F1: Belgian Grand Prix

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
One of the best events on the calendar.

Cqo4pHNUIAAyX5m.jpg

Do I understand this correctly... that Hamilton plans to introduce three new engines, three new turbos, three new energy recovery systems... etc etc etc? And he'll have all these multiple components added to his inventory to use for the rest of the season? And just have one large penalty for this week? Do I have that right? Seems like a serious loophole there. Hard to believe Charlie Whiting would let a brazen move like that pass scrutiny.

Do I understand this correctly... that Hamilton plans to introduce three new engines, three new turbos, three new energy recovery systems... etc etc etc? And he'll have all these multiple components added to his inventory to use for the rest of the season? And just have one large penalty for this week? Do I have that right? Seems like a serious loophole there. Hard to believe Charlie Whiting would let a brazen move like that pass scrutiny.

Strategeric Move. But I do agree the flawed loophole allows Mercedes to minimize the intent. Whiting most likely has no other choice or options based on the prescribed stipulations of the rule.

The provision or allowance to minimize the intent could be by design as well. Maybe a mutually agreed upon compromise to gain a consensus when the rules were being hammered out. Most likely the richer teams do not want any cost controls while the smaller teams need them.
I don't know, I could be totally wrong just my uneducated thoughts.

(snipped quote in italics)
Mercedes have chosen to take as many new engine parts as necessary this weekend to put Hamilton in the best possible position for the remainder of the season, because any penalty he incurs beyond 20 places is effectively taken for free...

^ http://m.bbc.com/sport/formula1/37188288

I hear what you're saying, Greg, but it sucks that Mercedes is being allowed to flaunt this cost-reduction rule so blatantly. Limits on number of engines has been very effective in many racing series. And in F1, half the teams teeter on the edge of bankruptcy, and the need to rein in costs is very real.

I hear what you're saying, Greg, but it sucks that Mercedes is being allowed to flaunt this cost-reduction rule so blatantly. Limits on number of engines has been very effective in many racing series. And in F1, half the teams teeter on the edge of bankruptcy, and the need to rein in costs is very real.

It might drive them to reducing the number of loopholes in the future.

SPa is at the top of my "must visit " list. It is so complete as a track. What is disturbing about F1 at the moment are these silly tokens and grid penalties for parts replacements, what does that accomplish?

"Such was the level of carnage that in the end (Hamilton) made just four passing moves on healthy cars - two before the red flag, and two after it - as he climbed from 21st to the podium." Article.

Crazy race. Glad Mag is alright. Verstappen drove like a jackass today.

When hasn't he?

This kid thinks he owns the racetrack. F1 for how tough they want to appear about handing out penalties always seen to treat him with kid gloves.

In this race alone he managed to block Raikkonen like a mad man. Got in Vettel's way and drove Perez off the track. ****** moron.

What an amazing crowd. Biggest I've seen for a GP in a while.

Excellent weekend for Force India, they really could snag fourth in the WCC.

Scary for Magnussen. Haven't seen a headrest come undone like that before.

Verstappen is total douche. Quick driver, but he has no regard for human life. He's driven like this all year. Stewards oughta park his ass if he's involved in one more skirmish.

Verstappen should have been penalized already before SPA. They have allowed him do things that would have resulted in penalties for any other driver.

He is 18 and believes he is invincible, and he crosses the line. But F1 has allowed that to go unchecked to many times, and now the kid feels justified. A ridiculous state of affairs when considering F1s heavy handed penalties for other drivers.
I hope F1 does something next time Verstappen pulls a similar stunt and I believe they will.

A day late and a dollar short.

Back
Top Bottom