Fanvision Scanners

AdoubleU24

Team Owner
I was recently gifted a Fanvision scanner about a month ago after absolutely loving the one I used in Atlanta this past March for the first time. It came with a free 1 week activation (it's usually $18-$20 per race for weekend activation), so I got to use it for the first time this past weekend in Daytona. My excitement was quickly brought down a notch when I took it to the Racing Electronics hauler and found out that there is no over the air programming, you have to go to the hauler for activation and programming at each race - for a $230 device that is pretty inconvenient. I have a RE3000 scanner that was $20 more and does OTA. So - bummer #1.

Bummer #2...I realized about 10 minutes into the race that what I was hearing and what I was seeing with my own eyes was not matching up, so it became clear that it was falling behind. And by behind I mean as much as a half a lap - that's a pretty big difference at a place like Daytona. I restarted the scanner which takes about 4 mins or so to re-load, then you have to reconfigure your favorite driver/s, and change your audio settings if you don't want the PA and/or MRN broadcasts to also play while the standard scanner audio is playing. I had to do this 4 or 5 times over the course of the race as every 10-15 mins or so it would fall behind again. I finally gave up after a while.

Bummer #3...Battery life is atrocious, I had one red bar left at the end of the event and that's with me turning it off before the final restart. My 3000 will last me about 3 full races on a set of batteries.

I realized that this thing was not for me after all. I decided I wanted to return it and swap it out for another RE3000. The LED screen and all of the features it offers are great, but at the end of the day if the audio is not in real time, what good does it do me? I subscribe to the scanner audio thru the NASCAR app each season and it also is not real time, but provides lap times and on board, so why pay for a Fanvision scanner if my phone does the same thing?

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue, and maybe also to give folks a heads up to be cautious before purchasing.

I only rented one of these things once and experienced the delay issue. I still prefer my scanner setup overall.

What is your setup?

I'm assuming for the price of renting a scanner from RE for the day, one could just buy their own scanner from ebay and use it at any race?

The people to my left and right at Daytona had the Fanvision things and were constantly messing with them during the race. They were both newbies to a live race, so I guess they thought that was normal.

We used my RE headsets I've had for years, with the push to talk button and listened to the drivers and MRN all night. We had a Jumbo tron across from our seats to watch any replays of situations. All good. I can see the cars on the backstretch, but, usually watch the Jumbo screen when they are on the backstretch and then when they hit turn 3, go back to watching live till they exit turn 2, good stuff.

What is your setup?

I'm assuming for the price of renting a scanner from RE for the day, one could just buy their own scanner from ebay and use it at any race?
We have two RE sets. I don't remember the model numbers. We also have the 2-way communications. We bought them during one of their Christmas specials a while back.

I don't know what it costs to rent a scanner.

I rented one of these vs renting a scanner this year... All the features are nice but it is way too laggy. I prefer the scanners and the NASCAR app for T&S if I'm at the track. Keeping it simple.

I had free use of one at Martinsville a few years ago. After a few brief glances, I quickly started to ignore it. (We lucked into Sprint's skybox and had MRN on the suite's speakers.) The video required me to pay too much attention to it at the expense of missing what was actually happening on the track.

Nothing anyone has said here motivates me to give it a second try. I'll stick with my scanner.

I used to carry a scanner, binoculars, seat cushion, backpack (with all kinds of stuff) and a cooler to every race. Now, when I just go by myself the only thing I bring is a ticket and some $. I have found that I really enjoy the race more just watching and taking everything in.

I used to carry a scanner, binoculars, seat cushion, backpack (with all kinds of stuff) and a cooler to every race. Now, when I just go by myself the only thing I bring is a ticket and some $. I have found that I really enjoy the race more just watching and taking everything in.
Ticket, scanner, cushion, cooler (4 Pepsis, 2 frozen waters, 1.5 Subway sandwiches, maybe some peanuts). The sunscreen and book stay in the truck.

Honestly never tried the scanners provided at the track. Typically use Raceview at the track and it gets the job done.

Back
Top Bottom