F1 audience drop blamed on Vettel

S

SuperTex14

Sebastian Vettel's total domination of Formula 1 last year has been singled out as a major factor in the sport's television audiences plunging 10 percent.

rw: here's the interesting part:

THE WINNERS:
UNITED STATES - F1's biggest audience increase was in the USA, with an 18 percent jump in viewership following the switch to NBC and NBC Sports. There were 11.4 million viewers in total (4 percent market share)
http://www.racer.com/f1-audience-drop-blamed-on-vettel/article/332219/
http://www.racer.com/f1-audience-drop-blamed-on-vettel/article/332219/
SnHaGBK.jpg

A real shame, I cant imagine why anyone wouldnt enjoy Sebastions performances. Hell he even gives us donuts........... The elitist snobs must hate that

A real shame, I cant imagine why anyone wouldnt enjoy Sebastions performances. Hell he even gives us donuts........... The elitist snobs must hate that
Sebastian Vettel has dominate the last 4 fecking years. All because of car.

That's like NASCAR saying that ratings declines are due to Dale Jr's sorry performances through the years. F1 brass have some balls.

I'd say more of it has to do with a lot of coverage moving from free-to-air to pay TV.

It's good to say America had the greatest increase though. I wouldn't have expected that.

I don't know, I have a few family members who have stopped watching NASCAR because Jimmie Johnson "always wins".

I have read a few articles that basically say the Renault engines are not up to par this year. Its not sounding good for Red Bull in 2014 :(

I don't know, I have a few family members who have stopped watching NASCAR because Jimmie Johnson "always wins".
I don't doubt that played a part, but it seems like for the most part it's due to the strategy of moving away from free-to-air - like French coverage going from TF1 to Canal+ and Chinese coverage leaving CCTV.

I know my interest in the sport of F1 is down because of all the dominance.

I don't doubt that played a part, but it seems like for the most part it's due to the strategy of moving away from free-to-air - like French coverage going from TF1 to Canal+ and Chinese coverage leaving CCTV.
Hmmm, the new NASCAR TV contract does have some Cup races on FS1 and NBCSN starting in 2015. I wonder if that will hurt NASCAR ratings even more. Although, quite a bit races were already on ESPN during the back half of the season so it probably all comes out in the wash.

Hmmm, the new NASCAR TV contract does have some Cup races on FS1 and NBCSN starting in 2015. I wonder if that will hurt NASCAR ratings even more. Although, quite a bit races were already on ESPN during the back half of the season so it probably all comes out in the wash.

No. NBC will be airing seven races on broadcast. That's a huge improvement over the three (two when you consider that half of the country's ABC affiliates dump the Bristol race) that are shown on ABC now.

F1 ratings increased with the NBC deal because NBC actually attempted to give half a damn about it and their coverage is far superior than their predecessor's coverage.

Yeah, I think it's still a 16-20 split between broadcast and cable beginning next year, although there are more broadcast races during the back half of the season as Andy said. FS1 and NBCSN aren't in as many homes as ESPN yet but I'm sure they will close the gap by the time they start covering races.

I just think Alonso is the better driver......IMHO

Lots of folks do and you all may be right. Vettel does stuff his way and I like that, I have had no respect for Alonso since the episode when his team mate wrecked to get him a win. Supposedly Alonso had no knowledge of the conspiracy but Im not buying it

Lots of folks do and you all may be right. Vettel does stuff his way and I like that, I have had no respect for Alonso since the episode when his team mate wrecked to get him a win. Supposedly Alonso had no knowledge of the conspiracy but Im not buying it
Alonso can drive bud......no one can deny that :)

Alonso can drive bud......no one can deny that :)

His early race charges do impress, so I will agree. I look very much forward to the 2014 season and the chance to see these new cars race

Surprised Alonso is still with Ferrari. The rumor mill seemed to be pointing towards Alonso wanting out of Ferrari after they signed Kimi.

Surprised Alonso is still with Ferrari. The rumor mill seemed to be pointing towards Alonso wanting out of Ferrari after they signed Kimi.

Hmmm is Alonso worried about Kimi showing him up or what ??? I could imagine him leaving if Ferrari cant give him a more competitive car, that is if the cars were really as bad as he said they were :idunno:

Hmmm is Alonso worried about Kimi showing him up or what ??? I could imagine him leaving if Ferrari cant give him a more competitive car, that is if the cars were really as bad as he said they were :idunno:
A pair of superstars on one team never really seems to work out well. Ferrari really hasn't had a top car for a while now either.

A pair of superstars on one team never really seems to work out well. Ferrari really hasn't had a top car for a while now either.

I was reading that the drivers are complaining about the new cars being "too slow". As much as 8 seconds a lap slower than the 2013 cars !!!! The first race should be fairly interesting huh ??

I was reading that the drivers are complaining about the new cars being "too slow". As much as 8 seconds a lap slower than the 2013 cars !!!! The first race should be fairly interesting huh ??
I think it was Jenson that said at most events, especially early on, they won't be much faster than the GP2 cars. It's going to be an interesting year for sure.

Yeah, F1 teams for 60 years haven't hidden the fact that they have #1 drivers and #2 drivers. With Kimi at Ferrari, who the #1 and #2 drivers are is probably becoming very blurred from where Alonso is sitting.

Yeah, F1 teams for 60 years haven't hidden the fact that they have #1 drivers and #2 drivers. With Kimi at Ferrari, who the #1 and #2 drivers are is probably becoming very blurred from where Alonso is sitting.

Yep Alonso has been sitting on the throne for quite some time now and probably isnt too interested in having to fight for the seat. I dont think Kimi gives much of a crap either way as long as people leave him alone and let him drive :laugh:

Yep Alonso has been sitting on the throne for quite some time now and probably isnt too interested in having to fight for the seat. I dont think Kimi gives much of a crap either way as long as people leave him alone and let him drive :laugh:

It should be a fun year. Maybe we'll see a Prost/Senna-type teammate battle royale this season.

It should be a fun year. Maybe we'll see a Prost/Senna-type teammate battle royale this season.

Ahhhh yes that brings back some memories !!!! Would love to see the red cars trading paint on a regular basis, I probably wouldnt miss the v-12s so much with that kind of drama happening. I really hope they havent killed these cars with that crappy v-6 engine :(
Bernie tried to put a stop to it but I guess it was too late. There are times when I kind of like that greedy little troll :)

One of the problems I see with F1 teams is that there is usually a primary driver and a secondary driver. I can't imagine how a driver would like being a support driver to a team mate and competitor. We've seen how a secondary driver is instructed to give up a position (or even a win) so the primary driver can get a better finish.

The intentional wreck by Nelson Piquet Jr. (LOL) was more the fault of Renault's team leadership than Alonso, although he didn't exactly refuse to accept the win:
"Piquet Jr. had reportedly stated to the FIA that he had been asked to crash by Briatore and Renault chief engineer Pat Symonds."
from the Wikipedia page

I take sort of a lazze-faire approach. I would want my GP team to have a secondary driver who was like an old-fashioned NHL forth line goon. His job is to block and take out competitors.

driven-51.jpg

Win at any cost!

The intentional wreck by Nelson Piquet Jr. (LOL) was more the fault of Renault's team leadership than Alonso, although he didn't exactly refuse to accept the win:
"Piquet Jr. had reportedly stated to the FIA that he had been asked to crash by Briatore and Renault chief engineer Pat Symonds."
from the Wikipedia page

I guess we will never know the complete truth on that situation, I have a hard time believing that Alonso had no knowledge

I guess we will never know the complete truth on that situation, I have a hard time believing that Alonso had no knowledge
I didn't mean to imply that Fred was completely ignorant to what was going on. It's pretty well understood that possible scenarios are discussed during pre-race planning so they don't have to be explicit on the radio. Same as MWR's meeting before Richmond last year, if ya know what I mean :)

I didn't mean to imply that Fred was completely ignorant to what was going on. It's pretty well understood that possible scenarios are discussed during pre-race planning so they don't have to be explicit on the radio. Same as MWR's meeting before Richmond last year, if ya know what I mean :)

I understand, sure would like to know the whole story though. One thing I am sure of is we wont be seeing Piquet driving an F-1 car anytime soon :D

Back
Top Bottom