ESPN's turn

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing (Taylor's Version)
http://dalyplanet.blogspot.com/2011/07/last-chance-for-romance.html

A couple comments on the "things" said in this blog.

Ratings are going to be worse than ever, because NASCAR foolishly decided to push the start times for the Chase races back to when the 1pm games are already deep in to the second or early in the third quarter. If there's a good game on and fans are already consumed by that, they're not going to turn the TV on for the race. That's not ESPN's fault, that is 100% NASCAR.

Second, ESPN is right that the 1pm start times did not work... because at 1pm, they were just starting the invocation. It was 1:20 when the races started, and the football games were already entering the second. When the NFL says, "kickoff at 1:05", guess what happens at 1:05:rolleyes:. When NASCAR says "race starts at 1pm", they mean "hang on another half hour".

The 1pm start times would've worked if the races started at 1pm. Growing up, they used to run SportsCenter leading up to the race, go to the race at 12:50 and get the command and at 1pm, green flag was in the air.

As much of an avid fan of NASCAR that I am, I'm an even bigger Steelers fan. I don't car what time they start the race, whether it's 12:50 or 1:15, when the football game starts I'll be there. I always DVR the race. I don't have to worry about getting the race updates during my Steelers broadcast but I would have to worry about NFL scores during the race. NASCAR will NEVER be able to compete against the NFL, period. It doesn't matter what time they start the race.

As much of an avid fan of NASCAR that I am, I'm an even bigger Steelers fan. I don't car what time they start the race, whether it's 12:50 or 1:15, when the football game starts I'll be there. I always DVR the race. I don't have to worry about getting the race updates during my Steelers broadcast but I would have to worry about NFL scores during the race. NASCAR will NEVER be able to compete against the NFL, period. It doesn't matter what time they start the race.

The Redskins games usually get priority, but I'd be more likely to watch the race, or at least part of it, if the race didn't come on deep in the game.

Last year was totally different because Baltimore stations air two games a week: The Ratbirds and the NFC West games, you know, that division where the division champions had a 7-9 record :rolleyes:

NASCAR made a huge mistake, which is no surprise because that's what NASCAR does.

100% agree. NASCAR hurts themselves by trying to compete directly with the NFL. If the ego's would step aside, we would be watching Cup and NW on Saturdays. That would also tone down the Cup invasion of the NW series, and I bet the sport would see double-digit increases in viewership.

100% agree. NASCAR hurts themselves by trying to compete directly with the NFL. If the ego's would step aside, we would be watching Cup and NW on Saturdays. That would also tone down the Cup invasion of the NW series, and I bet the sport would see double-digit increases in viewership.

Or end the season on Labor Day Weekend in Atlanta or Darlington. 26 races is enough. If they want to stretch it in to September, fine, but the season shouldn't go deep in to November. 17 straight races without a break is asinine, I mean, that's literally the entire NFL regular season.

I think they should move the races to Saturday nights during NFL season. The only problem would be where does ESPN air them? They have college football games on every one of the ESPN channels starting around September.

Exactly so why bother trying? During football season I only watch maybe the last 20 laps of the race, during baseball season I watch the last 50. Nascar sucks, it has sucked for some time, and that is showing in ticket sales, revenue, ratings, and general over all interest. It had its' 15 minutes of fame, it couldn't hang with all the other sports, no way that football ever will fade like Nascar is doing presently. Nascar needs to step back, re-structure, make the season and the races shorter to generate more interest. A season from Feb to Sept, with the last race at Daytona not the first race would peak more interest IMO, got be careful always have to remember to put that...IMO. Wouldn't want all you folks to get riled becasue you can't figure out what is opinion and facts!

Or end the season on Labor Day Weekend in Atlanta or Darlington. 26 races is enough. If they want to stretch it in to September, fine, but the season shouldn't go deep in to November. 17 straight races without a break is asinine, I mean, that's literally the entire NFL regular season.

They could start in January, but I see no reason to abandon 10 races because people are playing Football. It would be easy enough to work around it by racing on Saturday. Just have practice and qualifying done by Friday. Then run the NW race first and take 2 or 3 hours off to clear the stadium and start the Cup race 4 or 5pm. They could also have all drivers out for one opening ceremony before the early race.

chuck-norris-approves.gif

Exactly! Shorten that season up. It's a certainty that that will never happen as it only makes perfect sense. Too much money to lose. Even a NASCAR venue @ 75% capacity is quite a truckload of money I'd imagine.

chuck-norris-approves.gif

Exactly! Shorten that season up. It's a certainty that that will never happen as it only makes perfect sense. Too much money to lose. Even a NASCAR venue @ 75% capacity is quite a truckload of money I'd imagine.

If Chuck Norris approves, it's accurate.

Chuck Norris needs a stunt double for his crying scenes.

It doesn't matter when NASCAR starts its races when the NFL starts, the NFL is king. They could start races at noon, fans will still flip over to a NFL game at 1:00.

I'm starting to get like dpkimmel2001. I think there doesn't need to be so many races in October and November. The season is a bit too long and runs too late. You only get 6 weeks of uninterupted NFL coverage once NASCAR finally closes shop for the year.

And when we end the season early you'll all ***** all winter how there is no racing. Screw the NFL I'll watch racing, football season begins at Thanksgiving.:beerbang:

And when we end the season early you'll all ***** all winter how there is no racing. Screw the NFL I'll watch racing, football season begins at Thanksgiving.:beerbang:

There is racing it just isn't crappy Nascar racing!

There is racing it just isn't crappy Nascar racing!

Crap is in the eye of the beholder and you are apparently spending most of your time in horse manure.

There's always another channel to flip over to when Nascar racing is on. Whether or not fans do it is completely up to them so if football is more important to you, then so be it.

I wont be flippin to football or anything else for that matter as those Sundays are booked for racing.

Exactly. I just wheel in my second tv from the guest room to watch football when the race is on. Problem solved.

Also, being on the west coast, I'm lucky that most Cardinals games start shortly after the finish of the Cup race.

Great doubleheader.:beerbang:

Last year I was damn glad there was NA$CAR on during last years $hity NFL season. I live in Arlington, Tx. new home of the Dallas Cowgirls. When football season is on that's all they talk about on all the TV stations, and radio stations is the Cowboys. By the end of Sept. we're already in Cowboy overload here. And now the NFL is talking 18 games. I had no teams in the NFL playoffs last year thank God NA$CAR was on.

Last year I was damn glad there was NA$CAR on during last years $hity NFL season. I live in Arlington, Tx. new home of the Dallas Cowgirls. When football season is on that's all they talk about on all the TV stations, and radio stations is the Cowboys. By the end of Sept. we're already in Cowboy overload here. And now the NFL is talking 18 games. I had no teams in the NFL playoffs last year thank God NA$CAR was on.

Same here, blue92. By the time football season starts, I'm sick of it because the DFW TV stations can't say 2 words without mentioning the Cowboys.

ESPN Rocks!! Cowboys Football Rocks!! Nascar Rocks!! Indy Rocks!! Yess!!

Same here, blue92. By the time football season starts, I'm sick of it because the DFW TV stations can't say 2 words without mentioning the Cowboys.

I loved it when ESPN was talking about how bad the Cowboys sucked last year :D

REDSKINS! :beerbang::beerbang:

Cowboys SUCK

I love it when the Redskins kick their asses :D

My favorites:

"Cowboys need to nail this to win the game. The kick, BLOCKED BY SEAN TAYLOR!"

"Brunell to Moss again, TOUCHDOWN WASHINGTON!"

"Romo to the endzone, Touchdown Dallas as time expires. Flag on the play, they call offensive holding and the touchdown is called back. That will end the game, Redskins win!"

I love it when the Redskins kick their asses :D

My favorites:

"Cowboys need to nail this to win the game. The kick, BLOCKED BY SEAN TAYLOR!"

"Brunell to Moss again, TOUCHDOWN WASHINGTON!"

"Romo to the endzone, Touchdown Dallas as time expires. Flag on the play, they call offensive holding and the touchdown is called back. That will end the game, Redskins win!"

Gee Andy, thanks for all that FOOTBALL nostalgia, updates, news, etc. It broke up the whole RACING thing going on around here. :D

Off-Topic--Alert.gif

Really? Bet you get a lot of ribbing, with you being a Steelers fan in Dallas, huh?

You should see it when I wear my Steelers the real America's Team w/ the kid peeing on the Cowboys star t-shirt around Wal-Mart or Albertsons.

Off-Topic--Alert.gif

Really? Bet you get a lot of ribbing, with you being a Steelers fan in Dallas, huh?

I used to despise the Steelers until I moved to Baltimore. Now they're one of my favorite teams, so glad they got rid of all the purple. :)

I think TRL should move this to the sports section. Anyways, **** talk, football season is close :)

So glad there will be an NFL season :)

Gee Andy, thanks for all that FOOTBALL nostalgia, updates, news, etc. It broke up the whole RACING thing going on around here. :D

Remember, this is a kid who hated football 2 years ago..and said NHL is the best:rolleyes:

Screw football. 68 days until the puck drops and Alexander the Great hits the ice on a Thursday Night!!!

Line up, hike, toss, catch. Wait 40 seconds, repeat.

I've seen every sport live in person, and football is inches behind baseball on the boredom scale.

Back
Top Bottom