Escape hatch in Nascar

B

bowtie

The extensive injuries suffered by Winston Cup driver Jerry Nadeau in a crash at RIR this month have some of the series' physically bigger drivers talking to Nascar about escape hatches. Similar to the setups found in the roofs of NHRA Funny Car bodies, the hatch idea was proposed last summer by Texas native Bobby Labonte. #38-Elliott Salder, who is 6' 2" tall and 195 lbs., said the idea definitley has merit. "I would really like to see that come, being a big guy." said Sadler, driver of the #38 Ford Taurus at Robert Yates Racing. "I cannot sit here and tell you that if my car hits drivers-side and catches fire , that I can get out of the right side. It's an easy thing to do in the shop when there is no panic, but if there is a fire on something going on, I think it would be hard to do that. I would really like to see the hatches be put in place." Exiting a Cup car in duress has become increasingly difficult since NASCAR mandates the use of the HANS Device.

What size would Jimmy Spencer's be???? Maybe they should switch to convertibles :p

My bad...I thought this was going to a story about Brooke Gordon taking the money and running. Nevermind. :blink:

Not a bad idea if the structural integrity of the roof is not compromised any,which it almost certainly wouldn't be given the roll cage.May be something NASCAR should look into.Like Sadler pointed out,it could be handy in certain situations.

Sounds like a good plan to me, NASCAR could be making a move in the right direction.

That is a great idea, Mikey Waltrip has been talkign abotu it for almost a year now, I am glad they are looking into it more. The only real problem they would have is makign sure it will stay shut when need be, and not fly up when the car turns backwards like the roof flaps. I like the idea of not making it mandatory, but i think most drivers would use it.

NASCAR has to ok this? As long as it wouldn.t change the roof line, why couldn't a hatch be installed. I don't see where nascar is needed on this. Tell the fab. men to install it.

Originally posted by EJL@May 19 2003, 12:22 PM
NASCAR has to ok this? As long as it wouldn.t change the roof line, why couldn't a hatch be installed. I don't see where nascar is needed on this. Tell the fab. men to install it.
Good idea, but, one to fall on deaf ears usually.

Unless mandated, there is a machismo with race car drivers who think it won't happen to them and refuse to use proven safety equipment.
Teams are reluctant to make some changes if it means the possibility of losing one-one-hundredth of a second on the track. There is a human factor involved that is hard to describe and implementing safety devices or features are not all due to inaction by NASCAR.
One thought on the roof escape hatch is if the body is damaged in the area of the roof hatch, could it still be opened. The hit Nadeau took twisted the roofline of the car and created the possibility a roof hatch might not open.

Michael Waltrip has suggested a larger driver window opening, something that is easy to fabricate and unaffected by a crash. Teams are reluctant for that change due to aerodynamics and internal structural changes unless mandated by NASCAR. :D

Guys,

I'm quite sure that NASCAR does mandate the size of the window openings.
While the escape hatch is certainly a good idea, I have to wonder about the design of the upper rollcage structure and what changes, if any, the hatch would require.
The biggest problem with driver egress now is not the size of the windows, it is the result of the new restraint systems and seat designs.
While those systems are a definite improvement over earlier designs, they do come with a price; that being more difficulty getting in and out of the car.

Back
Top Bottom