Fans assault KC 1st base coach

R

racerx11

Did any of you see this. These guys were idiots. I hope they do some serious time. There is no excuse for this. I'm only glad this didn't happen in Cleveland.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SNR: Gamboa on the attack | Shocking situation at Comiskey
CHICAGO -- With his eyes on home plate and his back to the seats, Tom Gamboa never saw them coming.

One second the Kansas City coach was standing near first base. The next he was slammed to the ground, a bare-chested father and his teenage son pummeling him.

"I felt like a football team had hit me from behind. Next thing I knew, I'm on the ground trying to defend myself," Gamboa said.

"It just happened so fast."

In a scene athletes have feared for years, Gamboa was attacked without warning by two fans who came out of the seats. The Royals rushed to his aid and the 54-year-old Gamboa escaped with a few cuts and a bruised cheek. He walked off the field to a standing ovation from the crowd at Comiskey Park, where the Royals beat the Chicago White Sox 2-1.

A folded-up pocket knife was found on the ground near the scene, and White Sox outfielder Aaron Rowand said he saw it slip out of one of the fan's pockets.

"I don't know what we can do to eliminate this," Gamboa said. "I'm grateful (the Royals) got there as quick as they could, especially when there was a knife involved. God forbid me or somebody else would get stabbed.

"That could have been really tragic."

The father, identified by police as 34-year-old William Ligue Jr., and his 15-year-old son were led off the field in handcuffs. They were charged with aggravated battery.

The son faces two juvenile charges of battery because he also struck a security guard. He was released to the custody of his mother Friday.

As they were being put into police cars, the father contended there had been an exchange with Gamboa.

"He got what he deserved," the elder Ligue said.

But Gamboa denied there was an exchange.

"I have never at any time ever verbally or physically acknowledged the people in the stands and I encourage players to just tune them out," Gamboa said Friday morning in an interview with Sporting News Radio. "To respond to it in any manner lets that idiot know that he is getting to you, and common sense tells you that it will just escalate.

"That did not happen in any way shape or form."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not know ho to post a link, but this story can be found on the Sporting News MLB KC site.

It is all they are talking about here in KC on the raido taday. But, as one caller stated, how did the two guys get out of there without any blood, bruises or black eyes? If I was in a "Rat Pack" you can bet there would have been a cleat to the groin at least!
It is a shame that these two "fans" had to do this!

That was crazy. I saw it on SportsCenter last night. The father looks a little on the crazy side anyway. No telling what he was on.

These are probably a couple of guys who got free tickets and know nothing or care nothing about the game of baseball. I can bet alchohol and drugs were a factor.

As a resident of the great City of Chicago...I think its important to point out that these too goofballs reside in Alsip, IL.

:p

I wonder what could profoke(sp) someone to go out an attack a coach... From what i've heard the coach didn't even do anyting.

:bs: I saw that on the news tis morning. Those guys were total morons. The team should still be smacking around on them.

Originally posted by WindyCityRacer
As a resident of the great City of Chicago...I think its important to point out that these too goofballs reside in Alsip, IL.

:p

It is a shame how two jackasses decide to represent there city in this manner. But don't worry WCR, I know it was probably a drunk and his son trying to make a name for themselves.

When they were about to stuff him in the car a reporter ask why they did it ....and he said the coach shot him the finger.

Back
Top Bottom