. Darlington is really just a racer’s race track, and I think that’s what makes it so much fun. ”

“M&M’s”® Racing At Darlington Raceway…
Ken Schrader and the “M&M’s”® Racing Team are hoping to recapture some of the magic that the No. 36 team had in last fall’s Southern 500. Schrader’s performance in last fall’s Darlington race had the fans standing on their feet. The team started eighth and near the mid-point of the race, Schrader took the point for several laps before relinquishing the lead and finishing 10th. Schrader will pilot the same No. 36 machine this weekend at Darlington.

http://www.rcrracing.com/news/020826-1.asp

NOTES:
* This Week's Race Car (chassis No. 89) was last run in the June event in Michigan. Gordon finished 33rd. *

ROBBY GORDON QUOTES:
"Darlington is tough, definitely the toughest track we race on all year. Nothing you learn at any other track really helps you at Darlington. One of the reasons it's so hard to race on is that the preferred line is so different than any other track we race on. The best groove is up against the wall -- not the most comfortable place to be. We run against the wall the whole time and don't use the bottom groove much. The sweet spot on the track is right against the wall, especially in turns one and two. Even during qualifying, we'll keep the Cingular Wireless Chevrolet right up against the wall -- about two or three feet from it. It is a very narrow track so it's hard to stay that close to the wall without brushing it. Who has actually come out of there without a 'Darlington stripe?' The guys on the Cingular Wireless team and I were joking about putting some wood between the rollbars and the sheet metal so I can lean on the wall at Darlington and not cave in the right side of the car. Just take a look at the wall at the end of practice one day and you'll see how difficult it is to stay off the wall at Darlington.

"Running well at Darlington takes a lot of patience. I've really worked hard this season on learning patience for places like Darlington. If you're not patient, you'll end up with the right side of your car smashed in or your tires bald in a couple of laps. Darlington is murder on those Goodyear tires. Rockingham is the only track close to Darlington in this department and both tracks can kill a new set of tires in a couple of laps. We'll try to conserve the tires all day because they get gobbled up fast. Within just a couple of laps of putting on new tires, you can feel the tires losing their grip. When that happens, they start spinning on the straightaway. It's the wildest thing. It's amazing how smooth you have to be with the throttle to help you get hold of the race track and not spin the tires.

"A lot of drivers talk about wanting to win Darlington because it's such a storied, historical race track. I'd like to win at Darlington just to prove to everyone that I do have the patience to survive there. They don't call it the 'Lady in Black' for nothing. Darlington is a narrow, rough, old and used-up race track. Only the tough survive in this sport and Darlington is a tough track. It's pretty nerve-wracking to run 500 miles at Darlington. One lap takes enough concentration, let alone 367 of them.

"NASCAR has given the Chevrolets the same front air dam kick-out at Darlington that they gave us at Michigan. I don't know if it helped us a whole lot at Michigan or not. I know that we struggled with the same things in the race that we have struggled with before. When you look at where the Chevrolets finished the race at Michigan, it doesn't look like the kick-out helped all that much. We all qualified well but didn't race as well as we qualified. I think part of that is that the new rules change affected the balance of the car. The Cingular team tested at Michigan two weeks before the race and we were really good in the test. But then we kicked out the nose and we weren't that good in race trim. I think we got messed up because we had to focus on making the car respond to the rules change instead of just improving on what we had before. I'm glad that NASCAR has given us that change again but I just wish there was a way for them to take away from the Fords and Dodges instead of making the Chevrolets and Pontiacs make a change. The Fords and Dodges just get to keep working on what they already have and already know, whereas we have to figure out how to make our car respond to the new change.

"The chemistry on the Cingular team has certainly picked up. Kevin Hamlin and the guys are hungry and want to get to the front. We didn't finish where we wanted to at Michigan and Bristol but that wasn't because we didn't have a strong car. We finished where we did because of bad circumstances. We have been fortunate enough to have no engine failures, no part failures this season. The guys do an awesome job of putting competitive, reliable equipment underneath me every week and we just need to get back to where we're capitalizing on that weekly."

http://www.jasperengines.com/race/prerace.htm

No quotes here, but...

JASPER MOTORSPORTS PREVIEW:

Dave Blaney and the #77 Jasper Engines & Transmissions Team faced long odds in their first start together at Darlington in March, being forced to the back of the field after a post-practice engine change negated their 25th-place qualifying effort. Blaney made steady progress through the field until a mid-race caution just after a green-flag pit-stop caught the #77 Jasper Ford a lap down to the leaders.

A multi-car backstretch melee brought out the fifth and final caution of the spring race on Lap 227 and collected Blaney, as well as 10 other cars, and precipitated a 17-lap stay in the garage for repairs. He finished 30th, 18 laps down to race-winner Sterling Marlin.

In the 2001 Souther 500, Robert Pressley qualified the #77 Jasper Ford in 16th, but suffered a hard frontstretch crash on in the final 20 miles, and finished 38th. Blaney, who started 14th in the #93 BDR Dodge, was a contender throughout the race, but limped home 19th after his daring four-wide frontstretch pass on the race’s final lap contributed to a huge Turn 1 crash involving several of the top-ten cars, including Dale Earnhardt, Jr. and Sterling Marlin.

http://www.williamscompany.com/japr0926.htm

John Andretti
SOUTHERN 500
Record Club and White Jacket

Winning poles is one of the most satisfying feelings in Winston Cup racing, but winning the Southern 500 pole at the famed 1.366-mile Darlington (S.C.) Raceway puts you in elite company- the Union 76-Darlington Record Club. John Andretti and the #43 Cheerios/Betty Crocker Dodge team will be looking for the pole this weekend, and with last year’s fastest time posted by any Dodge, the team has high hopes.

Andretti is one of the most successful qualifiers at Darlington. Andretti’s first career pole came at this race in 1995 earning him a spot in the Union 76-Darlington Record Club. He broke the track record that year, giving him the right to own a prestigious White Jacket, given only to those who break the track record while qualifying for the Southern 500 (all other members receive a Blue Jacket). Each year, new members are inducted into the club by virtue of having the fastest qualifying speed the previous year in their respective car make. Andretti will be a two-time inductee this weekend (in two different car makes) after posting the best time for a Dodge last year qualifying sixth. He was first inducted driving a Ford.

Andretti is in his fifth consecutive season with Petty Enterprises, but his vast racing experience ranks him as one of the most versatile and talented drivers on the NASCAR Winston Cup circuit. He is one of only two drivers to win in two different major racing series and also win two or more major NASCAR Winston Cup races. Winner of the 1991 Gold Coast Grand Prix in Australia, one of CART’s premier events, Andretti was also a winning driver in the 24 Hours of Daytona in 1989 in the series then known as IMSA.

The thoughts of Cheerios/Betty Crocker Dodge driver John Andretti heading into Darlington: “I really learned all about the Darlington Record Club while driving to the track the night before with Joe Dan Bailey. His Dad, H.B. Bailey, is actually in the record club. We were going to the track and Joe Dan said that I really needed to get on the pole so I could get into the record club. I really didn’t understand what that was at the time. We went ahead and talked about it and he filled me in as to what it is. I went out to qualify, and lo-and-behold, I won my first career Winston Cup pole, and set an event record which gave me a White Jacket.

“There are a very few and elite number of guys that actually have a White Jacket. I am extremely proud to be a member of the record club, but even more proud to be a part of the elite that own a White Jacket. I’ve got my White Jacket, and I do get pretty excited about going to the Darlington Record Club Banquet. I wear it when I go, and I have gone every year. “I get to be inducted again this year with Dodge and that is pretty exciting. I have made it in two different makes now (Ford and Dodge) and that is special. For a long time, Jeff Gordon wasn’t even a member of the Record Club. It’s pretty interesting to see the people that have been in the club or even the ones that haven’t been in it. It’s also interesting to see how long it takes some to get into the club. “It’s an interesting concept. In today’s environment it’s pretty tough. You want to get to Darlington and do really well, and this gives you some extra motivation. Darlington is also such an old race, a prestigious race. There is a lot of nostalgia surrounding the Southern 500. I remember for the longest time that Ken Schrader was the fastest of his car make in the Spring race, but never for the Southern 500. He always thought that it was for the fastest car make of any race, but it’s only for the Southern 500. He finally made it, and I am glad he did because he always livens up the party.

“It’s different to have a White Jacket. If I had a Blue Jacket, I would be just like some of these other guys, and just wear a sport coat or something. This is a White Jacket, however, and I want these guys to be asking my why I have one. Some guys don’t know why you would have a White Jacket, but the guys who have one know. It’s pretty cool to walk up next to Richard Petty, David Pearson, Cale Yarborough, and Dale Jarrett who all have them. I walk up with my jacket and I am one of the boys. It’s special and, hopefully, this will be a special weekend for this Cheerios/Betty Crocker team.”

http://www.rcrracing.com/news/020827-1.asp

GREEN'S OLD ENOUGH TO RESPECT DARLINGTON RACEWAY BUT YOUNG ENOUGH TO CHALLENGE IT

NASCAR Winston Cup Points Position: 20th

DARLINGTON, S.C. (August 27, 2002) - The year was 1950 and Darlington Raceway hosted its very first Southern 500. It wasn't until 12 years later that America Online driver Jeff Green was born, and another 29 years before he began competing on the track that has so much history as the oldest superspeedway on the NASCAR Winston Cup circuit.

Back in that first race, 75 drivers drove around then 1.25 mile, egg-shaped oval with an average speed of 76 mph, taking them 6 hours to complete the 367-lap event. Times have surely changed since Californian Johnny Mantz took the first checkered flag with the expansion of the track to 1.366 miles and the Winston Cup regulars now finishing races in just more than 3 and 1/2 hours, averaging more than 120 mph.

Competing in this weekend's Mountain Dew Southern 500, Green, a Kentucky native, never set foot on the historical site until his first competition there in 1991. While the track is nicknamed "Too Tough to Tame," he stared down the ole Lady in Black to post some pretty decent runs although he's also worn the "Darlington Stripe" on the side of many cars.

"The first time I ever got on that track, I didn't know what to think," said Green, who just surpassed the $3 million earning mark in his Winston Cup career. "My background is on dirt ovals and then to come here and see this egg-shaped track was really something. That wall really sneaks up on you. I just held on and hoped for the best."

"You always have to be on your toes to avoid getting that inevitable mark on the side of your car," said Green, who will start in his 32nd Winston Cup race with the Richard Childress Racing team this weekend at Darlington Raceway. Adjusting from the banked corners to the nearly flat straightaways is why many end up scraping the wall. The transition between the two is tricky."

The challenge of the superspeedway seems to lie in the very different corners, shaped to accommodate a minnow pond when the track was first built. With nearly the same banking, the radius of turns 1 and 2 is much greater than its counterpart at the other end of the track. While the width of the first corner is 79 feet, the drivers must make the second corner in 62 feet, creating havoc on the chassis set up.

"The big egg-shaped race track makes setting up the car more difficult since turns one and two are a lot bigger as far as the radius, whereas three and four you run right up against the wall," continued Green. "It's a race track that if you get your car handling well you can get right underneath to pass easily, you'll have a good day. The surface is wore out too so it wears the tires out quicker. The guy that hits on his chassis the best will probably win the race."

Not immune to the trials and tribulations associated with Darlington Raceway, Green also has suffered from the fate of the "Lady in Black". In the combined 18 Winston Cup and Busch starts at Darlington, Green has seen his share of accidents and bad luck, with two DNFs (accident and electrical). Green, however, can boast of taming the track once as he visited victory lane in March 2001 during the Busch Series race, for a total of eight top-10 finishes.

Some of the obstacles, though, are self-inflicted as was the case earlier this year for the young AOL team. Starting from his best position of the season (ninth), Green was strong early but loose lug nuts created trouble for Green as vibrations damaged the wheel hub, forcing NASCAR to black flag him as repairs needed to be made. Shown in the 36th position with nearly 80 laps left, Green remained a safe distance behind the leaders and avoided the melee that involved more than 10 cars. Finessing his way through the smoke and carnage, Green continued and gained valuable track position to finish in the 25th position.

"We caught a break earlier this year but usually this track isn't so forgiving," continued Green, who will pilot chassis #86 this weekend, an AOL car that has also seen action at Rockingham, Darlington, Texas and Dover earlier this season. "Darlington is a pretty good race track for me since I won in a Busch car and hopefully we can do the same in a Winston Cup car. Last time we were just five races into the season and the AOL team was still on a learning curve. Throughout the year, we have learned more of what each other wants so there shouldn't be any reason for a good finish this weekend."

So while 11 different Winston Cup drivers visited Darlington's victory lane before he even entered this world, Green hopes to be apart of history this weekend by making his way into winner's circle.

http://www.williamscompany.com/kppr0926.htm

Kyle Petty
SOUTHERN 500
"Weather will be major factor - good or bad"

Kyle Petty notes the tough 1.366-mile Darlington (S.C.) Raceway as one of those tracks where he "grew up." When you spend so much time as a child around racing, some speedways are simply going to stand out more than others. For Petty, that place is certainly Darlington.

Petty and the #45 Sprint Dodge team are hoping to add to the fond memories this week in Sunday’s Southern 500, NASCAR’s oldest and most traditional superspeedway event.

Petty, 42, will be making his 631st career start this weekend. He is 13th on the all-time list in NASCAR Winston Cup career starts. His eight career victories place him 45th on NASCAR’s all-time list in Winston Cup wins. One of the most recognizable names in international motorsports, as is his sponsor, Sprint, Petty’s driving career began with a five-race season in 1979. The native of Level Cross, N.C., has won over $14 million.

The thoughts of Sprint Dodge driver Kyle Petty heading into Darlington:

"You can look at Darlington a lot of different ways - and people sure do that - but the place may be the most weather-sensitive track we run.

"That doesn’t necessarily mean clouds and intense sunshine are the key factors. Yeah, they do play a large role on what the track surface is doing, and they will sure play a role in what your car is doing. But it goes a lot further than that.

"First of all, you have to keep an eye on the radar and the clouds. Every race we have had there the past few years has been affected by rain in some form or fashion. The fact that the Southern 500 is this week might be the best news these drought-stricken farmers have had in a while. From a race team’s perspective, you look at, first, will the rain come? If so, how much and when? Will I end up running a couple hundred miles, then stop for an hour, and then run 300 more miles? Or will a caution come at the right or wrong time? Or will it be a short race?

"Then you get into how hot it will be, and how humid it will be. (Engine builder) Mike Ege has to look hard at the humidity, for qualifying and for the race itself. Humidity will play a big role in how your engine is set up. Add in the heat as far as the chassis is concerned - and it’s going to be hot and be a factor, it’s just a question of how much - and you can see that weather will play a major role in everything you do with the race car.

"I’ve always had kind of a love-hate relationship with Darlington, and I guess the place has always felt the same about me. But drivers tend to get that way about race tracks. When you are running really good at a place, it’s a good track. Those days you are struggling, it’s a bad track. I’m like just about anybody else. I could be racing in a gravel pit but if I’ve got this Sprint Dodge out front, it’s my favorite track in the whole world.

"Darlington might take it one step further. It’s a track where you almost need to be out front. The place is so tricky there isn’t a perfect place to be. Probably the best place to be is in the

lead two laps after a restart. That way you are in front of everybody else and the only mistakes you have to worry about are your own. Any place else at Darlington is the worst place to be.

"You hear ‘race the race track, race the race track,’ and that is pretty much the case a lot of the time. But it goes further than that. You’re not only racing the race track, you have to race and dodge all of the guys who forgot to race the race track. When everybody is working hard and concentrating and not losing focus, there is a pretty good race there. But all it takes is one guy ‘tuning out’ for just a second, and next thing you know, there are a pile of cars sitting somewhere with a lot of mad drivers in them.

"There always seems to be somebody who gets ‘slapped’ by the place sometime during the race - at least once, sometimes more. Shoot, where else have you seen cars wreck under caution?

"Darlington is the type of track that probably requires more luck than just about any of the others but you still have to make your own luck there. You can’t rely on playing it safe at any time at Darlington. No matter who you are racing against, who you are trying to pass or who is trying to pass you, a car is liable to come off the wall or spin or who knows what at any time there.

"There is a lot of history and tradition to the place, and that part is kind of neat. There was a time I’d play football in the infield while Daddy and them were racing but, in the back of mind, I knew I wanted to be out there too. As I got older and wasn’t playing quite as much ‘infield football,’ the thought moved more to the front of my mind. Now I race there and there are some times I think football in the infield would be a whole lot more fun. Getting around Darlington can be hard work sometimes. Even if you are running really well and your car is handling, getting around Darlington is a tough deal.

"Tradition means a whole lot more when you are standing in Victory Lane looking at the long list of drivers who have won there before. Tradition means who won in 1950 or whenever. Tradition is 50 years. It’s not looking at the back end of a 2001 wrecker.

"But it also means overcoming the obstacles that are out there. The track itself is a real obstacle. You can hear that from me, from some of the really young drivers out there or from some of the drivers who retired a long time ago. The place is tough but one of the things that makes success such a great feeling is being able to overcome that kind of stuff. Hey, if it was easy, everybody would be doing it, right?

"That’s our goal, getting this Sprint Dodge team to see some of that success, to see how good it feels to run well. If you can run well at Darlington, you can do just about anything."

a Boo Boo,
What a thread, I spent a week reading I think. Lots of good info, are you any kin folk to HS? Cool idea havin' the Burton Bros. Show, could listen to Waaarrdd allday. Thanks again for the post.

My pleasure, Walrus. :) Glad to know someone bothered to read all that!

Yeah, they really do need to have a show of their own, the Burton Brothers. Let's start a petition!

Glad to hear it, TRL. :thumbsup:

Hey, Pbunch!! Here's something on Mark Martin. Just one quote, but some other interesting info. :)

Got a few more of the other fellas here as well. ;)

http://www.roushracing.com/mark_martin/def...g082802_160.htm

Viagra® (sildenafil citrate) Roush Racing #6 Ford Taurus
Mountain Dew Southern 500/Darlington Raceway
September 1, 2002

DRIVER: Mark Martin
CAR OWNER: Jack Roush

EVENT: Mountain Dew Southern 500

TRACK: Darlington Raceway/Darlington, SC

TRACK SPECS: 1.366-mile oval, 500 miles/367 laps

2001 WINNER: Ward Burton

DATES: Race: Mountain Dew Southern 500 (Sunday, September 1, 2002 at 12:30 pm ET on TNT and MRN)
Qualifying: Bud Pole Qualifying (Friday, August 30, 2002 at 3:05 pm ET on TNT and MRN)

2001 EVENT: Started: 13th Finished: 20th

Despite a tough day at the track, Martin and the No. 6 Viagra® Racing team never gave up, battling for position until the very end. With the car extremely loose, Martin dropped back to 23rd position by lap 56 and battled to hold position in the top 25 for much of the race. The team worked and made several adjustments but by lap 270 Mark had dropped a lap down to the leader. With the car still loose the team made more adjustments on lap 280 that allowed Martin to begin gaining positions and go on to finish a lap down, but in 20th position.

Still in Second, Viagra® Racing Team Rolls into Darlington

The Viagra® Racing team struggled in Bristol, first with the car's handling and then after getting caught up in an accident with Jimmie Johnson. Still the team fought to a 23rd-place finish and Martin maintains his second-place points standing heading into Darlington.

Martin is no stranger to Darlington. In fact, this will be his 34th Winston Cup run on the 1.366-mile oval. Martin finished 29th in the spring after getting caught up in an accident.

Martin at Darlington

Martin's first Winston Cup race at Darlington came on April 4, 1982 in the CRC Rebel 500, where he drove to a seventh place finish. His first win on the track came on Sept. 5, 1993 in the Mountain Dew 500. His first top five at the track was during the Spring race of 1983, a third place finish in the TranSouth 500.

Martin has finished inside the top 10 in 60 percent of his Winston Cup Races at Darlington (20 of 33) and in the top five in just under 40 percent (13 of 33) of his races.

The Car

The Viagra® Racing team will take JR-95 to Darlington this weekend. JR-95 last ran to a 28th-place finish at Indy after qualifying ninth and running in the top-five for most of the day, before mechanical problems. JR-95 lead 77 of the first 125 laps of the race during its inaugural run earlier this season at Dover, before getting caught up in an accident involving lapped traffic and dropping to a 41st place finish.

Hunt for the Championship

Despite Martin's tough night at Bristol, he still remains in second place in the Winston Cup points standings, 95 points out of first place. Martin last led the Winston Cup points standings in April of 2000.

Martin Fast Facts--Darlington

· Mark Martin finished ninth or better in seven of the nine races at Darlington between 1996 and March 2000.

· Martin has captured two poles at Darlington ('98 and '89), both during the spring race.

· Martin finished seventh in his debut at Darlington in 1982; making him one of only five active drivers to post a top-10 during is Darlington debut.

· Martin has won one Southern 500, with the victory coming in Sept. of 1993.

· Martin leads all other drivers with 15 top-10 finishes this season.

· Martin has led nine races during the 2002 season.

Quoting Mark on Racing at Darlington

"It's a good track for racing and I've been fortunate enough to win there in the past. The track itself is almost completely opposite of the way it used to be, and now the emphasis is really in turns one and two. We had a pretty good run there in the spring and even led a few laps before getting caught up in a stupid accident that cost us a good finish. Hopefully we got that out of our system in Bristol and we can put together another strong run this weekend in Darlington."

http://trpr.com/Wallace2002/Darlington/Dar...lington0802.htm

...but first, these notes of interest.

--team using the PC-34 this weekend.car used at Las Vegas & Dover this year.

--hard to believe, but Rusty has 4 top-fives this year and three of those are second-place finishes.

--Yarborough & Yunick to be honored in Oct. 9 NCARHOF ceremony.info follows in second release.

--"Revenge is a luscious fruit which you must leave to ripen." -Emile Gaboriau <-- !!!!

WALLACE, WILBURN & CREW READY FOR DARLINGTON
-Miller Lite Team Penske Gathers Positives From Bristol Aftermath-

DARLINGTON, S.C. (Aug. 27, 2002) -- "It was vintage Rusty Wallace and he drove his tail off," Miller Lite Team Penske crew chief Bill Wilburn said of his driver's runner-up performance in last Saturday night's Sharpie 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway.

"The guy who finished first (Jeff Gordon) said that he just wanted the win worse than Rusty did and I certainly disagree with that," continued Wilburn as he discussed the performance of Wallace, whose request to be "left alone for the next few days" after Saturday night has been honored by team members and the support crew. "Rusty came in there all fired up. He wanted to win practice, win the pole and win the race. He was really up on the wheel the whole weekend, so I know there's nobody who wanted to win any more than Rusty did.

"But that was last weekend and it's over and done with," Wilburn said. "There was a lot of good that came out of Bristol and we're using it all to focus on and get pumped up for Darlington this weekend and Richmond the next.

"We gained a spot in the points (now up to sixth), but even more important is that we really cut the gap to all the guys in front of us," said Wilburn. "We cut about 30 points off the separation up to Sterling (Marlin, points leader who leads Wallace by 162 points) and we're now only 67 points out of second. It was a big gainer as far as the points go.

"It probably didn't get the attention that it deserved, but our pit stops were tremendous all night long. We had a 13.70 (-second) stop our first time on pit road and a 15.30 (-second) for four tires and chassis adjustments the second time.

"That 14.65 (-second) during the last stop helped us get out of the pits in front of the 24 car (Gordon) and that was pretty impressive because they had the first pit and nobody was in front of them to slow 'em down. But as good as we were, Rusty was definitely on top of his game getting in and out of the pits. He hit his marks perfectly every time and dealt with merging traffic better than I've seen anybody do all year long.

"So we just had the total package going for us in the pits and we're looking to do that again at Darlington, at Richmond and then on down the road.

"Finally, our strategy worked out right and we're all glad for that. We had about 125 (laps) to go after our final stop and that gave us the tires we needed to get back up to the front. Man, I got chills watching Rusty come back up through there. He didn't say anything at all.just let Dave Kenny (spotter) and Roger (Penske) do all the talking on the radio. Rusty just let his actions do all the talking. Anyhow, it was certainly a big boost to come out on the right end strategy-wise for a change.

"What about the performance of that brand new race car?" Wilburn said of the team's new "PC-54" that debuted at Bristol. "Everybody has the ultimate confidence in that thing and Rusty knows right now that he has a special weapon ready for them when we bring it out again in a few weeks up at Dover."

But with all the good news Wilburn conjures up coming out of Bristol, how does he handle the fact that next on the schedule is Darlington, a track where Wallace enters still looking for his first career win after 37 starts?

"I guess I'm a lot like Rusty and enjoy being really optimistic," said Wilburn. "I'd like to think that there's no better time to win the first one than right now. And if we don't win and can come up with a top-five, well then that would be just fine, too. That would keep the momentum going on into Richmond and I don't have to tell you how much Rusty and all of us are looking forward to that one.

"But the bottom line is that we all know that there are 12 races left and they all are equally important. That's the way we're focused right now.taking it one week at a time."

Wallace's career record on the historical 1.366-mile egg-shaped Darlington track shows runner-up finishes in 1987 and 1988 as his best finishes to date. Overall he has 11 top-five finishes and 20 top-10 finishes. He is still looking for his first pole position.

He started fourth and finished 22nd in last September's Mountain Dew Southern 500 and started 18th and finished seventh in this spring's Darlington race.

"After really missing the setup the last few races, we bounced back at Darlington in the spring race," Wallace said last week of the upcoming trip back to Darlington. "At the beginning, I was really loose and I couldn't touch the gas pedal. We kept adjusting on it and I really had a fast race car the second half of the race. So now I think we really have a good baseline to start out with this time around."

This weekend's Darlington schedule calls for a two-hour practice session on Friday (11:20 a.m. till 1:20 p.m.), with a 3:05 p.m. single qualifying session to allocate all 43 starting spots for Sunday's race. Saturday's schedule calls for practice sessions from 9:30 a.m. till 10:15 a.m. and from 11:15 a.m. till 12:00 noon. Sunday's Mountain Dew Southern 500 (500 miles, 367 laps) has a 1:00 p.m. EDT starting time and features live coverage by TNT-TV and MRN Radio.

http://trpr.com/Newman2002/Darlington/Darl...lington0802.htm

...but first, these notes of interest.
--Ryan bringing "Daisy" to run at one of his favorite tracks...

--Mike Nelson, team engineer, is an Anderson, S.C.-native and a Clemson University graduate...he's also celebrating a birthday this weekend...

--"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." -- Edgar Allan Poe, "Eleonora"

Newman Looking Forward to Return to Darlington
ALLTEL Team Penske Brings Back the Same Car

DARLINGTON, S.C. (August 28, 2002) -- Ryan Newman and ALLTEL Team Penske know to expect a hard-fought race when the NASCAR Winston Cup Series visits the Darlington Raceway. They're hoping the "come from the back" experience they got in the spring race, where they finished fifth, will get their season back on track.

In his first Darlington Winston Cup appearance last March, Newman followed up his two Busch Series poles on that track in 2001 with a third place qualifying spot. But a crash late in "Happy Hour" practice saw the need to pull out the backup car, which would see the team start at the back of the field.

The car, "PRS-045," was brand-new and had not touched a race track until Sunday's race. It came from the back in impressive fashion to finish fifth at the "track too tough to tame."

"Even though it was the backup for Darlington, 'PRS-045' was scheduled to race," said Mike Nelson, team engineer, South Carolina-native, and Clemson graduate. "After the practice crash, it got its chance a little sooner. It didn't have any race laps on it and we didn't know what to expect from it. But I think it's done pretty well since that first race."

"I said when we pulled it out that it was a good car," Newman said. "I guess we didn't know how good. That was a great race for us. To finish in the top five was great with the backup car, our pit stops were great, we even came back from a lap down. All of the chips seemed to fall in the right place that race."

"PRS-045" soon became "Daisy" when in its second start it was the winning car in The Winston. Newman finished third in The Winston Open and won the No Bull Sprint to advance to the "survival of the fastest." Together, they held off Dale Earnhardt, Jr. to get the team's first win in Winston Cup competition.

"Daisy's" other shining moment this season was when Newman earned his second pole of the 2002 season at the Chicagoland Speedway. (See below for complete history.)

It will also help the team's cause that Darlington is one of Newman's favorite tracks.

"Darlington was one of the tracks I actually looked forward to the most before I ever drove a stock car because it's a lot like Winchester (Ind.)," said the Raybestos Rookie of the Year contender. "I really enjoy places like that because you really have to attack the race track.

"It's different on both ends, all four corners are different and the tires fall off for everybody, so it becomes how you can make those tires last the longest. It feels more like genuine NASCAR Winston Cup racing when you go to a place like Darlington where there's so much history and tradition behind it."

http://www.jimmiejohnson.com/news209.htm

TEAM LOWE'S RACING RETURNS TO THE TRACK 'TOO TOUGH TO TAME'
Johnson hopes Darlington Raceway is as kind to him the second time around

Team Lowe's Racing enters this weekend's race at Darlington Raceway coming off one of the most disappointing races of the season for this young team. Rookie driver Jimmie Johnson was involved in an accident with just over 100 laps remaining in the Sharpie 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway, costing him valuable championship points and an opportunity to extend his lead even further in the Raybestos Rookie of the Year competition.

Johnson and Team Lowe's Racing are looking to snap its "Friday funk" at Darlington. In four out of the last seven races the Lowe's team has either been forced to go to a back-up No. 48 Lowe's Chevy because of an accident during practice or been forced to a back-up engine. As a result, Team Lowe's Racing has started at or near the rear of the field in those races.

The challenge for Team Lowe's will be to qualify like they did in Darlington earlier this season, 5th, and avoid having to start from the rear of the field.

Johnson on how important it is to put Bristol behind him for the next race "It's real important. There are a lot of things that happen that frustrate you. If you don't get over them and put them away and move on, there's a lot on the line that they can affect. Mentally, if you have actions on the race track, NASCAR's going to fine you, penalize you, take points away from you - something's going to happen. So, yeah, it's very important to get it behind you and move on. At the same time, it's very difficult. Your livelihood is at stake. It's a hard thing to do."

Johnson comments on turn two at Darlington
"In qualifying trim, you don't really have to let out of the gas too much in the center of (turns) 1 and 2. The reason our line is so high through (turns) one and two is so that we can get the right angle to exit off of turn 2 and not hit the wall. In qualifying trim, when you have a lot of grip in the tires, you have a lot better shot at making it. You can control it a little bit better. But in a race when you're in traffic and you lose downforce to the nose of the car, you sometimes even have to use the brake to get the nose to sag to turn. If not, the car will just keep going straight and the car will run into the wall on the right side. Every lap, you can count on tensing up on the exit of turn 2 and hope that you make it."

Jimmie Johnson Fast Facts
* Ranks fifth in the Winston Cup Series championship standings, 145 points out of first
* Has won two NASCAR Winston Cup races this season (California and Dover)
* Is tied for the fastest modern day driver to reach two wins
* Has two wins, five top-five and 14 top-10 finishes in 24 races
* Leads the Raybestos Rookie of the Year Competition by 3 points (297-294)
* Has been the highest finishing rookie 13 times this season
* The 14 top-10 finishes are the second most in the Winston Cup Series (Las Vegas - 6th, Atlanta - 3rd, Darlington - 6th, Bristol - 7th, Texas - 6th, Talladega - 7th, California - 1st, Lowe's Motor Speedway - 7th, Dover - 1st, Pocono - 3rd, Daytona (Pepsi 400) - 8th, Chicagoland - 4th, Indianapolis - 9th and Michigan - 7th)
* Has three Bud Pole positions this season, second most in NASCAR Winston Cup (Daytona, Talladega and Lowe's Motor Speedway)
* Only the third rookie in history to win the Daytona 500 pole
* Only the second rookie in history to win a pole at Talladega Superspeedway
* Holds the NWC qualifying record at Lowe's Motor Speedway
* Has led eight Winston Cup Series races this season (Las Vegas, Talladega, California, Lowe's Motor Speedway, Dover, Michigan, Chicago and Pocono)
* Won his first Winston Cup race of his career at California Speedway, his home racetrack

Jimmie Johnson at Darlington Raceway
* In Winston Cup, Johnson has only one career start earlier this season when he started 5th and finished 6th
* In the Busch Series, 13th was his average qualifying position and 30th was his average finish
* His Busch Series record at Darlington Raceway is:
* Suncom 200 - 2001: started 24th and finished 32nd, 2000: started 16th and finished 36th
* South Carolina 200 - Fall 2001: started 8th and finished 16th
* Dura Lube 200 - Fall 2000: started 4th and finished 38th

No. 48 Lowe's Chevrolet Fast Facts
* Team Lowe's Racing will bring car 4866
* This is the same Lowe's Monte Carlo that Johnson drove during the last Darlington event, at Pocono to a 3rd place finish and two weeks ago in Michigan to a 7th place finish

http://www.evernhammotorsports.com/viewhea...line.php?id=800

Casey Atwood Advance Darlington Raceway No. 7 Sirius Satellite Radio Dodge Intrepid R/T

2002-08-27

Submitted by Amy Hunerberg

Darlington Raceway
Mountain Dew Southern 500
1:00 p.m. (EDT) September 1, 2002
367 Laps/500 Miles
1.366-mile oval

Difficult Track
"I’ve always had a hard time at Darlington – in both the Busch car and Cup car. It’s one of the most difficult tracks to go to and to learn. You’ve got to race right up against the wall. You’re two inches from hitting and a lot of times you do hit it. You gotta run right against the wall all the way around it. You don’t use the bottom of track like we do everywhere else. You just gotta get more experience at it and when you do, you’ll run better at it."

Building Momentum
"We’re carrying a lot of momentum out of last week. (Crew chief) Tony (Furr) thinks we’ve got a good set up for Darlington. He’s pretty confident that we’ll be fast there too. Even though I haven’t had a real strong run there, I’m going in with a lot of confidence and my spirits are up about it."

Turning Point
"This is about the point last season that I started to turn things around. I see a lot of similar things going on this season that we had last year. We’re finally getting all the people, and we’ve got some consistency in that area, so I’m getting to know everybody and they’re getting to know me. I think we’re going to turn things around. I’ve got a lot of good tracks coming up. Last week was a good momentum builder for me and the team."

STATS & FACTS

· This will be Atwood’s third Winston Cup attempt at Darlington Raceway. During the spring race earlier this year, Atwood started 40th and finished 26th. Atwood lost seven laps when the wiring from the throttle kill switch came loose. After correcting the problem, Atwood consistently was turning lap times equal to and often faster than the leaders, despite being nine laps down.
· Last season (2001) he started 30th and finished 25th in the fall race and started 32nd and finished 26th in spring event.
· This may only be Atwood’s third Winston Cup race at Darlington, but he has seen “the track too tough to tame” in four Busch Grand National Series Events.
· Atwood won the Pepsi ARCA 200 from the pole at Pocono on Saturday, June 27. He drove the No. 19 Evernham Motorsports-owned Dodge Intrepid R/T as part of the team’s research and development program. Atwood’s former crew chief Sammy Johns led the team from the pit. This was Atwood’s first ARCA start.

http://www.jerry-nadeau.com/darlington02-2...-2_preview.html

Event: Mountain Dew Southern 500 - September 1, 2002
Site: Darlington Raceway

Heading to a track where Petty Enterprises owns several wins, Jerry Nadeau and the #44 Georgia-Pacific team are looking for a big weekend during Sunday’s famed Southern 500 at the 1.366-mile Darlington (S.C.) Raceway. Nadeau collected a top-10 finish at this race last year, starting 11th and coming home ninth. The egg-shaped oval is recognized as the most traditional superspeedway on the NASCAR Winston Cup circuit.

The 31-year-old native of Danbury, Ct., is in his fifth full year of NASCAR Winston Cup racing, and has shown an ability to win races and to be a top-10 runner on a consistent basis. Growing up on the road courses of New England, Nadeau raced virtually every type of car there was and looked at an open wheel career before setting his sights on the major leagues of stock car racing.

Jerry Nadeau:
: “Darlington is and always will be a part of NASCAR’s tradition. It’s not the most state-of-the-art track and it’s not in the biggest market area, but its tradition is one that is unmatched in NASCAR Winston Cup. You look at baseball and there is Yankee Stadium, basketball has the Boston Garden, hockey has Maple Leafs Garden, and Darlington is the track where NASCAR hangs its ‘Tradition Hat.’

“History is the path to the future, and at the time when Darlington was built, the track was the superspeedway, and was the pathway for what we see today. There was no Daytona (Fla.) or Talladega (Ala.) at that time - they came later. Before that, speed, and the allure of speed, was defined at Darlington. It doesn’t matter your personal racing background, or how you got to NASCAR Winston Cup, you just know that Darlington was the stepping stone for superspeedways and speed.

“Every famous sports arena with a tradition has one because of certain characteristics. Boston Garden will always be remembered for its checkered hardwood floor. Darlington is always going to be remembered for being an egg-shaped oval. You will never see a track built like this ever again because of the era we live in, so this track is always going to be special.

“It’s a tough track to get a handle. You have two ends of the speedway that are just so drastically different from each other. Your car needs to have a good balance to it. You just can’t have a good car in one corner, but have it be way off in another. You will just end up in the wall sooner or later - most likely sooner. The tires go away so quickly, and then you actually do feel like you are at Maple Leafs Garden, sliding around on the ice. In fact, I almost have to go back to my days when I drove a go-kart on ice over in Russia. The track is so abrasive, if you can get two-dozen laps with good rubber and good grip, you go home and count your blessings at night.

“The Southern 500 is a race that everyone wants to win. Open wheel drivers want to win at Indianapolis and Long Beach. NASCAR drivers want to win at Daytona and Darlington. To be a part of the history, and to be talked about as being a winner of the Southern 500, is worth just as much as the trophy itself. The track is so old that the winners’ list reads as a who’s who of stock car racing. It’s one of the races that you want to win, and to win in a Petty Enterprises car would be really special.

“It’s pretty cool to be driving at Petty Enterprises, and it’s going to make this race a little bit more special. The King (Richard Petty) has had a lot of success here and the epic battles that he had with other heroes of stock car racing might not ever be seen again. I think it would be pretty cool to pull into victory lane and win this race for The King.

“I would love to make history this weekend. I know that Petty Enterprises and Georgia-Pacific are ready to pull into victory lane. It would be really fitting to win for Petty Enterprises at Darlington. It would surely go down in the history books.”

http://www.schneiderelectricracing.com/082802.html

Mt Dew Southern 500 Preview
Darlington Raceway
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (Aug. 28, 2002)

"R-E-S-P-E-C-T, find out what it means to me. Oh, RESPECT just a little bit, just a little bit." Aretha Franklin’s song could be the theme song for this weekend’s Mountain Dew Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway. For veterans or rookies, the legendary 1.366-mile oval is known to be difficult and demanding. But Schneider Electric driver Bobby Hamilton smiles and says, "Bring it on." Hamilton respects the "Lady in Black" and is looking to add another top-10 finish to his record of five on the granddaddy of superspeedways.

And Hamilton is not the only one who wants to add another strong performance in Darlington to his plate. His crew chief, Jimmy Elledge, places Darlington as one of the top places he has always dreamed of winning a race. Elledge took a few minutes away from arranging his busy testing schedule in October to discuss this weekend’s personal goals.

Why is winning this race so important to you? Are there other places that you would add to this winning list?

"Darlington is a place that has been around since NASCAR started. You can feel the history when you walk into the garage area. Ever since my dad took me there for the first time, I have always loved that place. And now being a Winston Cup crew chief, I have the chance to help my driver win a race at a place that is so historic. And that is my ultimate dream. I’ve always wanted to be a crew chief with a lot of wins under my belt, but to have a win in Darlington would almost be like winning the Daytona 500 to me. Now don’t get me wrong, I would take a win anywhere we race on this circuit, but Darlington would be really special."

Why does Darlington pose such a threat to drivers?

"It didn’t get its nicknames like ‘Lady in Black’ or ‘Too Tough to Tame’ because it was easy to race and win on. Only the elite can win there. Drivers complain about how Darlington can knock you for a loop at any time. Bobby is good about keeping his car out of trouble, but sometimes you can’t always help what is going on around you. This place is famous for a ‘Darlington Stripe’ on the side of the car. It doesn’t matter how hard or clean you race, most of the cars pull back into the garage after it’s over with a stripe down the side."

On a different note, you confirmed a testing schedule throughout the end of the year. What places are on your schedule?

"We will go straight to Atlanta after Kansas City to test for two days (Oct. 1-2). Then we will test in Martinsville for two days (Oct. 8-9) after Talladega. The last test we will do this year is after the Charlotte race in Phoenix on Oct. 14th and 15th. It’s getting crazy here coming down to the end of the season but we want the best finishes we can possibly have this year. So testing at places will help us."

http://www.ppi-racing.com/trackside_and_ne...tr20020828.html

Darlington Preview with Ricky Craven, No. 32 Tide Ford

Best Season Finish:
3rd at Lowe’s Motor Speedway
Best Season Start: 1st at Rockingham & Darlington

Best Career Finish: 1st (Martinsville, 10-15-01)
Career Pole Positions: 6 (Martinsville 1996,
New Hampshire 1996 & 1998,
Michigan, 2001,
Rockingham, 2002,
Darlington, 2002)
Current Points Standing: 16th

Bristol Recap:

Ricky Craven started 7th at Bristol and was running 6th when he was spun on lap 55. He recovered, but finally went a lap down to leader Jeff Gordon on lap 247. Overcame a flat right front tire late in the race to stay only one lap down and finished in 16th. The team fell one spot in the 2002 Winston Cup point standings to 16th overall.

The Chassis:

PPI Motorsports is bringing the same primary chassis that sat on the pole position here at Darlington in the Spring. This same car has also been run at Dover and Richmond. Both were top-10 finishes for PPI Motorsports.

"Reason To Smile" Stats Update:

Ricky Craven has two Bud Pole Awards, 3 top-five finishes and 5 top-ten finishes so far in 2002. He has completed 97% of the possible laps through sixteen points events. He has led laps in six separate events so far–Rockingham, Darlington, Martinsville, Lowe’s Motor Speedway, Dover and Pocono.

Good Memories, But… When the Winston Cup circuit last visited Darlington, Ricky Craven was only the 28th fastest car in practice, but took his second pole position of 2002 when qualifying was over. He led the first 27 laps of competition, but fell victim to an accident involving Steve Park and Stacy Compton less than 60 laps into the event.

Craven on his chances at Darlington:

"Heartbreak doesn’t begin to describe how this Tide team felt leaving Darlington the last time we were here. We got the Bud Pole and led a lot of laps early. The car was just settling out and letting us know how it was going to perform for the rest of the afternoon when we got caught up in that accident."

"Our goal is to get out there this weekend and duplicate what we accomplished. We left one behind here earlier in the year and we want it back badly. I think we’ve got some great setup notes to go off of that will make this Tide Ford a competitive force. If we play our cards right and can get back into the position we were in previously, we just might make Sunday a memorable experience for this team. I’d say we’re definitely on a mission."

http://www.racing.ups.com/racing/news_resu...020901_20020828

Darlington Is Home To Tradition

As the oldest speedway in the NASCAR family, Darlington has hosted many legendary battles with drivers ranging from Fireball Roberts to Jeff Gordon. "Battle" is definitely the appropriate word. Despite the 1.366-mile length of the track, Darlington is famous for short track style scrapes, both with the wall and other competitors. Coming down from the mountains of Bristol to the "Mountain Dew Southern 500", teams head into the second straight week of grueling racing that is particularly hard on both man and machine.

Due to its history, Darlington has certain traditions other tracks do not. One in particular is the Union-Darlington Record Club. Each year, the fastest qualifier from each car make is inducted into this club. Winners receive a navy blue blazer and a plaque for their efforts. Additionally, drivers who set a new track record receive a white blazer. Much like the coveted green blazer presented to golf's Masters Champion, drivers understand the prestige and meaning behind the Union-Darlington Record Club. Members of this famed club include Richard Petty, Dale Earnhardt, Bobby Allison and Dale Jarrett.

Like the competition for the Record Club, the racing action is fierce. Drivers often use short track "slide-jobs" to pass their opponents, and as a result many black tire streaks can be seen on Darlington's white walls when the day is done. The shape of the 1.366 mile oval does not make matters any easier. The tight turns three and four are quite a challenge after the higher banked, longer sections of turns one and two. The varied ends of the oval force teams to have a car that can handle both higher speed and tricky turns. Anyone who thought oval track racing was simple has never been to Darlington.

"Too tough to tame" is Darlington's slogan, and NASCAR drivers prove it each time they visit the historic track. From its rough racing surface to the tight corners, Darlington is a truly unique racing arena that stands in contrast to many of the newer tracks on the circuit. While many drivers have done well there over the years, Darlington presents a number of variables that make each event anybody's race.

Dale Jarrett and the UPS Racing team look to overcome a disappointing spring race with a strong finish in this week's Mountain Dew Southern 500. Darlington has treated Jarrett well in past years. He won there in the Spring of 1997, 1998 and 2001. The UPS Racing team is a force to be reckoned with at Darlington, and they look to move higher into the top 10 in the points standings this weekend. Live coverage begins Sunday on TNT at 12:30 pm EDT.

Darlington Raceway Quick Facts:

Oval
1.366-miles

Banking
Turns 1 & 2: 25 degrees
Turns 3 & 4: 23 degrees

Qualifying Record: Ward Burton (173.797 mph) Mar. 22, 1996
Race Record: Dale Earnhardt (139.958 mph) Mar. 28, 1993
2001 Winner: Ward Burton
Total Purse: $3,884,660

Almost forgot our points leader. :eek:

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/3963943.htm

Marlin's team holding steady
By JENNA FRYER
The Associated Press

DARLINGTON, S.C. - Sterling Marlin's been atop the Winston Cup point standings for 23 weeks. He'll need to drive better to stay there.
Marlin has failed to pull away from the pack or put together a dominant streak, going winless since his second victory of the season at Darlington Raceway in March.

Nonetheless, Chip Ganassi Racing thinks it can keep Marlin in front.

The team's strategy has allowed him to go back to Darlington this weekend focused only on the Southern 500 and again conquering the difficult, 1.366-mile eggshaped oval.

"At Darlington, you really have to race the track and you have to stay pretty focused all day long," he said. "You run so close to the wall that you can get into it pretty quick. Rubber builds up six inches away from it and one little slip and you're in the fence. But I enjoy racing there, it's a fun track to me."

The way things are structured at Ganassi, Marlin worries about driving the car and the rest of the team worries about the points race.

It's been a blueprint for success for almost the entire season as the team has weathered a series of ups and downs to take a 95-point lead over Mark Martin in the standings into Darlington.

It's got their confidence high, especially after the championship-level effort they put forth last week at Bristol Motor Speedway.

In perhaps their toughest test of the season, the crew changed almost everything on the car right before the race - relying on the setup and notes used on teammate Jimmy Spencer's car - because Marlin's Dodge Intrepid had been so awful in practice.

Then there was a mistake in the pits when Marlin pulled away with the jack still under his car and it rolled down the road, drawing a stop-and-go penalty. That dropped Marlin back to 37th in the field, but the team kept digging and he worked his way back up to a seventh-place finish.

In what could have been a disaster of a race, Marlin widened his lead in the points and proved his team has enough grit to contend for the championship.

"The preface to our whole deal is we're just blue collar workers, we're not superstars," team manager Tony Glover said. "We just take one race at a time, we do the best we can every week. At the end of the year when they add everything up, whatever happens, happens and we just feel very fortunate to even be in the championship battle."

They'll look to widen their lead over Martin, Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart and rookie Jimmie Johnson with a strong run in Sunday's race.

Marlin will be driving the Dodge his team calls "Daddy's Favorite" because it's been one of the group's strongest cars this season.

It won at Las Vegas and Darlington, has six top-10 finishes and finished outside the top 10 only twice. Once was when Marlin wound up 11th at Charlotte in May, the other time was when engine problems knocked him back to 27th in Indianapolis.

So the competition will be up against a strong car and a team determined to win the championship.

Those not watching Marlin will be keeping a close eye on Gordon, who broke his 31-race winless streak last week at Bristol.

The victory bolstered Gordon's confidence and made him a legitimate threat to Marlin. Gordon sits in third, 111 points back, and eager to gain more ground while looking for his fifth career win in the Southern 500.

"We always seem to be strong here, and I think a lot of it has to do with qualifying well and respecting the track," Gordon said. "The track has to be your number one concern and it's much easier to do that when you're not stuck in traffic in the back. Whether you're a veteran or not, it's tough to race from the back."

Back
Top Bottom