Driver's you admire...and why

4xchampncountin

Partially in an effort to curb some of the bitterness that seems to be developing, but not entirely. I have a question.

Who are some of the driver's you admire, and why?

Although Mark Martin is not my favorite driver, I have a tremendous amount of respect for him. It is not easy to admit to a drinking problem and even much harder to overcome the problem. But, Mark has come to grips with some serious demons and overcome them very well. He is also probably the cleanest driver I can think of. When he doesn't have a front of the pack car he doesn't get stupid trying to keep from going a lap down. He understands, more than anybody else I believe, how important it is to respect the leaders when being lapped. The respect he shows other drivers is very often reciprocated.

Kyle Petty is another driver I respect, although much more for his off the track activities. His involvement in so many charities is likely unmatched in sports. I also admire his ability to overcome tragedy. I can not imagine losing a son like he did. Much less taking over his number and continuing to do the very thing that took that son away from him.

Ward Burton is another guy who's involvement in many causes, mostly environmental, impresses me quite a bit.

There are plenty more, but I want to hear from you guys before I go on.

Ok guys, dont jump onto me for this... but you asked, and here is my answer..

First would be Dale Earnhardt Jr. Guys, anybody who can climb back in that car a week after their father died doing the same thing... that really takes some balls to do that. I really have the upmost respect for Dale Jr.. believe it or not..

Second would be Kevin Harvick. Just a natural born racer... never in open wheels, always for the stock cars. Love the attitude and passion for the sport..

Last would have to be Kyle Petty... not exactly a fan, but for the same exact reason that 4xchampncountin stated..

Originally posted by bud_stud@Jun 15 2003, 04:35 AM
Ok guys, dont jump onto me for this... but you asked, and here is my answer..

I would hope this would be a "jump on" free thread. ;)

First, Ward Burton...I admire and respect him more than any other driver. He is nice to everyone, and gives money do desperate families but at the same time, goes out and races on Sundays. He loves to help the nature with his Ward Burton Wildlife Foundation, and overall is a very respectible driver. Yes he is my favorite driver, but when I met him...he didnt have to give me an autograph, but he did.

Second, Kyle Petty is someone I really respect. Kyle drove the 44 car, and then Adam died in the 45, even after is death Kyle still managed to race, and take his place where he left off! Kyle has many charities and probably spends more time with them, then racing. Even though his racing days may soon be over, he is still one I will always respect.

Finally, Terry Labonte. He has always been one of my favorites...3rd to Ward and Jeff B. Terry has raced in the "old days" and was very competitive. Still here today in 2003, he is competitive and still hopes for another championship. He has raced with the best of NASCAR, and continues to race with the new, rookies that challenge the field on Sundays.

Just in case people wonder why I didn't include my favorite driver in my original post, here's why. I hope to steer this thread in a way that reaches beyond our favorites. But, yes I do admire Jeff Gordon quite a bit. The reason I first started following him is the utter hatred he was greeted with when he started winning. He was treaded like a foreigner just because he spoke clearly and won a lot. It didn't matter to many people that he paid his dues more than most. Driving since he was 5 years old, winning on every level, etc.. He never really treaded others the way he was treated. He responded with class and dignity and by just beating the favorites of those classless masses who cheered when he wrecked or had trouble. His charitable endeavors are pretty impressive also. The Jeff Gordon Foundation does an awefull lot for children and families in particular.

There are way to many to mention that I have respect for but here are a few:
Dale Jr. and Kyle Petty- They both had pretty big shoes to fill. Fans expect them to drive like their dad's. They are trying very hard to make names for themselves.

Ward Burton, Bobby Labonte, Kyle Petty, etc who gives their time and money to help others who are in need.

Morgan Shepherd- (Yes Mr. Shepherd)- For not being ashamed to drive a car advertizing Jesus. "Racing with Jesus"

I also have high respect for all the drivers who go out week after week and try to drive as clean as they can.

shawna robinson---being criticized for not doing well as a women but look at the crap she was driving

kerry earnhardt----for not having everything handed to him he had to try twice as hard (im not bashing jr)

bill elliot---he is just one of those nice guys you meet

Todd Bodine - For having the guts to wreck anyone and everyone in the Winston Cup Series, regardless of their team standings. B)

Well I think you can figure out who I admire!
Kyle Petty; He is just a all around nice guy and is trying his best to get PE back into the top ranks of the sport. He also has alot of courage to do what he has done since Adam's death: Take over his ride, then start the camp in his memory. Every time he climbs in the car and doe ssomething for the camp Adam must come into his mind.
I hope he does Adam good one time by getting Adam's car in victory lane, even if it is a lucky win!

Johnny, He is one of the cleanest drivers around!

I admire anyone and everyone who has the courage to climb into a stock car.

I particularly admire Kyle Petty for continuing on after Adam's death. It's the hardest thing in the world to bury a child.

Originally posted by TexasRaceLady@Jun 18 2003, 02:42 PM
I admire anyone and everyone who has the courage to climb into a stock car.

I particularly admire Kyle Petty for continuing on after Adam's death. It's the hardest thing in the world to bury a child.
I can only imagine

The first driver I would say that I admire would be Mrk Martin---One reason is for the way he has stuck with Jack Roush through thick and thin, and i have to agree its not easy to admit that you have a drinking problem and battle through that---And I cant imagine the feeling that Mark had to go through @ Michigan a few years back when he lost his father and then told the reporters and cameras that he was sorry for finishing 2nd.

Dale Jarrett----I have never seen anyone in Winston Cup Racing congratulate every driver and his crew like Jarrett does and he is always thinking about the more important things in life like his daughters basketball games or supporting our president (he just always thinks of everyone else before hisself)

Kyle Petty---- the reasons are obvious

Back
Top Bottom