E Medlen in COMA after horrific crash

Magnethead

Admin & Resident Techie
Staff member
NHRA POWERade Funny Car driver Eric Medlen was airlifted from Gainesville Raceway to Shands Memorial Hospital in Gainesville, Florida following a testing crash shortly after Noon, EST. According to Torco's CompetitionPlus.com staff members on the grounds, Medlen was making a run in the left lane when the car skated around before making contact with the retaining wall. The car then darted across the track and struck the right lane retaining wall.

According to medical personnel on the scene, Medlen was unconcious when they arrived but breathing on his own. Team representatives have since pointed out that his vitals are strong and he has a possible broken leg.

We'll bring you more details once they become available.

http://competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2129&Itemid=6

update:

The six-time NHRA tour winner, who participated in Sunday’s 38th annual ACDelco Gatornationals, was being treated in the surgical intensive care unit at Shands. He was listed in critical condition while being further evaluated by medical personnel.

Medical staff will provide a condition update at midday on Tuesday according to John Force Racing sources who emphasized that, at the present time, Medlen is not permitted to have visitors, phone calls, cards or flowers.

“Eric’s extended family would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers,” said Kelly Antonelli, spokesperson for JFR. “At the same time, we would ask that you respect the family’s privacy at this time and allow the medical staff to do its work.”

update: (NHRA and CompPlus)

Injured NHRA Funny Car driver Eric Medlen survived a delicate, three-hour craniotomy procedure to relive pressure and hemorrhaging Tuesday evening but remained in critical condition Wednesday at Shands at the University of Florida medical center.

Over the next two weeks, the 33-year-old will remain in a drug-induced coma designed to promote healing.

“We consider ourselves fortunate that Eric is in one of the top hospitals in the world for this type of injury and is getting absolutely the best treatment possible,” said John Medlen, Eric's father and crew chief.

“We want to thank Eric's friends, fans, sponsors and the entire NHRA drag racing community for their support in this very difficult time for our family,” he said. “We would ask that they continue to remember Eric in their prayers. He's a fighter, but he has a long battle ahead of him.”

The elder Medlen also asked, for Eric's sake and the sake of the family, that fans refrain from speculation, especially on the internet, where erroneous information already has been a source of considerable anguish.

per NHRA:

While medical personnel at Shands at the University of Florida medical center continue to monitor the progress of injured Funny Car driver Eric Medlen, team sponsor BP/Castrol announced Thursday the creation of a special e-mail address at which well wishers can leave messages of encouragement for the 33-year-old drag racer.

Medlen, injured last Monday in a testing accident at Gainesville Raceway, still was in critical condition Thursday after enduring a delicate craniotomy procedure on Tuesday. For at least two more weeks, he will remain in a drug-induced coma designed to promote healing.

Castrol SYNTEC, Medlen's primary sponsor in his first three seasons on the NHRA POWERade tour, has announced that it will print and assemble all messages left at the e-mail address [email protected] and present them later to the driver and his family.

Castrol also will make available at NHRA national events and at the upcoming Mid-America Trucking Show (Louisville, Ky.), posters bearing a likeness of the popular driver on which fans can print personal messages. Those posters also will be presented to the Medlen family according to Lori Anne Gola, assistant sponsorship manager for Castrol.

“There are so many people who care about Eric,” Ms. Gola said, “and we wanted to find a tangible way to show him all of that love and support. We thought that, through this e-mail address, we could capture the prayers, kind thoughts and well wishes of all those who empathize with Eric and his family.”

I guess I'll give the update...Eric has passed away. :'(

http://racingone.com/article.aspx?artnum=34003

I am in so much shock right now! I just read about this! I heard them say on ESPN ealier that he had sustainted injuries and that their thoughts go out to his family but they didn't say anything about him passing away, and then I just went over to Racing One and say this article!

And I haven't even gotten to see the first races this season. And I haven't gotten to see him since a few times last season. :'(

RIP Eric <3

Back
Top Bottom