End of an era

All stores were in So. New England. Ct. Mass and RI.

I have a 20 mile commute to do any kind of necessary shopping. Amazon comes to me. I like that option.
I’ll admit, it’s convenient and there’s a certain anticipation waiting for something to arrive.
However, if it’s a product that you’re unfamiliar with all you really have to go by is consumer reviews. I like the hands-on stores so that I can compare similar items and have a better chance of getting something that works for my specific needs.

Never head of them either, but still sucks for those that are losing their jobs, good luck to them .

Damn this is sad. After 93 years a local retailer closes all 32 stores. They carried almost everything, if they didn't have it, you didn't need it.
http://www.hellobennys.com/
The advent of Walmart pretty much was the death knell of the local mom and pop hardware/ grocery/ clothing stores...... they can't compete...... Now with the internet ..... even the big guys are feeling the pinch....... Sears, J.C. Penny.... Macey's...... all the big hitters are going into recievership...... It is really handy to sit at home and order this stuff online.... but..... I sure do miss the days of Western Auto... Ben Franklin.... Woolworths...... those days are gone forever.......

I have a 20 mile commute to do any kind of necessary shopping. Amazon comes to me. I like that option.
I very seldom shop for things outside of groceries in a store, much easier to do online, plus I can read all the reviews, compare prices and I can do it while being comfortable and eating my favorite sandwich.

I very seldom shop for things outside of groceries in a store, much easier to do online, plus I can read all the reviews, compare prices and I can do it while being comfortable and eating my favorite sandwich.
Amazon is our go-to place. The store that we shop for groceries also sells their gift cards. For every $50 in gift card purchases, you get $0.10 off of a gallon of gas up to 30 gallons. That works out to be a $6 savings on every $100 spent. That's the same as our PA sales tax. This time of the year a $50 gift card gets you $0.20 off a gallon or $12 savings on every $100. That adds up real quick. Especially when I use cards for Lowes and Home Depot. It's a huge savings every year. Just to give you an idea how much..... Right now I have $4.20 off a gallon up to 30 gallons. In other words, the next 30 gallons of gas/diesel is free. So far in 2017 I've cashed in on $493.78 worth of fuel.

Surprised they did not try to sell it. Like in a lot of family owned business, ran out of enthused generations .

Also probably did not care to expand in to online ordering.

Last edited:
Shopping on Amazon ---
If you do a lot on Amazon, as I do *sigh*, please consider using
smile.amazon.com
You can designate a charity and Amazon will donate a little bit of money toward that charity.
I designated the local no-kill animal shelter for mine. It's not much, but every little bit helps.

Surprised they did not try to sell it. Like in a lot of family owned business, ran out of enthused generations .

Also probably did not care to expand in to online ordering.

The kids are in their 60's, They don't need the hassle of working as they're about to become multi millionaires if not billionaires when the properties are sold.

The kids are in their 60's, They don't need the hassle of working as they're about to become multi millionaires if not billionaires when the properties are sold.
Shame none of their kids,kids took interest. Hate seeing family business' fall.
Its always a good story to see them flourish with future family members. Oh well,
looked like a cool business especially for "back in the day". Really unique business model
from the beginning. Hope the properties sell and not sit boarded up.

Old habits die hard..
We got a little snow yesterday morning, A little melting created some ice on our walkway. Wife went out to buy IceMelt.
Drove straight over to Benny's, 3/8 of a mile away. Son of a .....
Ended up fighting the crowds at Lowes.

Last store closed Monday

Back
Top Bottom