F1 News

Discussion in 'Open Wheel Racing' started by Get That 88 Up There !!, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Get That 88 Up There !!

Get That 88 Up There !! JR Fan Forever

Mr. Gregory likes this.
  2. Mr. Gregory

Mr. Gregory R-F's Lead Threadjacker & Jamie Little's #1 Fan

That's interesting if it's true. I wonder if he'll stick around for more than just one season then?

3. Get That 88 Up There !!

He could, I doubt Williams would want to have two very young drivers, unless a more experienced driver would take the seat in 2018 like Perez or Hulkenberg

Mr. Gregory likes this.
  4. Reck

Reck Team Owner

This is like a Gordon-like situation. Having a vet driver ocupy a seat while the team waits/searches for a better, permanent driver.

Honestly, after the 2008 season Massa hit a massive wall and went absolutely nowhere. Couldn't do anything in Ferrari equipment.

5. Reck

Reck Team Owner

But that said, I'm glad he could still race at least one more season to possibly end it in better circustances.

6. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

Manor has been placed into administration.

This team has been though hell ever since it came into F1 seven years ago by going through so many changes from the top from investors, administrators, personnel to many driver changes without a lot of continuity. Caterham pulled out a couple of years ago, Manor then Virgin Racing (In which Branson did not put in a damn cent, he just uses it as advertisement space) and Marussia Racing (which had the same damn problem, not enough if any money was being placed into the team). I loved John Booth by the way, he's respected as one of the most friendliest and hard working team principals around, ie why Toro Rosso picked him up. Graeme Lowdon deserves a lot of credit as well for being patient building the team, but when they left, I had doubts.

I hoped that Tavo Hellmound would buy the team, the guy who was the big money investor behind Circuit of the Americas, would be interested in buying the team... They are still struggling to find an investor and sponsors are so hard to come by in F1 now in days because of the cost. Its sad becuase Jules Bianchi's memory might just be gone for good, those two points saved the team and they are still operational because of those points. When Felipe Nasr passed Ocon, I think everyone knew Manor was going to have a tough offseason. They needed those points badly and due to the ridiculous percentage payout in F1 while they are 50+ million euros to Ferrari for being Ferrari... Manor did not receive enough money, they lost out on 30 million euros!

By the way, Sauber should receive funding for being a long standing team. They deserve money for it, as Sauber has been Sauber for over 20 years, its about time Peter Sauber's team deserves some more funding.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/manor-f1-team-goes-into-administration-863419/

7. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Greg and darlingtonfan like this.
  8. darlingtonfan

darlingtonfan Crew Chief

cheesepuffs, FLRacingFan and Greg like this.
  9. Greg

Greg 2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader

the following quote is from the comments in the link

FLRacingFan likes this.
  10. Get That 88 Up There !!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Zerkfitting, Greg and FLRacingFan like this.
  11. Reck

Reck Team Owner

Are the tracks not getting enough funding or what? Losing Silverstone would be a major blow.

darlingtonfan likes this.
  12. darlingtonfan

darlingtonfan Crew Chief

Total Sportec had an article where they said parent company of F1 got $40 million a year to host an F1 race.

13. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

Well, substantial changes will be coming under the new ownership. Whether they will be smart or successful changes remains to be seen.

14. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

I'll believe it when I see it. So much politicking in F1 that nothing ever actually seems to get done. "Oh, we're going to do this in Year 20XX!" Then it never happens or lasts for one month or one year or something.

gnomesayin and Greg like this.
  15. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Big sanction fees and the overall cost of hosting a GP are often way too high. A lot of tracks just can't put together enough money anymore or lose their major source of funding that helps put it on.

Zerkfitting, Greg and darlingtonfan like this.
  16. Get That 88 Up There !!

17. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

Breakdown of today.

Massa to Williams out of retirement:

Bottas to Merc:

Wehrlein to Sauber:

Mr. Gregory, FLRacingFan and Greg like this.
  18. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

http://m.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38734708

Here's some hints at Ross Brawn's thinking. I like a lot of what he says generally: no short term band-aids and stunts (yes!), fix it from the ground up and close the gap down the grid. He seems to want to get rid of DRS. I'm all for that in theory, if they can produce cars that can actually overtake each other without it. As it is today I've accepted some form of it as a necessary evil. It's kind of like repeal and replace, if you know what I mean.

It stings a little to read him state that they need to make rules to reward innovation less. That feels like it's against the spirit of what the whole thing is about. But with current regulations they already have them playing in a pretty small sandbox; it's a narrow type of innovation being rewarded that comes at a steep price. In theory I'd rather see rules opened up to allow for real engineering competition and allow teams to take risks with their designs. That may not be practical. His take on it sounds quite grounded in simply increasing the number of competitive cars on the track, and I can certainly get behind that goal.

Greg, FLRacingFan and Zerkfitting like this.
  19. Zerkfitting

Zerkfitting Team Owner

I think Brawn is trying to figure out a way to balance the high tech innovation vs. the quality of the racing. He wants all teams to have a chance at winning (or at least more than one team).

FLRacingFan, gnomesayin and Greg like this.
  20. Yogisd1

Yogisd1 Resident Retard

He wants to keep costs down, but innovation is expensive. Trying to keep the lesser funded teams competitive with the larger teams is going to be a difficult balancing act. What he absolutely doesn't want is turning F1 into a somewhat spec series. If someone can do it, Braun will be the guy that can.

21. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

I can't say whether or not it'll happen but I think Liberty will make a big push to restructure the prize money system, including distributing the "historical payments" a lot more fairly.

I'm also all for getting rid of the DRS band-aid, which has led to maybe the most uninspiring overtakes you can imagine. There isn't much less fulfilling than seeing someone get within a second of the car ahead and then just opening up the rear wing and sailing past. There are better ways to fix a processional nature of racing.

22. shark77

shark77 False Prophet

I think the easiest answer is in tires. Higher wear rates combined with a significant change in performance between fresh and worn. More pit stops, gamble to go in or stay out will be much more important.

23. Zerkfitting

Zerkfitting Team Owner

What is Historical Payments?

24. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Ferrari, Williams, Red Bull, Mercedes, and McLaren all get bonus payments either for their importance to the series or for their heritage - Ferrari in particular makes a killing off of these bonus payments.

[​IMG]

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123649

Zerkfitting likes this.
  25. Zerkfitting

Zerkfitting Team Owner

Weird - I wonder why Haas wanted to join.

26. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

It's interesting that the payment structure came up here recently, as this is part of what has triggered an upcoming investigation into F1 by European regulators on antitrust grounds. The accusation is that the payments being weighted so heavily toward the top established teams is anti-competitive and unfair. I'm tired, so the rest of all the shady financial shenanigans detailed here are going to make my head explode. But this could be big.

via Forbes

FLRacingFan and Marcingak like this.
  27. Marcingak

Marcingak Team Owner

He wants to market Haas Automation to a worldwide audience.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  28. LewTheShoe

LewTheShoe Team Owner

It's more convoluted than I realized. Thanks for posting. It may wind up being Bernie's final FU on his way out the door.

My guess is there will be a lot of posturing and hand wringing but Liberty winds up with the shares. The FIA may have to disgorge the 80 mil profit and both Liberty and FIA may have to make some promises going forward. I don't think anyone wants to see CVC involved any longer than necessary.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  29. Zerkfitting

Zerkfitting Team Owner

30. shark77

shark77 False Prophet

31. Get That 88 Up There !!

Looks really good, hopefully this year will be a step in the right direction for F1

32. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

The more I think about it the more I believe DRS overtakes will become so big this year. F1 has experience with extremely high-downforce cars before; look at the early- and mid-2000s. However, they obviously didn't have DRS back then. With all of the drag on these cars I think being able to open up the rear wing is going to make a ton of difference, unless they plan to shorten the length of the DRS zones.

gnomesayin likes this.
  33. DUN24

DUN24 Skeptical of the Spectacle.

IMG_3012.JPG

Goddamnnnnn this comparison has me stoked. The Sauber and the Renault look amazing. Can't wait to see the rest. I heard the Maclaren is going to be orange and white. Ferrari is supposedly going red/white.

The only one that's missed so far is Force India. Their car looks kinda haggard.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  34. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

********, Sauber needs a sponsor to fill some space.

Car looks pretty bare.

35. DUN24

IMG_3016.JPG
    Sauber does look pretty undersponsored, but it's gorgeous. I kinda like the bare carbon sharkfin. IMG_3015.JPG
    I like it alot

IMG_3013.PNG
    This one doesn't do it for me. IMG_3017.JPG
    Gotdamnnnnn

Mercedes looks promising. Love the logo. This car will be revealed tomorrow.

Reck and FLRacingFan like this.
  36. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

That Force India is atrocious.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  37. DUN24

Forgot about the Williams: IMG_3019.JPG IMG_3020.JPG
    Yeah it's like they didn't even try to make the giant piece of metal behind the rollhoop look aesthetically pleasing at all.

38. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Absolutely love the Sauber, Renault is solid, Force India is ugly. I think the Williams will have changed when they pull the covers off in public.

39. DUN24

Full-blown sharkfin?

40. Reck

Reck Team Owner

These look great. Thanks for posting Dun.

Force India and the Williams are the same old boring look.