Engines are scattering, the one engine rule a cause?

H

HardScrabble

An article from the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette. NOt sure the evidence supports the one engine rule as the culprit. I wonder if this number includes all engine failures or just those on race day. That might be a tough stat to dig up.

Can't start your engines?
Teams suggest NASCAR backfired with new rule
By Todd D. Burlage
The Journal Gazette

Ryan Newman doesn't need statistics to recognize something is going on. He's already blown four engines this year.
Todd Bodine has been around this racing game long enough to see a trend - four or more cars with blown engines at eight races this season. It happened only three times all of last year.

As engine builders scramble to squeeze increased reliability without sacrificing horsepower, the new single-engine rule hasn't bitten every Winston Cup team this year, but there's growing evidence suggesting that its desired intent may have backfired.

"It's definitely had an impact. We've seen more blown motors than we've seen in a long time," Bodine said. "It's troubling because the teams without a lot of money to throw around are put even farther behind."

When NASCAR implemented the single-engine rule before the season, the belief was it would lower costs and help level the playing field between the "haves" and the "have-nots."

Rules require teams to use the same engine for qualifying, practice and the race. Failure to do so results in a starting spot at the back of the field.

But 20 races and 52 blown engines into the 2002 season, it's clear some teams are still struggling with the mandates.

Newman has been undermined by engine failure all season. But as a rookie, there is no history for comparison sake.

"It seems like we've had some problems with some engines this year but I'm not sure it's related to the single-engine rule," Newman said. "We've just had some 10-cent parts fail."

Engine builders use such precision in their quest for power, they previously built engines to last 550 miles for a 500-mile race.

The landscape has changed.

Horsepower has surrendered to reliability as builders now must create power plants that last 650 or 700 miles to allow for practice and qualifying miles.

"Some guys toughen their pieces and parts up, but we haven't," said veteran Rusty Wallace, a teammate of Newman's who's lost one engine this season. "We felt like our engines were already pretty tough so we really thought we were going to have a little bit of an edge on the competition because of that."

In an effort to keep mileage low and engines fresh, some drivers are beginning to limit, or even eliminate, practice time. Last week at Pocono, Newman scarcely practiced Friday, parked it during Happy Hour practice Saturday and still finished fifth Sunday.

Elliott Sadler was another driver who cut practice time short and may use a similar strategy later today after qualifying for the Brickyard 400.

"Anymore, everybody grew up through Busch (series)," Sadler said. "In those ranks, you only had one engine the whole time anyway so guys are used to it."

Most experts agree that it is probably too early to measure the effect of the single-engine rule. But with 52 motors already blown, the circuit is on pace to junk 93 for the season. Last year, 67 engines failed all season.

So is that really keeping costs down?

"I think it has played right into some of the bigger team's hands like Roush or Hendrick," Bodine said. "With their resources, losing a motor is no big deal."

Engines can cost upward of $70,000 - certainly not your daddy's old Riviera.

"We've got the best engine department out there so I think the single-engine rule is only a benefit for us and not something that has taken away from our program," said Jeff Gordon, an employee of Hendrick Motorsports.

So while some drivers and owners rumble and grumble about the new rule, most agree that it will eventually accomplish its desired effect and prove good for the sport.

And with its long straightaways and high speeds, Indianapolis Motor Speedway is the ideal place to test both arguments, as well as the demands on an engine. Last season there were no engine failures in the event.

"I think teams are still feeling their way through and it is too early to show the impact, but I think it is going to be good," said car owner Richard Childress. "I think it is going to be a cost savings at the end of the day and I think it's actually pulled all the cars back a little closer too."

Good article HS. Hard to tell if the rule has helped or hurt this year, guess it depends on who you ask. Starting at the back of the pack really hasn't been a big issue this year for some reason like I thought it would....

Ryan's in-car cam on his instruments while not shifting at Pocono kinda takes some of the credibility away from his cause.

Well the way that kid runs his motors up to the 95-96 rpm range, it's a wonder he even makes it to the first round of stops.

Heat at Indy today may help add to lost Motors Scrabble.Thanks,I enjoyed reading these stats. :)

Thanks, HS, another wonderful post. PURRRRRRRRRRR

One would think that as an engineer, Newman would know better than to rev up the engine that high and expect it to last.

?? Rookie mistakes??

BUT I still do NOT like the 1 engine rule. HISSSSS

Seems to me that the big money teams take the money they used for qualifying engines and put it into making race motors stronger. In my opinion this doesn't level the playing field.

Back
Top Bottom