Final NTSB report on Junior's plane crash

TexasRaceLady

Plank Owner
Contributor
Oh, wow.

Reactions: Pat
I listened to Juan Brown back in July and without assigning blame because the FAA final report wasn't out yet, he went thru the whole mess and it is in layman's language.

I don't know what they were thinking, but the pilots REALLY screwed the pooch on that one. If there is ANY doubt, you abort and try again. Arrogance and over confidence are killers when aircraft are involved. If you get a chance, look up the story of the pilot who refused to listen to some friendly advice and nearly got himself, Cale Yarborough and Junior Johnson killed on a landing at Timmonsville SC. Luckily, he only destroyed his airplane.

Looks might pilot error caused the wreck and pilot talent saved the crew and members aboard.

so no traction on the crazy idea that JR was at the controls.

The ****pit voice recorder would tell the tale

Does anybody think that a non-insane person without a pilot's license would attempt to land a jet at a tricky airport with his wife and child onboard? They must not think very much of Dale Jr.

Does anybody think that a non-insane person without a pilot's license would attempt to land a jet at a tricky airport with his wife and child onboard? They must not think very much of Dale Jr.

Jr. prob knows/knew his pilots personally. Im sure hes curious about the plane maybe even wanted to take his private pilots license. Its not unthinkable that they pilots would let the boss take over while they "supervise" like in any work place. Dangerious here tho. Glad there is no evidence for it

Vertical airspeed indicates 1500 fpm 5 seconds before landing...that’s dropping like a stone.

Jr. prob knows/knew his pilots personally. Im sure hes curious about the plane maybe even wanted to take his private pilots license. Its not unthinkable that they pilots would let the boss take over while they "supervise" like in any work place. Dangerious here tho. Glad there is no evidence for it

And somebody thinks that very protective Amy would actually ALLOW that while she is sitting ten feet away with her infant child? I will also mention that the ****pit in those planes is so small that one of the pilots would have had to make a real effort to get out of his seat and go to the back.

Stones and airplanes fall out of the sky at the same speed.
I was in a Piper Twin Comanche flying around the squall from a hurricane (long story) when we were vectored INTO the squall by Air Force ATC. With the throttles pulled back to idle, our airspeed was 220 knots and the Vertical Speed Indicator was showing cycles of +1000 fpm and -1000 fpm. The drops were so hard, my head banged against the ceiling. That was the single scariest thing I've ever experienced...and it lasted 20 minutes until we cleared the weather.

To be dropping at 1500 fpm...I just can't imagine...I can see how the pilot's judgement could be effected.

I was in a Piper Twin Comanche flying around the squall from a hurricane (long story) when we were vectored INTO the squall by Air Force ATC. With the throttles pulled back to idle, our airspeed was 220 knots and the Vertical Speed Indicator was showing cycles of +1000 fpm and -1000 fpm. The drops were so hard, my head banged against the ceiling. That was the single scariest thing I've ever experienced...and it lasted 20 minutes until we cleared the weather.

To be dropping at 1500 fpm...I just can't imagine...I can see how the pilot's judgement could be effected.
Hope you brought extra toilet paper.

Back
Top Bottom