Favorite Movies

A

ajk112802

As I "shouted" one of my favorite movies is on now so, I decided to ask the question: What are your Favorite movies (top few at least)? (Not necessarily what you think are the best made films ever, just your favorites, they may be one in the same, but they may not be).
I have my own ecclectic list, in no particular order:
1) Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead
2) A Bridge Too Far
3) Love Actually
4) Dead Poet's Society
5) When Harry Met Sally
6) The Princess Bride
7) The Muppet Movie (before you laugh at me, go watch it again!)
8) The Indiana Jones Trilogy (especially the third one)
9) The Right Stuff
10) M*A*S*H
*11) The Lion in Winter (the original w/ O'Toole and Hepburn)

1)Top Gun
2)Ghost
3)Pirates Of The Caribbean (all of them)
4)Montana Sky (Nora Roberts)
5)Carolina Moon (Nora Roberts)
6)Jessee Stone (all of them) Tom Selleck
7)Three Men and a Baby
8) Three Men and A Lady
9) Monte Walsh
10)Quigley Down Under
One that I forgot to add was Losing Isaiah.
Lots more, to many to name.:)

Well let's see ajk, I haven't seen 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 9. Tho I did like the Indiana Jones movies they don't make my top 10. The 4th could be interesting when it's released.
Nor 4, 5 or 9 on kellogs list. And 6 - 10 are marginal in my viewing tastes. Then again I didn't like Magnum so maybe that's a hint. As to Pirates, Depp did well in the 1st. The 2nd wasn't as good and I haven't seen the 3rd.
As to my favorites my 10 list fills quickly when I put in Star Wars 1 -6 and Lord of the Rings 1 -3. Blues Brothers. Wizard of Oz. And for eclectic I'd have to go with Deathrace 2000. The interaction between Carradine and Stallone (as the bad guy no less) was great.
My Tivo actor wish list includes Crowe, Jolie, Fishburne, Damon, Chan, Li, Seagal and my favorite actress Cynthia Rothrock.

Well, since I'm older than dirt, most of my favs are also ---
1. Mrs. Miniver --- Greer Garson
2. The Quiet Man --- John Wayne
3. The Bishop's Wife -- Cary Grant as the angel
4. Little Lord Fauntleroy --- Freddie Bartholomew
5. The Women -- Joan Crawford
6. The Philadelphia Story --- Katherine Hepburn
7. Donovan's Reef --- John Wayne
8. Since You Went Away -- Claudette Colbert
9. Desk Set --- Hepburn and Tracy
10. A Christmas Carol -- Alastair Sim
11. Dinner at Eight --- Marie Dressler, John & Lionel Barrymore, Wallace Beery, Jean Harlow -- outstanding cast for a small movie
12. The Scarlet Pimpernel --- Leslie Howard, Merle Oberon
13. Fred Astaire --- almost any movie he did

I'll start my list, but I know I'm going to forget a million of them. I'm like TRL in that while there are lots of good "new" movies, most of my favorites are a bit older. I consider a movie a favorite if I own it, or am willing to watch it over and over when it comes on TV.

I would say that my number one pick has got to be Where Eagles Dare with Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton. I've worn out that VCR tape and am about to purchase the DVD. Second on my all time list has to be White Christmas with der Bingle. That is one movie that I have to see each and every year. Just about any John Wayne movie will make my list, but probably at the top is one of TRL's picks, Donovan's Reef, also with Lee Marvin. I love action thrillers and war movies probably the most with a few horror flicks thrown in like The Exorsist and funny as it may seem, The Blair Witch Project really intrigued me and I must consider it a fav. The old Mike Hammer and Phillip Marlowe movies are also tops with me, no matter who is playing the lead, but of course, Bogie as Marlowe is the best.

The old Mike Hammer and Phillip Marlowe movies are also tops with me, no matter who is playing the lead, but of course, Bogie as Marlowe is the best.

What? No love for the Bulldog Drummond movies?

Now I'm reminded of an old Mike Hammer movie with Ralph Meeker as Hammer in Kiss Me Deadly. This is a great movie and it has two different endings. While this is something that is now common place on DVD's, this movie is not new by any stretch of the imagination so it was sort of ahead of its time. One ending was shown in Europe while the other was shown in the US. If you like film noirs, this one will satisfy you. :)

True Grit is my favorite movie ever. I remember going to the theater to see it.

True Grit is my favorite movie ever. I remember going to the theater to see it.

Ah yes, I can see old Rooster's reaction when a bad man says to him "That's pretty big talk for a one eyed fat man!" Rooster puts the reins in his teeth and grabs a gun in both hands and says, "Fill your hand you son of a b**ch". Yes, that's a scene I'll never forget. :)

Ah yes, I can see old Rooster's reaction when a bad man says to him "That's pretty big talk for a one eyed fat man!" Rooster puts the reins in his teeth and grabs a gun in both hands and says, "Fill your hand you son of a b**ch". Yes, that's a scene I'll never forget. :)

IMHO that was John Wayne's best ever movie.

Oh, yes, buck, that was the best scene in the whole movie. :) :)

That movie finally got him an Oscar.

Hmmm. I don't see too many of my favorites on any of your lists but...

1. Falling Down...starring Michael Douglas, Robert Duvall and others
2. Dog Day Afternoon/And Justice For All(tie)...starring Al Pacino
3. The Silence of the Lambs...starring Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins
4. Cool Hand Luke...starring Paul Newman, George Kennedy & others
5. The Godfather (all were good but the 1st was my favorite)
6. A Bronx Tale...starring and written by Chaz Palmenteri (sp?) and co-starring Robert DeNiro
7. First Blood (only the first one, the others sucked)...starring Sylvester Stallone
8. Rocky (all of them were great, but the 1st was my favorite)
9. Raising Arizona...starring Nicolas Cage
10. The Blues Brothers...starring John Belushi and Dan Ackroyd(sp?)

honorable mention...Caddyshack, Raging Bull, Stripes, Groundhog Day, Heat, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, almost any other Al Pacino or Robert DeNiro film.

I know I forgot some, but it is almost midnight and my brain already went to sleep. ;)

two of my favorites are:

Stalag 17 - cast of many recognized names

The Great Escape - Steve McQueen, James Garner and many more

Child's Play
Batman
Batman Returns
Cars
Meet The Parents
Little Nicky
Jackass
Jackass II
The 40-Year Old Virgin

There's more. I just can't think of anything else at the moment.

two of my favorites are:

Stalag 17 - cast of many recognized names

The Great Escape - Steve McQueen, James Garner and many more

Those are two of my favorites as well. I acutally read the book "The Great Escape" and there saw maps of the three tunnels.

Buck, a few years ago I rented a DVD of The Great Escape when my, at that time 10 yr old, granddaughter was visiting us. She enjoyed the movie so much that she called her dad the next day and told him all about the movie. She loved Steve McQueen.

Buck, a few years ago I rented a DVD of The Great Escape when my, at that time 10 yr old, granddaughter was visiting us. She enjoyed the movie so much that she called her dad the next day and told him all about the movie. She loved Steve McQueen.

That was a terrific movie and McQueen did most of his own stunts. The wife and I both are big fans of Steve.

I forgot several of my all-time favorites when I did this last. A few others I've thought of since...

Rebel Without a Cause...James Dean defined "cool" in that movie

The Waterfront...with Marlon Brando

Tombstone...Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday was priceless

The Executioner's Song...starring Tommy Lee Jones (based on a true story)

The Fugitive...starring Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones

The Marathon Man...starring Dustin Hoffman

Good Will Hunting...excellent acting and a great story

James Dean set the standard in Rebel Without A Cause. He is deserving of his following due to only 3 movies.

Best Years Of Our Lives
Shawshank Redemption
Cider House Rules
Casablanca
Sleepless In Seattle
Murphy's Romance
The Green Mile
Jerry McGuire
Mr. Roberts
Twelve O'Clock High

Could add a few more as there were some wonderful films made in the days efore everybody thought it was appealing to see how many times they could use the "f" word.
Just saw "Knocked Up" and the movie could have been good, except, continuous use of the "f" word was forced. Profanity does have a place but not for shock value.
See, someone asks for ten favorite movies and Da Whizzer gives a speach. So what else is new ????? :bounce:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Paul Newman & Robert Redford

Back
Top Bottom