F1: Japanese Grand Prix

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
DLN0kr2UIAA9p74.jpg

A race we will definitely be able to see on Sunday

Second practice was pretty swamped.

Hope it rains for quals and race.

With these crazy speeds, someone is going to get badly injured. Qualifying was insane.

Cars were taking the corners at insane speeds.

Ferrari is just pathetic.
Pretty incredible how they threw a championship away in three races. Vettel looked like he was running with a Honda in the back of his car down the straight.

Now he's done. Ha. Probably won't even hold off Red Bull in the WCC at this rate.

WTF...

NBCSN misses the restart NASCAR style. Vettel out.

Kiss the ring. Game over, championship over.

Well that was certainly an eventful first few laps. Much of it inexplicably missed by NBCSN with an interminable early commercial break. I just hope Verstappen has something for Hamilton.

NBCSN is obviously mailing it in after it was announced they won't return. They went back to racing while they were on commercials.

By keeping Bottas out Mercedes are backing up Hamilton to Verstappen. Odd.

It looked to me like Bottas was left out to pull over for Hamilton and hold up Verstappen, and apparently Hamilton needs the help, as Verstappen appears to have the pace for a potential challenge if the timing were right. Raikonnen's comeback seems to show that Vettel should have had serious speed. Ferrari's incompetence robbed us of a better race.

It looked to me like Bottas was left out to pull over for Hamilton and hold up Verstappen, and apparently Hamilton needs the help, as Verstappen appears to have the pace for a potential challenge if the timing were right. Raikonnen's comeback seems to show that Vettel should have had serious speed. Ferrari's incompetence robbed us of a better race.
They cut it pretty close. I think Max got to within less than a second. Looks like they did need it though. Pretty stable gap at ~2 seconds.

I'm still trying to understand:

a. What the NBC crew were trying to figure out, why the gap was growing so much under the VSC. How does this happen under such uncertain circumstances? This aspect of F1 is inexplicable to me.

b. How Verstappen cut a 3.5 second lead to under a second in about three laps.

Weird stuff, but it was a suspenseful finish.

Welp... insert fork in Ferrari. Just as Diffy said, Haas ' goal is to get to 50 pts this year.
That is what I will focus on and for Max V. to get another win to stay interested the
rest of the season.

This race made me even more grateful that sportscars are staging a major renaissance.

I've only watched the last 2 laps of the race but after watching the 6 minute race recap on F1's Youtube channel I feel like I've missed nothing.

I missed one hour of the Petite lemans and I'm going to have to watch all of those other 9 hours just to get enough. After watching a super competitive race like that (across all classes), F1 is totally uninteresting. The Rolex 24 can't possibly get here soon enough.

I tried really hard to give F1 another chance, but it's such a mess that it's not even worth it any more.

I'm still trying to understand:

a. What the NBC crew were trying to figure out, why the gap was growing so much under the VSC. How does this happen under such uncertain circumstances? This aspect of F1 is inexplicable to me.

b. How Verstappen cut a 3.5 second lead to under a second in about three laps.

Weird stuff, but it was a suspenseful finish.

Pretty interesting in watching the UK feed they went into details about your questions.

About the virtual safety car they said because you're going slower, the gap increases to about 5 seconds but under green it normalizes because you are allowed to speed up accordingly.

Also Martin Brundle said they had timing sections all around the track that monitor just how much you can gain or lose under said conditions.

About Hamilton issues at the end, he had a vibration coming from his unit in the car. EU or whatever they call it.

Probably a big loss of concentration more than loss of power given that he was able to finish and win the race.

I missed one hour of the Petite lemans and I'm going to have to watch all of those other 9 hours just to get enough. After watching a super competitive race like that (across all classes), F1 is totally uninteresting. The Rolex 24 can't possibly get here soon enough.

I tried really hard to give F1 another chance, but it's such a mess that it's not even worth it any more.
I'm not really into IMSA and except the Nürburgring and Le Mans 24 hour races I haven't watched an endurance race in the whole season.
I prefer shorter races, NASCAR Cup Series races are the longest races I watch regularly. I absolutely love Formula 2 and TCR, they both always put on a great show, as they have done today.
I'm not quite sure if I'm still able to watch F1 (and F2) races next year when they will introduce the halo.

About the virtual safety car they said because you're going slower, the gap increases to about 5 seconds but under green it normalizes because you are allowed to speed up accordingly.

Ah, of course. Don't know how this escaped me. Now it makes sense.

I'm not really into IMSA and except the Nürburgring and Le Mans 24 hour races I haven't watched an endurance race in the whole season.

IMSA only has four endurance races: Daytona, Sebring, Watkins Glen, and the Petite. The rest are sprint races of about 2 hrs 45 min. IMSA also usually has a one hour rebroadcast of the race, though I can hardly imagine how they could possibly condense this race down to that. There was simply way too much going on.

Now WEC, they have real endurance racers. I believe the shortest one is 6 hours. They broadcast the first five hours and then the last 6 is on Fox sports go, which I can't seem to get. Then they broadcast the last hour about a week later. It's no wonder that no one in the states really cares about that series.

I prefer shorter races, NASCAR Cup Series races are the longest races I watch regularly.

Most IMSA races are shorter than Nascar races, especially if we are talking 500 milers.

I'm not quite sure if I'm still able to watch F1 (and F2) races next year when they will introduce the halo..

The halo is just the final straw for me.

'Tis a stressful time to be a Ferrari fan. Or Kimi fan, for that matter.

Oh my, at least we have Verstappen to kind of mess with Hamilton at the front.

Where has Bottas been lately?!

Where has Bottas been lately?!

I think he's on that new high downforce package Mercedes has been trying to use. Could be wrong though.

Both cars were on it on Malaysia and they had to put Hamilton on the old stuff for the race and kept Bottas on the new stuff.

In Malaysia, he ran the new aero package all weekend, while Hamilton reverted to the old one after a poor Friday. Hamilton explained that this was their personal choice.

Bottas was 8/10ths of a second off the pace and he was clearly very down after the race: "It is difficult. Being honest, it may be the most difficult time of my career so far in terms of how it feels every time you go in the car because I just want to perform.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bottas-rough-patch-mercedes-960534/

Back
Top Bottom