Famous names in the #28

H

HardScrabble

The number 28 has a long and storied history in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series. It was the number Fred Lorenzen, driving for Holman-Moody, took into victory lane so many times. Fastback Freddie, also known as the Golden Boy, the Elmhurst Express, and Jitterbug, was one of my favorites back in the mid 60's. Back in 1964, the #28 Lafayette Ford was painted with a special white color that in certain lights appeared to be silver. The paint sold for a then astronomical $20 per gallon.

It was the number Hoss Ellington used in the early seventies to bring first Cale Yarborough and later Fred Lorenzen back to the circuit. Later, it was the number Harry Ranier used to propel his famous rockets to uncanny feats for Bobby Allison, Buddy Baker, and again, Cale Yarborough. In 1987, Ranier sold his famous team to Robert Yates with a driver named Davey Allison. Ernie Irvan, Dale Jarrett, the late Kenny Irwin, and Ricky Rudd have occupied this seat recently.

HS,oddly enough,I commented about Fred in a post just before this one caught my eye.He was one of my favorites as well...I think I had a soft spot for the #28 ever since those days.I hope the future is a bright as the past has been for the ol' number,and personally I would love to see Sadler in the ride.

Originally posted by TexasRaceLady
I never understood why Fred hung it up so early.  He was a racer.

Fred was a racer and an extremely talented one. From everything I have been able to learn since his early retirement and subsequent re entries to WC racing, his temperament caused him many problems. The nickname "Jitterbug" was given ot him because of his extreme nervousness arount the garage and pits priot to races. While some folks attributed it to being uncomfortable in the race cars, it my belief and many others, that Fred felt an intense pressure to succeed and feared failure above all else. He was not the first as this same pressure had caused the retirement of Tim Flock a few years before on medical advice that the pace and pressure were seriously affecting his health.

Anyway the story is the toll on Fred's mental and physical health were beginning to show and Fred elected to retire virtually at the prime of his skills. He was to make a couple of comebacks in the years following his retirement, but never again did he approach the levels of success which labeled him the Golden Boy of NASCAR in the mid '60's.

Thank you so much, HS, for the history lesson (brought back lots of memories).

Unfortunately, I have come to believe that there is a curse on the 28. When has there been anything BUT strife for this #.

Heaven help the next driver and I honestly wish there should be a GRAND goodbye to the 28, change it to 82 and say a lot of prayers.

Kat...Elliott Sadler Better watch out...But i dont think the # gonnas make all the difference...He'll have the same problems as with the 21 team, regardless of the #.

Back
Top Bottom