F-1 No More Remote Control

I like it, but enforcement and implementation is going to be complicated imo. I expect enigma code work arounds to accomplish the same task, without the direct commands.

I don't know much about how much a driver can change with those sophisticated steering wheel buttons, I think they can effectively re-tune the gear ratios, brake bias, etc...

I would rather see the drivers mechanically or manually responding with no electronic adjustments. In other words tire wear, and fuel management controlled completely by the brake and gas pedals. If the cars are limited to that then the crews could tell them anything they wanted, and they probably will still find a way to deliver the same information in a less direct way. Simplifying the on-board electronic tuning would be a better fix imo.

It is still kinda vague, the article said that drivers will be able to access data telemetry on their steering wheels. But IMO it is a move in the right direction, I don't like listening to the pit telling the driver what to do..so it could eliminate the race fixing pit telling drivers to slow down and let the other driver win.

Silly. The cars weren't designed to be driven to the max without engineer input. Some of what's banned is really simple stuff that any other racing series allows (whether a competitor is faster or slower) and some of it is awfully dangerous (warning of brake wear and temperatures, brake balance information - pretty sure Hamilton and Rosberg would've been screwed at Canada if this were in place back then).

Too bad F1 still feels like changing the rules in the middle of the season, just like they did with FRIC.

If ya can't tell when your brakes are starting to fade, maybe your too dumb to be racing? BTW Hamilton is for the change: "I quite like that we're left to do it ourselves."

If ya can't tell when your brakes are starting to fade, maybe your too dumb to be racing? BTW Hamilton is for the change: "I quite like that we're left to do it ourselves."
I'm not sure how a driver is supposed to anticipate a high-voltage electronic failure. The drivers have enough on their hands already; the engineers are those who know best what to do when something like that happens.

Of course drivers are going to say that. Every commentator under the sun along with a large number of fans have made it a point by now that if a driver gets any sort of information they're being babied, or something like that. Lewis has been asking for information from his engineer all season long, just like all other drivers - I doubt he is really that pleased.

no I doubt if YOU are not pleased. He said publicly "I quite like that we're left to do it ourselves." Another thing you and I don't know yet is how much info they will be getting thru the steering wheel.

no I doubt if YOU are not pleased. He said publicly "I quite like that we're left to do it ourselves." Another thing you and I don't know yet is how much info they will be getting thru the steering wheel.
Nico said the same thing and everyone knows how much he relies on his race engineer.

Teams like Red Bull and Williams don't even have LED screens on the steering wheel. #2 and #3 teams in the series pretty much screwed right there.

Nico said the same thing and everyone knows how much he relies on his race engineer.

Teams like Red Bull and Williams don't even have LED screens on the steering wheel. #2 and #3 teams in the series pretty much screwed right there.

guess we could take up a collection?

I like it, but enforcement and implementation is going to be complicated imo. I expect enigma code work arounds to accomplish the same task, without the direct commands.

Some time back the teams could adjust the shocks from the pits to optimize the car for specific corners. That got banned. I agree with Greg that they will come up with codes to communicate.

It seems to me that part of racing is to try everything to circumvent the rules to gain an advantage which is why the rules keep getting tighter.

Some time back the teams could adjust the shocks from the pits to optimize the car for specific corners. That got banned. I agree with Greg that they will come up with codes to communicate.

It seems to me that part of racing is to try everything to circumvent the rules to gain an advantage which is why the rules keep getting tighter.
You're thinking of the automatic active suspension that the Williams cars of like '93 where they had the course layout loaded in the ECU and the car would automatically adjust the suspension for every turn.

The article I read pointed out that not all teams have telemetry on the steering wheel and would be at a disadvantage because the radio ban doesn't apply to telemetry. I don't know how they are going to enforce the rules. I don't see how the stewards or officials will review all of the radio transmissions; I'm pretty sure there would be judgement calls on what is and is not allowed and can they rule on coded messages. I do share the opinion that drivers should have control of the car. Maybe they need a Formula R series for remote controlled cars.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...anges-radio-ban-after-team-concerns/15873525/

The article I read pointed out that not all teams have telemetry on the steering wheel and would be at a disadvantage because the radio ban doesn't apply to telemetry. I don't know how they are going to enforce the rules. I don't see how the stewards or officials will review all of the radio transmissions; I'm pretty sure there would be judgement calls on what is and is not allowed and can they rule on coded messages. I do share the opinion that drivers should have control of the car. Maybe they need a Formula R series for remote controlled cars.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...anges-radio-ban-after-team-concerns/15873525/

They do. I don't know how information from the engineers == drivers not driving the car.

Now the drivers wont have time to make those funny little hand gestures when other drivers piss them off

Communicating with the driver is normal. For example, NASCAR has spotters helping the driver and the crew chief helps the driver too ("we need a few more laps on fuel"). I think F1 has more precise help ("set the fuel control to 4.2"); sometimes the F1 radio chatter sounds like they are instructing the driver how to do his job.

Electronics are an important part of cars these days. While I appreciate the amount of tech in F1 the race purist in me also appreciates low tech racing where the driver has total control.

Communicating with the driver is normal. For example, NASCAR has spotters helping the driver and the crew chief helps the driver too ("we need a few more laps on fuel"). I think F1 has more precise help ("set the fuel control to 4.2"); sometimes the F1 radio chatter sounds like they are instructing the driver how to do his job.

Electronics are an important part of cars these days. While I appreciate the amount of tech in F1 the race purist in me also appreciates low tech racing where the driver has total control.

They are telling the driver how to do his job including slowing down to let his team mate win. And it doesn't have anything to do with poison ivy either.:blink:

I don't know much about how much a driver can change with those sophisticated steering wheel buttons, I think they can effectively re-tune the gear ratios, brake bias, etc...

I would rather see the drivers mechanically or manually responding with no electronic adjustments. In other words tire wear, and fuel management controlled completely by the brake and gas pedals. If the cars are limited to that then the crews could tell them anything they wanted, and they probably will still find a way to deliver the same information in a less direct way. Simplifying the on-board electronic tuning would be a better fix imo.

Yep!! Coded messages like, "Hey Bob!! Your mom just called and she wants you to pick up a loaf of bread on the way home!" means: You're almost out of gas, buddy!!
Or how about, "Hey, Otis, your wife just had her baby. 7 pounds 4 ounces!!" means: You need to have a tire change!!

:D

I agree. It won't be that hard to give coded messages.

Button: Radio coaching annoyed me

Jenson Button says the recent tendency among some Formula 1 teams to use radio to coach their drivers during track sessions has annoyed him.
The FIA implemented a partial ban on radio communications during the recent Singapore Grand Prix, in attempt to enforce a rule that says drivers should drive their F1 cars "alone and unaided." The governing body wanted to bring in sweeping restrictions for the Marina Bay race, but eased those relating to the functions of the cars following a backlash from teams.

The FIA is pressing on with plans to bring in more comprehensive restrictions on radio communications next season, and 2009 world champion Button – who is the most experienced driver on the current grid with 261 starts to his name – thinks this is the right direction for the sport to take.

"If in the new tech regs, the radio limitations end up where they should have ended up in terms of not telling us anything, that is what it should be," Button said. "We should have to do our homework and plan ahead. And I think the more experienced drivers are better at that.

"The new guys coming in are told when to go faster, when to brake, how much heat, how much fuel – it is something that has annoyed me.

"In the years I have raced I have had help from a team, which is what it is about – you learn from things, you make your own mistakes, and you benefit from that as a driver and individual. For me, the way I have learned has been the best way."

I agree with Button, I've noticed that some of the radio communications that are broadcast seem to be instructing the driver how to do his job. I find it annoying too. But on the flip side, radio communication is supposed to provide a driver with info to improve his chances to win. F1 pushes technology to the max and driver communications is part of it. I don't see how the stewards can enforce any kind of communication restrictions short of removing the radios from the cars.

Maybe they should just have an indicator that tells the driver when to pit is all they need.

I agree with Button, I've noticed that some of the radio communications that are broadcast seem to be instructing the driver how to do his job. I find it annoying too. But on the flip side, radio communication is supposed to provide a driver with info to improve his chances to win. F1 pushes technology to the max and driver communications is part of it. I don't see how the stewards can enforce any kind of communication restrictions short of removing the radios from the cars.

Maybe they should just have an indicator that tells the driver when to pit is all they need.
simple, pull the plug on their sensors. Or go for robots behind the wheel..battle of the botts

Back
Top Bottom