FIA Postpones F1 Driver Aids Ban Until 2004

N

NateDogg

FIA Postpones F1 Driver Aids Ban Until 2004

F1 cars will continue with their their electronic driver aids for the rest of the year after all.

The ban on driver aids such as launch control, traction control and fully automatic gearboxes in Formula 1, scheduled to begin at this year's British Grand Prix, has been delayed until the start of the 2004 season by the sport's governing body, the FIA.

An FIA statement explained that it was reluctant to commit to a substantial investment in devices to police the ban on driver aids until the arbitration proceedings undertaken by Williams owner Frank Williams and McLaren boss Ron Dennis have been resolved, because of fears that the FIA could lose the case and be forced to renege on the rule changes.

"The full enforcement of the long-established ban on in-car driver aids will be delayed until the first race of the 2004 season,” the FIA declared. “If current uncertainties have not been resolved before the deadline for ordering the technical devices [to police the ban] for 2004, competing teams will be required to demonstrate the absence of driver aids to the satisfaction of the stewards at each event of 2004 and subsequent Championships."

FIA President Max Mosley announced back in January that driver aids would be outlawed from the start of this season, although this date was later delayed until the British Grand Prix to allow F1 teams time to prepare for the ban.

======================================

Personally, all I think this is going to do is make the good drivers better.

What the hell?! That isnt right at all. Those back running teams despretly need electronics gone if the top three teams are to be toppled. I cant believe this. Well looks like Brazil will be the last exciting race because after that the 2003-GA will hit the track and Ferrari will be back to winning ways.

yeah, on one hand a person wants F1 to be faster and faster, but on the other one wants better racing. Its a step backward, but will be better to watch...I think. Looking at both sides, its what the smaller teams need, but will percise drivers like MS, just be able to pull away more? Mabey, but I agree, most likley it will be better racing, brutal on the tyers though :lol:

Well looks like Brazil will be the last exciting race because after that the 2003-GA will hit the track and Ferrari will be back to winning ways.

The glass is half full.
If the new mclaren is everything its susspose to be, the new williams is good enough to win, many, according to ralf, and the renault is proving its self, you never know.

I want the driver aids banned, but at the same time, I support the decision to wait until 2004. I don't think that such a tremendous change should be made in the middle of the season. It's kind of like NASCAR and the one-engine rule. They were originally going to phase it in mid-season, but backed off, because drivers didn't want to have a big change like that happen in the middle of a points race. My $.02.

Well I can understand the decision to wait but I think that the Ferrari is so good because of electronics. Without them they would be half the team. Shumacher isn't perfect, we have seen a lot of that lately and personally I think Shuei is either rattled because of McLaren or lost his golden touch. Loss of electronics will wear the tyres quicker and that would be my main reason for waiting because the tyre manufactures will not be ready to compensate for the loss of grip.

Must give teams confidence in the governing body for them to be swapping and changing their minds like the wind. Make up your minds boys!! Geez, it really can’t be THAT hard.

Back
Top Bottom