Favorite college football team

buckaroo

Here kitty, kitty, kitty
Taking a cue from ESPN during the rain delay, what is your favorite college football team. Mine is OU, Oklahoma University. Been a Sooner fan for most of my life. When I was very young, I got to attend a game between OU and OSU (Oklahoma State). I can tell you that the song Wonderland by Night by Bert Kaempfert was one of the top tunes of the time (1960). OU won that game and I was hooked from then on. There have been many great moments in the history of OU football and of course, a lot of national championships. My favorite coach of the Sooners is Barry Switzer, but Bud Wilkinson and Chuck Fairbanks are close seconds. Bob Stoops is good too, but his style is so much different than the others. BTW, I lived in Iowa when Bobby was a Hawkeye. I wonder how many people know that Troy Aikman was recruited by Switzer and Troy was the starting QB for the Sooners in the 84-85 season. BTW, he beat Texas that year. While the Sooners were playing Miami that year, Troy broke his ankle and was lost for the rest of the season. Switzer was forced to change back to the wishbone offence and put in Jamelle Holieway and the Sooners went on to win the national title that year. Troy then transfered to UCLA and the rest is history. Switzer always called his teams "track meets" because he favored speed over ability and it really did pay off. Most of the better colleges at that time had the mind set of "3 yards and a cloud of dust". Now days, the college game is completely different. Bob Stoops is a good coach and follows if not leads, in coaching a passing game. I do enjoy this style and Bobby might well become my favorite one of these days, but let's see if he can win another title. He's had plenty of chances and only has one.

OU has had five Heisman Trophy winners with six more being runner up, Sam Bradford being the latest. Adrian Peterson probably should have won, but was runner up. The list of great players who played for OU is long. One that could have been the "best that never was", as ESPN put it, was Marcus Dupree. If you were fortunate to see him play, high school, college or pro, what a site.

Oh, I just saw that one of the biggest stars of the Sooners, Lee Roy Selmon, has just died. RIP

The University of Vermont Catamounts, undefeated since 1973:beerbang:

Maryland.

Fear the turtle!

turtle640.jpg

Scary

The Ohio State Buckeyes are my favorite team. The Florida State seminoles are my second favorite team and whoever is playing Michigan that week is my third favorite team.

I've been a Buckeyes fan for as long as I can remember. My favorite Buckeye player of all time is Chris Spielman. He played his high school ball at Massillon, which is pretty close to here. He was even on a Wheaties box while he was still in high school. Massillon is pretty famous as well with people like the legendary Paul Brown, Buckeyes coach Earl Bruce, and several other college and pro football hall of fame players among it's alumni.

It's hard to say who my favorite Buckeyes coach was. It's kind of a toss up between Woody Hayes and Jim Tressell.

My favorite Seminole player of all time is Deion Sanders, and of course Bobby Bowden is my favorite coach as he is the only coach they had in my lifetime until he retired a year or so ago.

Buckeyes all the way!! :beerbang:
Woody was an amazing coach, liked Tressell too, sorry to see him go.

Believe it or not --- my favs are Auburn, Alabama, and Ole Miss.

Have no clue why, just enjoy watching them.

A little OT -- my favorite college bands are the MOB(Marching Owl Band from Rice) and the Aggie band.

My favorite college team is the West Virginia Mountaineers...mainly because I have lived in WV my entire life AND I am a WVU grad! lol

My favorite college team is the West Virginia Mountaineers...mainly because I have lived in WV my entire life AND I am a WVU grad! lol

I like them a lot too. My family all comes from West Virginia on both sides, as does my wife's family. I spent a lot of time down there when I was younger. Mostly Buckhannon, Spencer and few other places. We also love Blackwater Falls.

Holy cow, we have two members of the clan from West Virginia! I guess I don't have to tell you about the jokes about WV. But seriously, is either one of your last names White?

Holy cow, we have two members of the clan from West Virginia! I guess I don't have to tell you about the jokes about WV. But seriously, is either one of your last names White?

LOL...mine isn't...but I am from Southern WV and know all about Jesco "The Dancing Outlaw" lol

Honestly, all that junk paints a picture of WV that does exist, but it is a small minority.

My last name isn't White, but I do know some of the Whites you may be refering to from down there. A cousin of mine is the mayor of Buckhannon currently, I do believe.

And I've heard most of the jokes about WVA, but I'm always up for new ones. They are mostly pretty funny, and I've met several people from down there that do seem to fit most of those stereotypes.

Like the one that goes...

"How do you compliment a girl from West Virginia?...That's a nice tooth ya got there" ;)

Ah yes, Jesco White. Many years ago I saw the documentaries, two of them, that introduced us to Jesco. Now that boy can daince! But wait, now there is the video of the rest of the family. You gotta love those wonderful Whites of West Virginia. ;)

:beerbang:

The Buckeyes really don't look all that good right now, but they still stomped Colorado this weekend 37-17. I'm really glad to see that they finally started Braxton Miller and played him virtually the whole game. I admire the loyalty they have shown Joe Bauserman, but it's painfully obvious that he is not the answer at QB.

:beerbang:

The Buckeyes really don't look all that good right now, but they still stomped Colorado this weekend 37-17. I'm really glad to see that they finally started Braxton Miller and played him virtually the whole game. I admire the loyalty they have shown Joe Bauserman, but it's painfully obvious that he is not the answer at QB.

I don't think they are going to be as strong this year. They will get better when the suspended players return but I don't see them having as much success as in previous years. If they do, I will be shocked.

Believe it or not --- my favs are Auburn, Alabama, and Ole Miss.

Have no clue why, just enjoy watching them.

A little OT -- my favorite college bands are the MOB(Marching Owl Band from Rice) and the Aggie band.

Crazy as it is since I've lived in Texas most of my life (6 years in Suckport, La.) I'm with ya TRL in the same order too, I also like University of Tennessee because I like their uniform colors, the only true orange in college today. Altho I did enjoy the hell out of Texas beating USC for the National Championship a few years back. I also like any team that beats any of the Fla. (professional college) teams.

Back
Top Bottom