F1: US Grand Prix - Austin

donthaveanickname

Team Owner
I really do not know why F1 always says they want to get more fans in the US and then hold the US Grand Prix at the same time with the Talladega Sprint Cup race.
Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea if the F1 Grand Prix would be held 2 weeks earlier when the cup race @ Charlotte is held Saturday.

The second practice session will start in a few minutes.
In the first practice the gap between the Mercedes and the rest of the world was nearly 2 seconds.

I don't think they consider NASCAR a competitor. And any given weekend for them would be up against NASCAR.

I think the Austin track is pretty cool. A colleague went to an F1 race there and he said every seat is good. He could see 3 corners from his seat.

I really do not know why F1 always says they want to get more fans in the US and then hold the US Grand Prix at the same time with the Talladega Sprint Cup race.
Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea if the F1 Grand Prix would be held 2 weeks earlier when the cup race @ Charlotte is held Saturday.
Last year, the arrogant Bernie Ecclestone scheduled the USGP opposite the Texas Sprint Cup race, located in Fort Worth just 3 hours drive up I-35 from Austin. He was warned of the consequences, but ignored the warnings. The USGP suffered horrible attendance (the weather was bad as well as the stupid choice of date). So Talladega is an improvement from that debacle.

Another race where Hamilton will blow the start. Meh

Well Hamilton finally got a good start.

Just tuned in. Haven't watched F1 in a while, but I might as well watch since they're here in Texas.

I'm not watching Talladega because I know the Chase / playoff hype will be bad today.

He is semi retired and he's been to Talladega before - a change in scenery for him.
Add in the fact that he gets one chance a year to take in an F1 race stateside as opposed to 30+ Nascar races and it isn't that surprising that he'd opt to go that route. I'd imagine Gordon loves all disciplines of racing, so this was an easy opportunity to take in a race as a fan.

Add in the fact that he gets one chance a year to take in an F1 race stateside as opposed to 30+ Nascar races and it isn't that surprising that he'd opt to go that route. I'd imagine Gordon loves all disciplines of racing, so this was an easy opportunity to take in a race as a fan.
Yep, he got to drive an F1 car when he and Montoya did the Trading Paint deal. Gordon had a fairly competitive lap and Montoya said the NASCAR was like driving a dump truck.

Me thinks Gordon could be recruiting Hamilton to run selected races in NASCAR. Namely the road courses.

Hamilton has already expressed interest in running the Glen. Gordon can make that happen.

Back
Top Bottom