Fernando Alonso

In all seriousness, I'd love to see him run the Roval or the other road courses. Same with Jordan Taylor.

In all seriousness, I'd love to see him run the Roval or the other road courses. Same with Jordan Taylor.
I'm actually serious about this weekend. Hell when Janet Guthrie missed the show at Indy they got her in the 600. Chip, make it happen Bud.

I think Alonso would want to take time get used to the car before jumping in cold for a Cup race. Other open wheel drivers tried the lower series first (and open wheel drivers don't have a good record in NASCAR).

I think Alonso would want to take time get used to the car before jumping in cold for a Cup race. Other open wheel drivers tried the lower series first (and open wheel drivers don't have a good record in NASCAR).
Hes a race car driver, if Guthrie can do it so can he. ;)

Couldnt HMS or Gibbs put Fernando in a car by saying "hes a rookie", they can get around 4 cars that way. It'd be pretty cool if he showed up at the 600 ready to race after missing out yesterday. Not sure he'd do well but i'd pay to see him run Watkins Glen in a Cup car or the Roval races.

I was thinking about how RF could help Fernando with this. Giving him a good ole boy nick name, or Bobby Ray Hall (Bobby Rahal) ing seems like a nobel cause to me.

"Fern Anna" would work for a girl, but l aint got nothing for Fernando.

I was thinking about how RF could help Fernando with this. Giving him a good ole boy nick name, or Bobby Ray Hall (Bobby Rahal) ing seems like a nobel cause to me.

"Fern Anna" would work for a girl, but l aint got nothing for Fernando.
:XXROFL:

Would be a tough deal for Alonzo imo. The 500 is loaded with a lot of practice time in cars that have a lot more in common with his experience. Getting into a full bodied cup car with only a few hours of practice would be tough, or not enough prep.

What Guthrie did was great but it was more of an attrition battle then. Keeping the car clean and not breaking would get you a respectable finish.
Getting a get a good finish in Sundays race will be a lot more demanding, most cars will finish and race hard for the full 600 miles.
A one and done that would not really represent his talent or skills very well, imo.

Would be a tough deal for Alonzo imo. The 500 is loaded with a lot of practice time in cars that have a lot more in common with his experience. Getting into a full bodied cup car with only a few hours of practice would be tough, or not enough prep.

What Guthrie did was great but it was more of an attrition battle then. Keeping the car clean and not breaking would get you a respectable finish.
Getting a get a good finish in Sundays race will be a lot more demanding, most cars will finish and race hard for the full 600 miles.
A one and done that would not really represent his talent or skills very well, imo.
Oh I know its a pipe dream and he probably would be too apprehensive to come in blind. Race car drivers have egos and to look like a rookie wouldn't sit well. People out there clucking at him and stuff.

Hes a race car driver, if Guthrie can do it so can he.
I agree that Alonso can drive anything. But there is difference in eras when Guthrie did it and now, I don't think he can jump into any race car and be competitive without practice with the car and actually running it in traffic (open wheel drivers probably have a hard time learning about bumping and banging the cars).

Oh I know its a pipe dream and he probably would be too apprehensive to come in blind. Race car drivers have egos and to look like a rookie wouldn't sit well. People out there clucking at him and stuff.

The more l think about the more l like it. Alonso would have the eyes of a world wide audience, whats not to like.

He has also been classy in his two Indy attempts. A fierce competitior but a respectful one. He killed McLaren efforts to buy him into this years race.
He said something like a driver had to earn it, and Servia had earned the right to race this Sunday. (paraphrased).

That's a good man.

Quick, someone get him a ride for the 600.
Sadly the day when drivers from other series would show up at a big Cup race seems to be over. I remember years back how exciting it was to see who had entered the Daytona 500. Not anymore. I think the last one I really got excited about was Al Unser in the 46. That was right around Gordon's first year.

Montoya was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He is a superstar driver.
I’d wager he’d still be kicking ass in Indy Car if The Captain didn’t move him over to IMSA. Most bad ass CART/Indy Car driver I’ve ever seen.

Successful Drivers crossing over to other series is one of the most interesting stories in Motorsports.

I'm a huge fan because of the insight an exchange-type driver can provide in informing Motorsport fans about the obvious as well as nuanced distinctions in piloting different race machines. Add to that, being able to witness the challenges of competition.

Back
Top Bottom